Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 206770 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #495 on: April 10, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »

loud y u necro?
Because it's better than making a new thread.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 11, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

I had a fort awhile back. So an Ogress came in through the front gate that I left open. But before I could get my military to the entrance it started picking up kittens and punch there skulls in just to have them fly into a wall and bleed all over the place

lobstercow42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:07 pm »

I had a rhinocerous forget its training and try to run away. As soon as it left the pasture my animal trainer went to go return it. Then both of them ran across my militia doing their rounds. In the end I had a rhinocerous getting dragged by the trainer while being shot with rhinocerous bone bolts (created from a similar incident) with the war dogs literally dragging along on its heels.
pic very related

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:00 pm »

a dorf dying of thirst, when there's plenty of drinks and water.......dafuq.....

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2013, 12:11:10 am »

Two of my soldiers inhaled some FB gas 5 years ago. They've been vomiting non-stop ever since.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:52 am »

A child in one of my forts had a mood and went for materials.
I checked the things he fetched.

1 - Lead bar
2 - An ENTIRE (dead) goblin (might missed a limb or two but the kid hauled a GOBLIN nonetheless).
3 - He wanted gems... but none of the gems i already had... he went insane and i never got to know what was the goblin for...

Another of my fay mood dorfs was a female... who gave birth WHILE working on her project... sadly once again i missed a material of some kind (don't remeber what it was) and she went berserk on her newly born kid...
Who then punched and bruised her lung.
Later she got killed by the militia.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:47 am »

this is a story from one of my older forts, kinda funny cuz of the absurdity of the situation but sad in its psychological trauma aspect as well:

in a necromancer invasion clean-up gone horribly wrong, one of my female melee recruits had her baby mangled and killed by a zombie she was fighting. She managed to avenge her infant when she struck down the zombie but unfortunately there was still at least 1 ambushing necromancer lurking about... Now, its important to note that this was a time in dwarf fortress where i was innocent enough to not be checking the combat log every few pauses so i didnt notice the additional ambushing necromancers until it was too late.

the necromancer gestured, and the baby corpse shuddered and rose and attacked the mother, biting her in the "upper body" (i DID start to check the logs by this time since corpses were coming back to life) and the mother was forced to kill her zombified baby many times before the necromancer was finally revealed by a search team and shot down by marksdwarves. I can only imagine the trauma the mother went through, getting mauled by and needing to put down her child so many times...

reminded me of that horror film i saw this time of a pregnant woman being infected with a zombie bite and dieing and then coming back to life and giving birth to a zombie baby (the father had her restrained, he was a bit crazy, it was a dramatic moment cuz he asked the other survivors "are you going to kill my family?").

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 21, 2013, 12:42:12 am »

I had a child go berserk once. He took a swing at my legendary miner. I think you can guess how that went.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 21, 2013, 01:11:36 am »

My military got exposed to forgotten beast spewing dust that causes rot on every part of the body including the skin, fat, muscle, bones, organs, and nervous system. The medical staff still tried to remove all of it and scrapped Armok only knows how much tissue off those poor bastards. The funny part is that two of the guys exposed to that stuff survived and returned to active duty along with about 6000 freaking dust exposed cats spewing miasma everywhere. We cooked and ate half of them about two cat culls ago, it was delicious XD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:13:51 am by xana55 »
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 21, 2013, 01:18:19 am »

Just lured a small goblin crossbowman ambush across my bridge using a mechanic.

Don't you just love when a lever throw is timed perfectly to make the ground disappear from beneath the feet of enemies, shortly followed by lots of broken bones and easy targets. Of course the mechanic isn't doing so well with the bolts sticking out of him.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 21, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »

I tend to get really close with my dorfs, so this actually brought a tear to my eyes.

Story: I was designing a water washer right above my trade depot to piss off elves(I'm wondering why I haven't had any sieges yet..) I forgot that tiles are only supported by tiles not diagonally right next to it. Dwarf dug out the thing, landed two levels lower and got about twenty silver serrated discs on his head that were still in the trade depot.

