Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209141 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2009, 02:46:46 pm »

Their is NEVER a reason to not kill Elves.

NEVER!

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2009, 02:54:36 pm »

Their is NEVER a reason to not kill Elves.

NEVER!
I agree. The bastards didnt want to sell me their alcohol just because I offered dwarven wine in wood barrels in exchange. Gotta make some fortress in the future where elves are killed by barrels of dwarven wine exploding on their faces :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Duckmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2009, 04:20:47 pm »

The dwarf caravan just killed my spiffy new guard animals.

Shows you how evil those stupid elves are, they should be wiped from the face of the earth, or wherever DF is.

What did elves have to do with any of this? Are we all really turning into bearded McCarthy's?

Oh, hahaha, was totally not reading, and that last post was made in blind rage against elves.  They still deserve to be wiped off the face of the earth though.

In the immortal words of George W. Bush "We got some bad intel".  Or in my case here, I'm just being illiterate.

And nice McCarthy reference, although it didn't really fit that well.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2009, 05:06:23 pm »

You want a reason not to kill elves?

They brought me a breeding pair of grizzly bears.

Freakin' Grizzly Bears, man!
I need to go add a couple lines to my raws now...excuse me.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2009, 05:07:50 pm »

Hmm... Is this change something along the lines of LITTERSIZE:50:50 and TRAINABLE?

rocksolid142

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2009, 10:20:53 pm »

Ok, so on a fortress i tried earlier today, i figured id train several of my dwarfs as wrestlers for a while, for strength, speed, and just in case of attack.
i had no idea of course, that that would refuse to work as elite wrestlers, being kind of a noob

so i give them my best armor and shields (my only armor and shields at the time) so they wouldnt kill each other, and let em duke it out, only to find that 10 minutes laters, holy crap, all i have left is the fisherdwarf, the jewler, and a miner, and a couple wrestlers that are just standing around, eating all my food.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nexodas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2009, 10:42:30 pm »

My first encounter with Goblins happened a few weeks ago. A bunch of archers and a few wrestlers decided to show up and kill all of my fisherdwarf/hunters.

So I rally up my military consisting of five legendary wrestlers, (Each mildly skilled at varying weapons as well) one Marksdwarf, and a Recruit I had drafted shortly before. I figured I had it in the bag, that my legendary force would paint the grass outside of my entrance ramp with the enemy's blood.

I was wrong. At the end of the day my entire military consisted of corpses except for one survivor. The Recruit was somehow able to cause the ambushers to retreat...I was shocked.

The Recruit crawled back into my fort and began to rest, as the battle left him with a mangled left hand and broken foot. However I am shocked that a green-as-grass recruit was able to do what so many so-called "legendary" soldiers could not.

It is now 10 years after that battle...and the Recruit has long since recovered and became a Legend himself. He is now a Legendary wrestler, armor user, shield user, and sworddwarf wielding an artifact sword. He has survived countless ambushes and sieges and is now the head of my military. His face is engraved all through-out my fortress and he enjoys the highest quality of life I can give him.

As my first successful fort, this kind of thing really blows my mind.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2009, 11:17:28 am »

My first encounter with Goblins happened a few weeks ago. A bunch of archers and a few wrestlers decided to show up and kill all of my fisherdwarf/hunters.

So I rally up my military consisting of five legendary wrestlers, (Each mildly skilled at varying weapons as well) one Marksdwarf, and a Recruit I had drafted shortly before. I figured I had it in the bag, that my legendary force would paint the grass outside of my entrance ramp with the enemy's blood.

I was wrong. At the end of the day my entire military consisted of corpses except for one survivor. The Recruit was somehow able to cause the ambushers to retreat...I was shocked.

The Recruit crawled back into my fort and began to rest, as the battle left him with a mangled left hand and broken foot. However I am shocked that a green-as-grass recruit was able to do what so many so-called "legendary" soldiers could not.

It is now 10 years after that battle...and the Recruit has long since recovered and became a Legend himself. He is now a Legendary wrestler, armor user, shield user, and sworddwarf wielding an artifact sword. He has survived countless ambushes and sieges and is now the head of my military. His face is engraved all through-out my fortress and he enjoys the highest quality of life I can give him.

As my first successful fort, this kind of thing really blows my mind.

What you've got there, is a real dwarf.  You should construct an elaborate tomb for him, filled with goblin skull totems, gem encrusted statues, and masterful engravings...

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2009, 01:16:50 pm »

I was being seiged by goblins, once, where I was just setting my out door farming operations. All the farms were walled n and I had created a second tier with walk ways and fortifications. But unfortunately, my mechanic was being very lazy and had not produced/installed the levers and subsequent gears. So when the goblins came bye, i had no other choice but to abandon some dwarves while I deconstructed the bridge leading to my main entrance.

