Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209485 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #465 on: May 22, 2012, 08:39:14 pm »

Be that as it may, I still have lost 10 children.  The lack of tantrum spiral implies that my dwarves simply dont care very much.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 22, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »

Super hardened dwarves eh? :D
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 22, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »

Holy crap. I took your clothing advice and most are calming down, but one went berzerk right next to a dog and a macedwarf. Then he knocks the mace dwarf into a river, and he fucking drowns. The kid killed a mace dwarf. Fortunately, the dog bit him to death. Actually, by reading the combat logs, it appears the macedwarf was still hitting the kid while drowning. It would explain why he drowned on a ramp.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:17:05 pm by misko27 »

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #468 on: May 26, 2012, 04:35:47 am »

Traders annoyed me so I sent in my military. All hell broke loose and dwarves turned on each other.

Eventually there was one man standing, the last remaining member of the military and the new mayor. He's either very pissed off or he has gone mad.

Migrants rocked up, he promptly slaughtered them, and their animals. And any living thing he sees.

Its been ages now, he's obliterated a few migrant waves. He's also an axelord and has named his axe.

Oh and he has 60 kills. All dwarven.

I cant abandon the fort because he'll probably rock up in a migrant wave and still be pissed off/crazy.

I did manage to lock him in a room, checked him out, he looked OK. Released him and he slaughtered everyone(again). I'm a bit sad to make him starve to death but doesnt seem like any other option now.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 26, 2012, 04:39:01 am »

holy crap. I took your clothing advice and most are calming down, but one went berzerk right next to a dog and a macedwarf. Then he knonks the mace dwarf into a river, and he fucking drowns. The kid, killed a mace dwarf. fortunately, the dog bit him to death. Actually, by reading the combat logs, it appears the macedwarf was still hitting the kid while drowning. It would explain why he drowned on a ramp.
That is crazy. And some would say dwarven too.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 26, 2012, 05:51:36 am »

He's either very pissed off or he has gone mad.

Check his personality screen and see if he has any lines of "He is an enemy of the (civ/groupname)".  Potentially, attacking and killing members of your home civilization have marked him as a foe to that civilization, meaning he'll automatically interpret anyone from that civ as being on about the same level as goblins.

I'm not entirely sure on this so don't quote me as having stated absolute fact, but I do think I've seen similar cases.  Was actually planning on abusing it at one point so I could start a civil war within my fortress with two distinct sides.  Never got around to that...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 26, 2012, 07:05:59 am »

In adventurer mode, retiring sometimes solved loyalty cascades for me, so maybe abandoning is worth a shot.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 26, 2012, 07:20:22 am »

In any case, he'll wind up as a cracking good story in legends mode most likely.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #473 on: July 05, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »

This was shortly after I had modded Gardevoirs to be part of the dwarven society (because I didn't know how else to add them to being playable :P). In a nutshell, I made them really good medics, fast, and naturally skilled with a sword, but really weak.

There was a goblin ambush while I was still trying to build a military. I sent what I had ready, and the goblins scattered, except for three, who started making a beeline for the closest entrance to the fort. In their way stood one of the only two Gardevoir soldiers I had (Emi was her name), along with several war dogs. And she did take them on. It went south, fast. The dogs were all shot full of more quills than a porcupine in no time flat, then her arm was cut off not long after the fight started, her lower body torn open, and her legs both broken. She was fading in and out of consciousness as the three goblins continued to beat on her, and the rest of my military was still trying to fight off the other goblins. This continued for approximately 2 days in-game before someone was free to come rescue her. While they were still attacking, he came up from behind them and caved one of their skulls in within 2 hits (war hammer). The battle lasted for maybe 2 minutes longer after that. I can only imagine he was apeshit pissed at them.
Now, this was a particularly dark time for the fortress, as I didn't have any clothing, and several people had already gone insane. I had Dwarf Therapist open and had been checking everyone's mood consistently prior to the ambush. Once I'd made sure she was brought to the hospital, I checked again, worried that the loss of so many pets and her critical injuries would have put her at horrible mood.

