Author Topic: Snang  (Read 1423 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Snang
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:07:41 am »

I recently got a siege. My goblins have a tendency to show up with babysnatched elven recruits. Well, I'll let the picture speak for itself..

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
Re: Snang
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:15:38 am »

So, it's like...the Forests Have Eyes or something?  Some naked mutant hillbilly?

Oddly enough, I've never had a snatcher run off with a child, but my first siege, I had a few Dwarf invaders.  It was weird, I got a message that so-and-so was enraged, and I was like "Enraged?  What's that?  And I've never seen that Dwarf's name before.", then, I figured out they were on the other side.  Traitors!
On the plus side, they were carrying fullsized masks and equipment.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:14:52 pm »

In every siege I've got so far, it seems like every squad has been led by a traitorous dwarf.  A couple of them have shown up with world gen injuries, so I had to decide whether to languish in a siege forever or send everyone to try and assault a squad of bowgobs that were huddled around their one-legged leader on the edge of the map.  It actually turned out alright, I only lost two guys charging them.  They've also shown up with some world gen swag, like dwarf bone and leather trinkets.  I'm tempted to put a dump zone in my tombs and give the poor trophies something like a proper burial.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 12:26:38 pm »

after worldgen, press "p".
along with the map a txt will show up, with detailed informations on towns on the map.

verry interesting...
on my current world there is a goblin town:

1 goblin
1 deamon (leader)
83 elves
16 even prisoners

it seems to be quite common that goblin towns majority is not goblin, but human, dwarf or elven.
this 1 goblin town however is uncommon.

so, depending on what town is near to you, a goblin sige may appear as a elven-only sige.

sadly i never started close to such a town :(

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:32:48 pm »

Hi!

Yes, world gen is rather unkind to goblins. If you have worlds running over 2000 years of world gen, you may have half a dozen goblin fortresses without even a single goblin existant in that world. It is one of the balance issues world gen has in my books (right next to megabeast death rate and weak elven defenses).

Going slightly OT, I noticed that the screenshot showed both FPS and *SIEGE*. How did you get that? I just had a siege (A vile force of darkness arrived), but it didn't say *SIEGE* and I figured that it was hidden by the FPS display. Sorry about the hijack, but since I am not that good at sieges, that is something worrying me.

Deathworks

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 01:43:48 pm »

Going slightly OT, I noticed that the screenshot showed both FPS and *SIEGE*. How did you get that? I just had a siege (A vile force of darkness arrived), but it didn't say *SIEGE* and I figured that it was hidden by the FPS display. Sorry about the hijack, but since I am not that good at sieges, that is something worrying me.
Looks like "*PAUSED* SIEGE" to me ;)

Anyway, this name of that gobelf sums up that whole treehugging rope reed menace in just one line. I died a little inside, in the sense of the French.
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 01:45:27 pm »

Hi!

Yes, world gen is rather unkind to goblins. If you have worlds running over 2000 years of world gen, you may have half a dozen goblin fortresses without even a single goblin existant in that world. It is one of the balance issues world gen has in my books (right next to megabeast death rate and weak elven defenses).

Deathworks
It gets pushed over behind the FPS view when it's not paused.  But when it's paused, the *PAUSE* pushes it over to the right, thus making it visible.
That's what I'm led to assume, at least.  I haven't had any sieges since 38c for some reason.
I've had three ambushes, two babysnatchers, and four thieves at once though.
All three ambushes were led by an elf.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

Hello everybody!

Thank you for that information. That will be quite useful for me (as I said, I am quite scared of sieges, especially since I made the mistake of having some of my underground stuff go too close to the edge).

The world I am currently in is one I picked specifically because I had some active, working goblin civs with real goblins (TM) in their fortresses plotting whatever they may plot. It has worked so far in getting only goblins in their activities. Having no kobolds is a bit lonely, though (T_T).

But if sieges are depending on fortress population, even though most siegers are spawned for the siege, what will happen if you settle near a single demon fortress. Besides the goblin fortresses full of converted humans and elves, I also noticed a tendency for there being fortresses with just one creature in them, namely a demon. Will they spawn normal goblins? Or will there be no sieges, even though you are settling next to a goblin civ?

(I have to be strong. I have to finish this fortress. No playing around with world gen. No experiments. I have to be strong. Mumble,mumble,mumble)

Deathworks

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:44:49 pm »

In my current world, I noticed a few odd dark fortresses...

Such as:
Urarm“klo, "Malignached", a dark fortress
Owner: The Rhyming Rooms, dwarves
Parent Civ: The Neutral Wires, dwarves
Leader: DodĒk Manorsavage, goblin
89 goblins

While the fortresses that actually belong to goblin civilizations are like this...

Osnuntusnom, "Ghoulmongrel", a dark fortress
Owner: The Blanketed Terror, goblins
Parent Civ: The Scourge of Spiraling, goblins
Leader: ‹ngiz Wireardent, dwarf
57 dwarves
43 humans
3 dwarf prisoners
2 human prisoners

So I got dwarven goblins, and goblin dwarves. :D

Oh yeah, and they're at war with each other!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:47:55 pm by Croquantes »

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:15:39 pm »

In every siege I've got so far, it seems like every squad has been led by a traitorous dwarf.  A couple of them have shown up with world gen injuries, so I had to decide whether to languish in a siege forever or send everyone to try and assault a squad of bowgobs that were huddled around their one-legged leader on the edge of the map.  It actually turned out alright, I only lost two guys charging them.  They've also shown up with some world gen swag, like dwarf bone and leather trinkets.  I'm tempted to put a dump zone in my tombs and give the poor trophies something like a proper burial.
This sounds like good catapult target practice to me.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 04:20:17 am »

Hello!

Such as:
89 goblins

What the .... ??? I have never seen anything like that. If there are goblins in a fortress, I always have a goblin civ.

How? Why?

Deathworks (thoroughly impressed by yet another aspect of awesomeness in the game)

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 05:30:52 am »

Hello!

Such as:
89 goblins

What the .... ??? I have never seen anything like that. If there are goblins in a fortress, I always have a goblin civ.

How? Why?

Deathworks (thoroughly impressed by yet another aspect of awesomeness in the game)
I think it must have been very recently fought over and captured by the dwarves, but then you'd expect the goblins to be slaves. Hmm... it's very intriguing.