Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209146 times)

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:53 pm »

Its quantum mechanics man, the baby stays alive and death until you decide to do something about it, then it resolves to the most likely :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:21 pm »

Picture this: Urist McWrestler and Urist McHammerdude just staved off a goblin ambush (my other 13 champions decided it would be a good time to projectile vomit all over the trade depot).Then all of a sudden: BAM a dragon appears 15 tiles away from my bridge. I order dwarfs to stay indoors and prayed the two heros would make it back before I pulled the lever that would bring up the bridge (I know I probably could have killed the dragon with the 15 dwarfs but I didn't want any injuries and just wanted to kill him with my crossbowmen). Well my wrestler made it, but McHammerdude and some poor woodcutter didn't. They both fell and drowned just as the dragon was 3 tiles away. I gave him the best damn funeral a dwarf could get.

P.S. One of the goblins they killed was named "secretiveincest". I lol'd heartily
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:01:48 am by taf_esra »

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2009, 12:00:12 am »

Double post. my bad.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2009, 12:13:51 am »

In one of my forts, I had a lot of mining accidents involving the deaths of several legendary miners, and for that fort I abandoned my habit of save scumming.

So, as I'm trying to dam the shortest underground river with a chunk of ruck above it, I make sure that no one is around who would fall into the chasm, and dig the final piece. Except, that the large rock chunk doesn't fall. It's being mysteriously supported by an up stair case that doesn't even have anything above it. So I order the miner to remove that.

Immediately the chunk falls, crushing another of my legendary miners underneath it. Unfortunately, I didn't check for nearby dwarves. Several fisherdwarves, some carrying children, and a few champions filling their waterskins were knocked out by the cave in, and fell into the chasm.

I didn't really feel sad about it. Apparently, if you don't have any attachments to your dwarves, then you don't care what happens to them. This opinion might have been influenced by losing several of my original seven to the aforementioned mining accidents or failed moods.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2009, 03:47:35 am »

I just witnessed a werewolf get strangled to death by children. Is there anything left in this game capable of surprising me?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2009, 03:54:59 am »

I just witnessed a werewolf get strangled to death by children. Is there anything left in this game capable of surprising me?

leave enough bones around the entrance to your fortress and all the "bonecarn" predators take care of themselves.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2009, 06:51:18 pm »

I was attacked by a dragon tonight...

A 2 legged dragon. It apparently had both of them torn off shortly after being born.

Since it had been in constant pain its entire life it had no stats. It showed up and fell unconcious, and laid on the road rolling around in torment for 4 months till I put it out of its misery.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2009, 08:58:05 pm »

I just started a fortress, between the wolves, imps and random drowning, I managed to get down to 3 of my original 7, all three were as unhappy as could be cause everyone died, 2 of them get married which brings there spirits up, and the third goes melancolly, the married couple is the only reason my fort was able to pull it through the next few weeks until 25 migrants arrive

DisembodiedFoot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »

Hello all; this is my first post ;D

I drafted a couple of peasants, armored them up and set them to wrestling. About three quarters of the way to champion one of the two gave birth to the first baby dwarf my fort ever had. Some time later during an ambush the baby dies, apparently from being used as a shield. Its mother must have gone crazy because she keeps canceling sparring sessions because she's looking for her dead kid.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2009, 12:38:19 am »

I draft a new peasant and tell him to spar.

One second into sparring he's down and knocked out- yup, he has a brain injury.

Within five minutes, kobold ambush. I send my military in, and he dies.

So much for a new life at the frontier :'(

(This is in a civ that's been almost entirely wiped out by goblins and elves, and is currently at war with the elves. Traders brought leather armor with an image of elves and dwarves on it in tin. The elves are massacring the dwarves.)
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2009, 12:58:07 am »

1) I got a soaper, and i told him to hunt, hoping he would get executed by a crocodile or something- He punches the croc in the head, knocks it out, eventually manages to punch it to death, then goes to the nearest pond and commits suicide.

2) a legless elite hammergoblin vs. 17 Legendary Wrestler/Hammerdwarves. half of the hammerdwarves had artifact goblin bone hammers.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »

In adventure mode a peasant snatched my sword from my hands and killed me with it... bastard :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2009, 02:48:53 pm »

In adventure mode a peasant snatched my sword from my hands and killed me with it... bastard :)
In adventure mode a peasant took out the sword I had stuck in his guts and chopped my head off with it.... then he bled to death.

Berrylee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:08 pm »

Oh god.

My bucket brigade has been building a tall tower of ice for some time now. The Queen is living happily on the 20th z-level in her engraved ice chambers, and the base of the tower is on a small hill. Come mid-summer, I'm looking over the magma forges under the hill and suddenly see "A sculpture of Urist McEngraver has melted!" and "The Queen has died after colliding with an obstacle!". I go up the z-levels, and sure enough, only a few blocks of ice remain of the tower. Water is running down the hill everywhere, and in it there are streams of blood. The queen's limbs and her severed head are floating around in the happily flowing water, leaving trails of red.

I wonder if I abandon now and go back to the fort as an adventurer I can recover her head and bash enemies with it or throw it through their kidneys.

Weird though, I was almost positive that ice does not melt in this biome and think I even had some test blocks outside in the sun for a while. It was on the edge of another biome, however.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:23:53 pm by Berrylee »

hyperbox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2009, 10:55:05 am »

I have a fortress with a massive chasm open to the surface, out of which a steady trickle of batmen and other random critters appears. Starting off, I try to keep my dwarves indoors as much as possible, but while trying to build a trade depot one of my miners is attacked by a batman. He takes a swing at it with his pick, which gets stuck in the batman, and runs. The batman stumbles around outside my fortress falling unconscious every couple steps for a few days, scaring dwarves and cats. A merchant caravan comes through and kills him. The miner gets his pick back, and years later the batman's skull becomes an artifact, and his bones become practice bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38