Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209164 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2009, 08:40:00 pm »

about adventurer mode...
what skills are the best to start out with?
and can you raise all of your skills or only your starting ones?

It's best to start with some swimming. So that if you fall in a pond you can learn to swim instead of drowning. You can throw 100s of things to gain skill in throwing, but it's nice to have some starting levels.  (throw 600 things to reach legendary thrower... note: there are stacs of 600 coins in a shop).

You can raise any skill that you can manage to use (if you make custom modded weapons, that means ALL of the skills are possible).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:08 pm »

So, I add the Orcs and start a new world. I create a fortress in the desert with an aquifer and magma pool (this combination, I have learnt, is very good, because you can use the magma pool's rock surroundings to get under the aquifer, the lava makes for a good forge system and in this particular fort I found gold ore beneath the aquifer). All is going well, until after a serious of artefact-constructions I end up with 51 dwarves, 10 beds and no wood...yeah, this isn't working very well so far. I think that artefact golden cup must have been cursed.

Then, the Orcs arrive. 12 of them. I decide to cull my population somewhat recruit all 48 adult Dwarves into the military and a battle begins. Eventually, all that's left is one heavily wounded Orc and one heavily wounded Axedwarf. The epic battle between the two ends in the Orc being decapitated before the Axedwarf gives in to his wounds and dies.

All that's left in my fortress is 3 children. They survive for a bit, until one goes melanchony and kills himself, and another goes beserk. The beserk child beats the last, sane child to death and the fortress ends.

But the tale doesn't end there...oh no, I visit the fortress in adventure mode and my character is soon attacked and killed by this same child. I wonder if the brute still wanders the empty halls as Orcish and Dwarven corpses continue to rot in the desert above...

So, yeah. I've since taken to limiting my population to about 10 (editing init.txt) until I get a good housing area set up for my Dwarves :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:11:35 pm by TheDarkJay »

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:37 pm »

LOL

I spent the last 25 minutes throwing coins to become a legendary thrower.
The first thing I did was fight some wolves.
I looked through my inventory and saw a small silk sock, so I through it at the wolf.
The results?
3 broken bones...
Then I through an old dwarven corpse and broke a wolf spine.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »

Well, I didn't know there was a graveyard stock designation (I thought my  dwarves would just drag the dead to my refuse pile) ... so the mayor just  sat in his throne and slowly rotted before the many dwarves who came to his office.

I feel sorry for these dwarves who gave their lives so willingly to an omniscient power who ended up to be not so omniscient after all.

The next fortress of dwarves should  be eternally grateful for the sacrifices of those who were less fortunate then themselves!
Wikipédia says its actually better to bury your death dwarves on coffins or tombs. Dwarves are omniscient for most things too, such as knowing that their beloved ones are rooting in some hole instead of buried :)

And omniscient is he who sees everthing. Dwarf fortress is a game where players CAN see everthing, and this little extra detail makes a lot of difference :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2009, 05:58:34 am »

Wikipedia has articles on burying dead dwarves?
DFWIKI != Wikipedia
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »

Wikipedia has articles on burying dead dwarves?
DFWIKI != Wikipedia
struct wikipédia
{
char DFWIKI[OMG] ;
} ;
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »

So I'm new to Dwarf Fortress and this is my first fortress. I've been reading wiki articles like a fiend trying to give my poor dwarfs a fighting chance But... big surprise, things took a sudden turn for the worse after my second migration...

So all of a sudden one of my new imigrants decides to experience a 'mood' and makes her way to the crafting workshop relieve her crafting urges. So she chases away my mayor of 56 dwarfs and starts her personal quest... but unfortunately she doesn't have all the supplies she needs, So I think oh well, she'll get over it and I focus on making the apartments for the new migrants that arrived to the fortress.

WRONG!

Fast forward and I get the notification that she has gone berserk

Oh well, that can't be too wrong right? Well, first thing she does is walk to the bedroom of the dwarf she chased out f the workshop, which happened to be my fortress mayor, and she kills him while he's sitting on his throne.

So that ends up being a major bummer for all my dwarfs. She goes on to kill 8 more dwarfs before she gets struck down by the fortress cook. (Maybe he's related to Steven Segal -- Under Siege)

Well, I didn't know there was a graveyard stock designation (I thought my  dwarves would just drag the dead to my refuse pile) ... so the mayor just  sat in his throne and slowly rotted before the many dwarves who came to his office.

That caused a fair bit of discontent with my dwarves. One by one they either become melancholy or went berserk because of the horrible sight of their beloved founder mayor you was decaying before their very eyes!

The miasma was all over the place when we received the notification that the fortress was being ambushed by some marauding goblins. Talk about bad timing!

