Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rightsizing  (Read 2156 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Rightsizing
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 08:05:04 pm »

In case you missed it, with the new Partial_paint options in the Init file and turning down gfps rate (anything above 30 is practically imperceptible) it's possible to get some amazing frame rate (one person got something like 5 times, mine don't drop below 100 fps on Embark for any area less than 100 local tiles in size), so population shouldn't be much of an issue unless, like me, you just have to see if you can run a 56 tile fort.
Stealth poster, away!
56?  That's impossible.
A single local tile (on the far left of embark screen) is 48x48 fullscale tiles.
The local map (the entire far left map itself) is 12x12
Tile numbers are multiples of 48.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »

I meant 56 local tiles, ie, the ones you can see on the embark screen. Obviously a fifty-six tile fort would be impressive but for entirely different reasons, most of them impossible.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 08:26:13 pm »

I meant 56 local tiles, ie, the ones you can see on the embark screen. Obviously a fifty-six tile fort would be impressive but for entirely different reasons, most of them impossible.
Which is what I thought you meant.
Still impossible.
Just that they're capped at 12 instead of being multiples of 48.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 01:28:22 am »

Fine, sicko.

Dig a small room in a dungeon-type area. Add a bed. Assign the bed to the dwarf you want dead. When he's in, lock the door.

Now on the floor above, channel into his roof and assign it as a pit/pond. Add a grate to the hole. Order dwarves to pour buckets of water into his cell until he drowns.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 04:38:31 am »

Which is what I thought you meant.
Still impossible.
Just that they're capped at 12 instead of being multiples of 48.

7x8=56

You can easily embark on 56 squares, not at all impossible.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

Fine, sicko.

Dig a small room in a dungeon-type area. Add a bed. Assign the bed to the dwarf you want dead. When he's in, lock the door.

Now on the floor above, channel into his roof and assign it as a pit/pond. Add a grate to the hole. Order dwarves to pour buckets of water into his cell until he drowns.
This is brilliant. Actually getting the dwarves to kill one of their own comrades... I like it!

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 04:52:56 pm »

Fine, sicko.

Lock the door? No.

Wait until he goes to bed, then wall him in.

From there, proceed with the water...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 12:51:38 am »

Fine, sicko.

He said there is no water and he did not find the magma yet, still a good idea...now to adapt that to the elf traders.  ;D

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36:18 am »

Hmm...build a two tile long alcove in the wall, assign a booze stockpile to the end, then when the Dwarf goes to take a drink...wall him in.
Bonus points if you manage to brew Amontillado.  XD
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 06:01:55 pm »

Hmm...build a two tile long alcove in the wall, assign a booze stockpile to the end, then when the Dwarf goes to take a drink...wall him in.
Bonus points if you manage to brew Amontillado.  XD
::) For the love of Armok, Montresor...
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 06:12:09 pm »

That idea is full of win.

I just dug out a room for that.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.
Pages: 1 [2]