Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rightsizing  (Read 2160 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Rightsizing
« on: August 30, 2008, 02:22:58 am »

Rightsizing is a cleaned up and professional way to say "Shitcanned." And that's exactly what I need to do. Rightsize.Problem is, I haven't a clue about how to do it.

I don't have any water, and I haven't found my magma pipe yet, so do I just lock the dwarves in a room till they starve?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Rightsizing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 02:29:26 am »

1. Hit 'ESC'.
2. Select 'Abandon Fortress'
3. Profit!

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 02:33:57 am »

No No!

I need to remove some dwarves from my fort, not the entire fort.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:40:08 am »

Build a bridge with a ten z level drop or something similar. Link that bridge to a lever. Draft the useless dwarves into the military, set their patrol on the bridge. Pull the lever.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 04:14:08 am »

1.  Build a wall with access from all sides and take note of which tile the mason prefers to stand on to build it.

2.  Dig a tunnel two tiles deep into a hillside, such that when you make an about-to-be-redundant dwarf (and only that dwarf) into a mason and order him to build a wall sealing up that tunnel... 

3.  Repeat step 2 for each supernumerary dwarf.

Thus starts my catacombs...   ;D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:15:45 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:26:10 am »

There are many possible solutions (Eater of Vermin's suggestion to have them self-entomb each other is perhaps the most elegant) but the simplest is probably to just draft them, station them in their room, then lock the door once they're inside. Not very fast, of course, but clean.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:01:35 am »

Recently, you have to draft them and send them into the catacombs to do that anymore.  They pick the closest side to build walls from, now.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:10:27 pm »

Build a spike trap with just one spike. Make it in a 1x1 room. Recruit all annoying dwarves and station them on the spike. Lock the door.

Pull the lever. Repeatedly. ;D

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:23:46 pm »

I'd say deactivate all the military you want to keep, activate the people you don't like, and then give them all the best quality spears you can find. The one that survives gets to live and join your military. Oh right and be sure the nearby beds in the barracks are behind lockable doors. No sense wasting precious hauling time bringing the wounded water.

But why do you want to kill them, anyway?

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:46:41 pm »

Do the dwarves actually waste time to haul water when there's no water on the map?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 01:42:27 pm »

Do the dwarves actually waste time to haul water when there's no water on the map?
Wait, you're asking if they'll waste time hauling something that doesn't exist?  I don't understand.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 01:43:57 pm »

But why do you want to kill them, anyway?

Man this is dwarf fortress, why would you not want to kill them.
Seriously though i often keep a low population for framerate, or the lack of water.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

In case you missed it, with the new Partial_paint options in the Init file and turning down gfps rate (anything above 30 is practically imperceptible) it's possible to get some amazing frame rate (one person got something like 5 times, mine don't drop below 100 fps on Embark for any area less than 100 local tiles in size), so population shouldn't be much of an issue unless, like me, you just have to see if you can run a 56 tile fort.
Stealth poster, away!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 07:45:22 pm »

Build a spike trap with just one spike. Make it in a 1x1 room. Recruit all annoying dwarves and station them on the spike. Lock the door.

Pull the lever. Repeatedly. ;D

The funny thing about this is that if you put them all into one big group by placing all of them under one, then when the leader dies from being impaled, the new leader actually walks over on top of the spikes, needing no prompt from you.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 07:51:23 pm »

Meh, I'm doing that from now on. I put a bunch of recruits into a room to die of thirst, which took forever.

Pages: [1] 2