At this point half the population is melancholy, so they are totally ignoring the impending threat. As a last resort, all dwarves are conscripted into the royal guard and are sent to the gates to defend against the goblin menace that has already destroyed all of the dwarven wood-choppers and were quickly making their way towards the fortress entrance.

The resulting battle was epic to say the least. Even while morning their fallen fortress leader the dwarves fought on strong as they could. In the end, they were technically victorious. But so many dwarves were cut down that the survivors could not be relied upon to function as normal dwarves. Melancholy reigned supreme and the population slowly dwindled to extinction.

I feel sorry for these dwarves who gave their lives so willingly to an omniscient power who ended up to be not so omniscient after all.

The next fortress of dwarves should  be eternally grateful for the sacrifices of those who were less fortunate then themselves!

That is good stuff there.  :D

Cogsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2009, 11:20:26 pm »

So in one of my earlier forts ( think it was the....4th? 5th?) I had finally managed to figure out DF to stop my inexperience/badluck from ruining me(worst case of bad luck. "You population has grown to 80! The Baron has arrived!The dragon Ember Firerapes has arrived!" Another particularly bad case was more inexperience, I had a surplus of engravers so every dwarf had a personal room, that was smoothed, engraved had a coffer, cabinet, table, chair and randomly, a statue. Then the tax collector arrived and I had a collection of sullen, tantruming hobos.)

Anyway I figure everything going well, and none of the dwarves are miserable, despite the economy, and the baron & consort are happy, despite not fine enough rooms. Apparently they're ahppy because they keep making satisfying acquisitions. I'm a little curious so I go check out their rooms.

The Baron had managed to gather up about 10 different "restraints"(chains, ropes you name it) and leave them about his room, is wearing 3 different pairs of leather pants, simultaneously, and nothing else. His consort in the meantime has requisitioned every whip the goblins have ever brought.

At this point...well fire was the only option.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:17 am »

LOL

I spent the last 25 minutes throwing coins to become a legendary thrower.
The first thing I did was fight some wolves.
I looked through my inventory and saw a small silk sock, so I through it at the wolf.
The results?
3 broken bones...
Then I through an old dwarven corpse and broke a wolf spine.
I want to see what happens when you enter a store and use it's contents to kill all the guards and the store owners.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2009, 01:44:05 pm »

So I read in the wiki that to my surprise and unlike floors et al, constructed stairs won't make things inside.  That means that if you dig a skylight and build a stairway out of up/down stair constructions in it, it will still count as outside, making it a good way to fight cave adaptation.

So, I started digging away one of my old staircases to try this on.  During the process, my sole surviving original miner was hit by a rock that was dug out from several z-levels up and killed.  Since he was also a highly-skilled glassmaker, he will be sorely missed, and will probably never really be replaced.

And then I noticed that the wiki was wrong about stairs not making things inside.

My dwarf, one of the originals of my fort, gave his life to correct a wiki entry :'(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2009, 01:49:49 pm »

I was desalinating water by pumping into a building on the First Z level (actually the bottom level of a ship in Dry Dock). Since the water would naturally flow out I figured that I could build a floodgate and hook it up to a lever in order to seal the building before all the water emptied. Well, the plan was solid, but my dwarves were all to busy to pull the lever. The water gushed out of the building, hit the Pump Operator and swept him out to sea. A lot of water+small exit hole = lots of presure.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »

Ah, nothing like tapping a underground pool for the first time x.x

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »

So. I build a wall, with a door in one end, and a lever, set the lever for useless nobles, and wait.
The countess comes in, pulls the lever, nothing happens. She turns around to leave, and the door's locked.
Meanwhile, the hammerer goes to pull the OTHER lever, but buggers off just before doing so, in order to have a drink.
Then the baron consort shows up, yanks the lever, and wanders off, flooding the room the countess is in. Whoops. Or not.
So, the water floods in. Slowly. And guess what? She learns to SWIM. So, now she's bobbing there, in 5/7 water, STARVING TO DEATH. Slowly.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2009, 12:15:35 am »

I goofed up making a skylight for my dining hall.  Made a little one-tile cave-in.  On a champion carrying her baby.  Right in front of her husband.

It's certainly not as amazing a story as the others, certainly, but it was the first moment in the game I really felt for the dwarves, so it was a milestone.

I have often thought of creating a sim-type roguelike, even before I'd heard of Dwarf Fortress (I'm a real addict of the Sierra/Impressions games, slightly less of Tilted Mill).  But I will *never* be able to make a game that can create the stories I've just spent the last hour laughing and cringing over.  Perhaps that's a little tragedy that my efforts will never measure up, but "losing" that way has never been more fun.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2009, 01:31:16 am »

wrong thread...

but while im here i had a dwarf smooth then fortificate a lava inlet then run in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:43:29 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38