She was happy. Not just happy, borderline ecstatic. The girl who just got her arm cut off and her legs broken was the happiest one in the fortress. The only cause I could think of was that she was happy to have protected the fortress, because none of the thoughts explained it. She survived the injuries. Needless to say, I immediately took her off of active duty for a cushy job like cooking, along with getting several dwarves to make her her own large office/bedroom/room sort of thing, where I'd stockpile a separate bunch of materials for whatever job I'd give her.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

RemusShepherd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 05, 2012, 01:38:40 pm »

"Oh, look, a new version of Dwarf Fortress.  Let me see what's in it."

"Oh, look, a necromancer siege.  That's a lot of zombies.  I think I'll just wall my dwarves in until the pit trap is operational."

"Oh, look, there goblins ambushing...the zombie horde.  That should go well."

"Were there always that many zombie goblins outside?"

"Oh, look, a named dragon has appeared.  Maybe he'll break the zombie siege."

"Oh, look, about 120 zombies trump one dragon.  But the wildfires he started are taking out a lot of the horde."

"Oh, look, it's raining human blood.  At least that'll put out some of the wildfires."

"Yay, the pit trap is done!  Invite the zombies into it!"

"Oh, look, falling 20 z-levels doesn't kill zombies unless they land on their head.  That's...unusually unrealistic for DF."

"Okay, I have a mostly untrained squad in full steel armor, let's see what they can do with the zombies.  I'll back them up with serrated steel traps just in case."

"Oh, look, I didn't know that necromancers could turn dragons into zombies."

"Oh, look -- away from the blood-soaked plain littered with charred and severed zombie parts, along a trail composed of bits of steel armor and the shreds of my untrained squad, there are chunks of zombie dragon cut into fine giblets at the entrance to my fort."

So let's review.  Goblins < Dragon < Zombies < Steel-clad dwarves < Zombie Dragons < Serrated steel blade traps.

Now I'm dealing with, "Oh, look at all the ghosts."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 05, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »

"Oh, look -- away from the blood-soaked plain littered with charred and severed zombie parts, along a trail composed of bits of steel armor and the shreds of my untrained squad, there are chunks of zombie dragon cut into fine giblets at the entrance to my fort."

So let's review.  Goblins < Dragon < Zombies < Steel-clad dwarves < Zombie Dragons < Serrated steel blade traps.
Can I sig that?

RemusShepherd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 05, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »

Sure.  My first and probably only sig-worthy fort.  :)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 05, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »

I've cried more than once at a heroic-turned-tragic situation. One that sticks out was when a siege broke through my outer wall when my lever-puller got thirsty. My military fought bravely but died - as everyone rushed back alongside the rampaging goblins I ordered everyone back to my inner fort. To slow the goblins I sent my last remaining military man (one of my starting seven) to annoy them to give the others a chance to escape.

I watched the fallback fort for a while, waiting for my nerve to break and the lever to be pulled. As the goblins rounded the last corner I ordered the lever pulled. Suddenly out of nowhere comes my original woodcutter with SEVENTEEN kills to his name and still going strong. He was missing a foot and had cuts all over him. He chopped down the remaining four goblins and started crawling towards the fallback fort.

And up went the bridge :(

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #478 on: July 05, 2012, 05:50:45 pm »

She was happy. Not just happy, borderline ecstatic. The girl who just got her arm cut off and her legs broken was the happiest one in the fortress.

Hospital well stocked with Opium?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 05, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »

The most recent for me was the unhappy spear dwarf.  She had just lost her husband, the Chief Medical Dwarf, to a construction accident (removing some walls to change them from chalk to granite blocks, when somehow I triggered a cave in that punched one floor down to my underground farm, wounding the militia commander and puncturing the lung of my only doctor, who promptly suffocated).  For the next few weeks, she continued her training, but the sparing log consisted of

Speardwarf strikes at the Militia Commander but the shot is blocked.
The Militia Commander stands up.

For like, a page and a half.

This reminds me, I need to find a new doctor ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38