I was very surprised, then, to see that after killing only one dwarf, what the goblin army had really come for. I see that a pig tail sock had been stolen from the dead dwarf, and then notice that there seem to be no goblins anywhere. I then notice that I am actually not being seiged anymore. That was all they wanted, one sock....

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »

So I forgot to set my embarked Marksdwarf to train up on his crossbow. Queue a year later, when I'm still digging out the huge layout of my fortress.

An Ambush! Curse all friends of nature!

Oh Armok. A few wrestlers, a few swordselves. I've hardly got the fortress off the ground. They charge in, it's a bloodbath. Have to recruit half of the population to fight them off. My Carpenter became a war hero for slaying five of the elves, while my miners took care of the rest. Tantrums follow, most of the population of the fortress is hauled to just finished bedrooms. The grower is dead, running out of food.

I assign my legendaries, the two miners to start gathering plants, as they move the fastest, and got an immigrant peasant to restart the planting.

An Ambush! Curse them!

Turns out the goblins were already on the map before the elves were driven off. Five wrestlers, 3 marksgoblins, 1 master marksgoblin. It wasn't pretty.
!!&!!

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:22 pm »

I don't know if dwarf adventure mode applies here... but anyways:
I made a good adventurer and was going around killing things to level up. I was fairly good in armor, shield, and sword. I was battling the typical 5 or 6 wolves. I easily chopped up most of the wolves. Then, in one freakin turn it suddenly says: MORTALLY WOUNDED. And the next turn: DECEASED.
what happened?
The damn wolf had torn out my throat...
and on my second adventurer it happened again...
now my third one is fine and I have 5 human and 5 goblin followers, time to take out a dwarf fortress!

But is it just me or are crossbows uber weapons? I get killed by 2 shots in 2 turns.
I will be raping some dwarfs when suddenly it goes from fine to deceased...
and what weapons are the best for adventurer mode?

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:29 pm »

I think the best thing for adventure mode is throwing. At "thrower" level I usually hit 50% of the times with deadly consequences, so I suppose a legendary thrower can take out a dragon with peebles :)

And indeed crossbows seen deadly, I have only faced then once but lasted just one combat turn :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Cryptowizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2009, 07:33:21 pm »

So I'm new to Dwarf Fortress and this is my first fortress. I've been reading wiki articles like a fiend trying to give my poor dwarfs a fighting chance But... big surprise, things took a sudden turn for the worse after my second migration...

So all of a sudden one of my new imigrants decides to experience a 'mood' and makes her way to the crafting workshop relieve her crafting urges. So she chases away my mayor of 56 dwarfs and starts her personal quest... but unfortunately she doesn't have all the supplies she needs, So I think oh well, she'll get over it and I focus on making the apartments for the new migrants that arrived to the fortress.

WRONG!

Fast forward and I get the notification that she has gone berserk

Oh well, that can't be too wrong right? Well, first thing she does is walk to the bedroom of the dwarf she chased out f the workshop, which happened to be my fortress mayor, and she kills him while he's sitting on his throne.

So that ends up being a major bummer for all my dwarfs. She goes on to kill 8 more dwarfs before she gets struck down by the fortress cook. (Maybe he's related to Steven Segal -- Under Siege)

Well, I didn't know there was a graveyard stock designation (I thought my  dwarves would just drag the dead to my refuse pile) ... so the mayor just  sat in his throne and slowly rotted before the many dwarves who came to his office.

That caused a fair bit of discontent with my dwarves. One by one they either become melancholy or went berserk because of the horrible sight of their beloved founder mayor you was decaying before their very eyes!

The miasma was all over the place when we received the notification that the fortress was being ambushed by some marauding goblins. Talk about bad timing!

At this point half the population is melancholy, so they are totally ignoring the impending threat. As a last resort, all dwarves are conscripted into the royal guard and are sent to the gates to defend against the goblin menace that has already destroyed all of the dwarven wood-choppers and were quickly making their way towards the fortress entrance.

The resulting battle was epic to say the least. Even while morning their fallen fortress leader the dwarves fought on strong as they could. In the end, they were technically victorious. But so many dwarves were cut down that the survivors could not be relied upon to function as normal dwarves. Melancholy reigned supreme and the population slowly dwindled to extinction.

I feel sorry for these dwarves who gave their lives so willingly to an omniscient power who ended up to be not so omniscient after all.

The next fortress of dwarves should  be eternally grateful for the sacrifices of those who were less fortunate then themselves!

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2009, 07:57:51 pm »

... so the mayor just  sat in his throne and slowly rotted ...
All hail the god-emperor! </40k reference>
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2009, 08:28:12 pm »

about adventurer mode...
what skills are the best to start out with?
and can you raise all of your skills or only your starting ones?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38