Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mac keyboard layout bug  (Read 836 times)

DarthShrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mac keyboard layout bug
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:06:56 am »

I'm on a Mac and I use the Dvorak keyboard layout. Most keys seem to work, as the Qwerty equivalent is a letter. However, the v key on Dvorak is in the position of the fullstop in Qwerty. Because of this, it seems that when I want to press v, it behaves as though I pressed fullstop. This happens to me during gameplay; I haven't yet tested how it behaves during text input.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Mac keyboard layout bug
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:10:39 am »

I don't know very much about how different keyboards interact with virtual key codes and so on.  Does remapping the keys in ESC-k (or data/init/interface.txt) help at all?  I'm not sure how to tell DF to stop sending the incorrect virtual key code when such a keyboard is installed if that's what's happening.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DarthShrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:32:14 am »

Remapping doesn't really help all that much.. I *can* remap stuff, but anything that's punctuation in Dvorak but a letter in Qwerty isn't even recognised. (eg, fullstop, which is an e in Qwerty).

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:58:21 am »

It seems like a lot of games don't really understand non-Qwerty keyboard layouts. I've just given up and switch to Qwerty when I want to play them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

DarthShrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »

Yeah, except my keyboard is blank and I don't actually know Qwerty.