Result: Skylight in the roof, bits of dorf everywhere(he was dismembered :C), and a new trade depot(made it out of soap blocks)...
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #506 on: July 31, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »

this is a story from one of my older forts, kinda funny cuz of the absurdity of the situation but sad in its psychological trauma aspect as well:

in a necromancer invasion clean-up gone horribly wrong, one of my female melee recruits had her baby mangled and killed by a zombie she was fighting. She managed to avenge her infant when she struck down the zombie but unfortunately there was still at least 1 ambushing necromancer lurking about... Now, its important to note that this was a time in dwarf fortress where i was innocent enough to not be checking the combat log every few pauses so i didnt notice the additional ambushing necromancers until it was too late.

the necromancer gestured, and the baby corpse shuddered and rose and attacked the mother, biting her in the "upper body" (i DID start to check the logs by this time since corpses were coming back to life) and the mother was forced to kill her zombified baby many times before the necromancer was finally revealed by a search team and shot down by marksdwarves. I can only imagine the trauma the mother went through, getting mauled by and needing to put down her child so many times...

reminded me of that horror film i saw this time of a pregnant woman being infected with a zombie bite and dieing and then coming back to life and giving birth to a zombie baby (the father had her restrained, he was a bit crazy, it was a dramatic moment cuz he asked the other survivors "are you going to kill my family?").

Oh man.  Yeah, that was the remake of "Dawn of the Dead".  I think what you describe is much more disturbing, though!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:52 pm »

WARNING:
What follow is bloody, sad and disturbing.
A group of 3 nymps came to my fort, trying to steal a few junks i had left in the depot.
I sent my squad of crossbow recruits to drive them away, thinking about scaring them, maybe a bolt in the arm or something...
One get shot in the leg, and ran. The other stayed out of range. :)
But the third... She took an arrow in the arm... Then, i don't know why, she attacked a goat. A crossbow dwarf get behind ger and punched her with his wooden shield.
"Ok, now she will GTFO and things won't get ugly today." :D
I thought she would flee... but no. She kept wrestling with the poor animal, charging and colliding with it, ignoring the poor lost guy still punching her with his shield so she would stop.
At one point in the chaos, she rolled in one of my traps.
"Oh well.  :'( One more bone stack. At least it will be painless."
But she wasn't killed.
She dodged the first saw! :) The second hit her in the left thigh, tearing appart the muscle, opening an artery, and severing a motor nerve.  ???
She fell in...the traps behind the first. She get hit in the groind and left buttock tearing the muscles, and in the left shin, this time shattering bones, muscles, nerves and artery.
She tried to crawl out... But get hit another time. This time she took sawblades in the torso, the left kidney, then the right buttock.
At this point she finally crawled out of the traps, and managed to get into the main hallway, in front of the workers and kids.
She was covered of blood, water and vomit, her left leg shredded, a saw stuck in the kidney and torso, and every other parts of her body torn open.
But it wasn't over.
The marksmen recruits were the first to get to her. One striked her in the head from behind; She passed away from the combined shock and pain.
They then proceeded to broke and tear every ones parts of her body, tearing her alive.
She regained consciousness multiple times in the process, screaming in extreme pain, as they shattered her nails, teared her breasts or punched her skull again the ground.
Then the dogs get to her.
I won't describe the scene of absolute horror that followed.
It's only after she was reduced to a pile of bloody shreds, still retching and vomiting, that my Militia Commander entered, and swiftly put a spear in her head, freeing her; at last.
All that for a sock-stealing nymph.

Urist McPsychopath have been ecstatic lately. He took joy in slaughter lately.
I hope Toady implements non-lethal fights in Fortress mode. :/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:11:31 pm by Swonnrr »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »

I was playing a modded dwarf fortress and I had a very strange bug, Instead of dwarves I had FISH the fish quickly died cause they were on land the end.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:34 pm »

So, killed a forgotten beast, and it left behind a syndrome. Fortunately, I had been obsessively making shoes, so aside from killing nearly every dwarf that fought it, there was no lasting injury...

Except all of a sudden, I saw miasma all over the place, and realized that gradually, every single loose dog and cat in the fortress came down with a horrible, slowly lethal condition. In one of the early cases of me naming something within the game, I named it for what it did:

Pawrot.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:00:02 pm by mirrizin »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38