Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209128 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:28 am »

Weird though, I was almost positive that ice does not melt in this biome and think I even had some test blocks outside in the sun for a while. It was on the edge of another biome, however.

I think there must be at least some variability to when/whether things melt or freeze, because I'm certain I've had forts where things don't freeze.... at least not every year.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2009, 11:02:00 am »

I had a hunter that was killed by a pack of wolves during hunting... now the tragic part:
*Nobody in the fortress, not even her husband, seemed to care.
*I didnt care either because at that moment the hunter was my less important dwarf.
*because the wolves were still there I couldnt recover the body and decided to wait until spring
*then spring came I realized my only way of finding the body was zooming into the wolves, so now the body is still out there rotting and I have already gave up search.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2009, 12:24:20 pm »

Weird though, I was almost positive that ice does not melt in this biome and think I even had some test blocks outside in the sun for a while. It was on the edge of another biome, however.
The menace of global warming strikes again.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2009, 12:52:27 pm »

I was trying to uncork a HFS in my current fortress and devised a cunning plan.

My idea was to build a long and convoluted path to the area with the HFS, and then decommission  all of my good miners and draft some useless dwarf into mining straight into the heart of the HFS (as determined by the angles of the radiating adamantine veins.

My plan was to then build a fortification in the entry to the long hall to trap the miner into their fate, but allow me to see the full size and shape of the HFS for safe mining purposes.

I chose a random soap maker.

Off the soap maker went, and a mason dutifully walled them into the maze...

The miner began digging into the adamantine and sure enough, a few squares in they breeched the HFS and were beset by frog demons.  They were torn to pieces.

I later noticed that my farmer was very sad, and checked his mood.  He had lost a wife and child to tragedy.

Oh no...

I went down and check the body, and sure enough, I had sent a new mother and her infant to their doom.

I felt bad about that one.

I later built and army of super dwarves and breached the HFS determined to get my revenge.

In the end 21 demons lay dead, 1 super dwarf was slain... and the remains of the brave mother and child were given a proper burial.

manored

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:14 pm »

You kill and then get revenge on someone else... interesting :)

My legendary bookkeeper got itself wounded in the beggining of winter before I had channeled water to a underground reservatoir, and then all the water in the map freezed... he lasted the whole winter on the bed winhout water, but died as soon as the winter ended and the water unfroze... talk about bad luck :)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »

I had a female warrior attack some tentacle demons after most of my military had been wiped out, and- (WARNING RATED M FOR AWSOME)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eh herm....  :-X

manored

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:45 am »

Well according to Tolkien (the author of Lord of the Rings) and the dwarfy icons dwarf women are everthing but attractive :)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2009, 02:00:04 am »

Well according to Tolkien (the author of Lord of the Rings) and the dwarfy icons dwarf women are everthing but attractive :)

But at leat according to the raws, they'll shave now!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2009, 03:40:56 pm »

A random Kobald thief ran into my fortress, murdered a kitten, and ran away.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:05 pm »

A random kitten was hanging around outside my fortress, it slaughtered three kobolds in one season while I had unguarded finished goods stockpiles right inside trying to attract more.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2009, 08:26:16 am »

I embarked on a map with a brook, a volcano, and a dead volcano once. I got there and noticed the map was crawling with trolls, all hanging around the extinct volcano.

So I set about setting  a channel to...redirect the brook towards more productive purposes (namely, flooding the part of the map with the trolls).
It doesn't kill them, but they all decide to wander away from the path of the water, and stay far, far away from me.

Until I notice, a season later, a large red T icon (t for troll) outside my base front door. I check around - none of my dwarves are unhappy due to being ttacked. What the heck killed this? I then notice that the lone kitten I embarked with is injured.

Thats not the worst thing  I've seen however. If you stop worldgen at year 5 or 6, you'll see things like, "<Somename> the Bronze Collosses was struck down by <Somename> the ammonite."
(For those of you without the prehistoria mod, pixies and perch and turtles work, too)

For those of you who don't realize how sad this is, this is an ammonite:

[CREATURE:AMMONITE]
   [NAME:ammonite:ammonites:ammonite]
   [TILE:'a'][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [VERMIN_FISH][NATURAL]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:25:50]
   [MODVALUE:2]
   [AQUATIC][SMALL_REMAINS][FISHITEM][NOBONES][NOSKULL][IMMOBILE_LAND][UNDERSWIM][COOKABLE_LIVE][HASSHELL]
   [NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
   [PREFSTRING:intricate shells]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
   [BIOME_ANY_LAKE]
   [BIOME_ANY_OCEAN]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]

Megabeasts are so pathetic in worldgen.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:31:57 am by lastofthelight »

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »

I think in worldgen it doesn't care about stats that much...

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2009, 02:07:29 pm »

I was doing a bloodline with a friend, we each had our own dwarf and the such. Well during one of his turns when a bunch of migrants came and as we were discussing their fates a very convenient "WALL OF FUCKING FIRE" came and burned all but two. A farmer (Cog something have to check later on.) and a peasant(Mosus Atislor, Skatetool) which were recruited, they were also husband and wife, go figure. Soon became my turn and not long after Cog went depressed from loosing his friends and pets/family and jumped into the magma or was killed by the fire imps, either way his body was obliterated. Then Mosus the wife went depress too... and went all around the fort naked for long time, finally stopping in my friends dwarf room. I told him of said news and he kept yelling at me to get the bitch out, and I said she was now on his bed and stopped moving, forever. I then told my friend the bad news and he demanded a new bed and to dump her in the magma.. instead I gave her a coffin (magma safe material) and placed it in his bedroom.  ;D

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1055-championgoestotown

I think it was just his time of the month

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2009, 04:49:42 pm »

HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38