Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bomb Traps: will this work?  (Read 1538 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Bomb Traps: will this work?
« on: August 30, 2008, 12:28:57 pm »

While mucking about among the raws lately, an excellent idea came over mne: I hav heard many discussions about building booze bomb traps, but none that were confirmed to work. But how about this approach:

1. Mod in a creature named 'bomb' with a high homeotherm and [SEVERONBREAKS]. make it [COMMON_DOMESTIC], but not a pet (so immigrants don't bring them and blow eachother up.)

2. Start up a fortress and request said bombs from a trade caravan.

3. Purchase (caged) bombs.

4. Construct the bomb cages at your fortress's entrance, and connect them to a lever.

5. Wait for invaders to come, then yank the lever.

6. ?

7. Profit!

So, could someone possibly test this idea?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bomb Traps: will this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 12:58:13 pm »

You'd want a high [FIXEDTEMP] in addition to the homeotherm, and I'm not quite sure why you'd care about [SEVERONBREAKS]. It's not really relevant.

Otherwise, sounds like it could work. You're not likely to get far asking other people to do your testing for you, though.

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36:52 pm »

[SEVERONBREAKS] means more flying limbs. In this case, flying flaming limbs.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:07:11 pm »

If you wanna go realistic, you don't want flying limbs.

Contrary to popular belif, explosions don't gib your entire body. With luck, they blow your leg almost clean off.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:16:57 pm »

Alternate option: Have the creature be normal except for being really weak(Damblock at -500, anybody?), but have an itemcorpse as an object that vaporizes at room temperature.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:43:49 pm »

Contrary to popular belif, explosions don't gib your entire body. With luck, they blow your leg almost clean off.
No, severonbreak for the bomb creature.  Completely realistic.  It's not the explosion that kills the most people, it's the shrapnel (parts of the bomb that are blown away)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 02:48:54 pm »

No, severonbreak for the bomb creature.  Completely realistic.  It's not the explosion that kills the most people, it's the shrapnel (parts of the bomb that are blown away)

Bonus: Give 'em lots of limbs.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 03:09:32 pm »

Ah. I thought you meant for the explosion.

Well that's not entirely accurate. The energy released in a blast propels the shrapnel. That same energy can hit you like a fist.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 03:17:03 pm »

Ah. I thought you meant for the explosion.

Well that's not entirely accurate. The energy released in a blast propels the shrapnel. That same energy can hit you like a fist.
True, but a fist doesn't do nearly as much damage as a metal scrap piercing your heart.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 03:48:13 pm »

I asked about something like this before, and I remember there was something that made it un-doable.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 03:53:04 pm »

I asked about something like this before, and I remember there was something that made it un-doable.

With the new options in the RAW's, I'm sure whatever the issue was is gone. Unless ther issue is the fact that these are not explosions. It's just the molten mist of whatever just 'exploded.'

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 04:05:36 pm »

Alternate option: Have the creature be normal except for being really weak(Damblock at -500, anybody?), but have an itemcorpse as an object that vaporizes at room temperature.
Yeah I have a creature that drops a stone that vaporizes at 0 degrees (Dwarf  Fortress temperature) so it will freeze just about anything in the cloud in about two to three steps.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.