Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: End of Sieges  (Read 1244 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
End of Sieges
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:46:07 pm »

I've played several forts that had seemingly endless sieges, but the one I just started had 3 sieges for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year - and then absolutely nothing for 5 years. I had modded the goblins to get rid of can_speak and babysnatcher so they'd just siege, which worked perfectly for the first 3, but then just stopped suddenly. The last siege had 3 legendary goblins, but the king never came or anything. Could those 3 deaths stop the civ from fighting or something?

Does anyone know what would make goblins suddenly stop invading unexpectedly? I changed nothing between the time that they last invaded and the next year when they stopped. And does anyone know if there is a way to encourage them to start attacking again? I'm just starting to get some real military trained and suddenly they stopped coming... I had hoped to test out my siege weapons and fortified towers :D

I checked legends and theres still PLENTY of living goblins, and I know that goblins are mostly generated on the spot for sieges, so im puzzled as to why everything just stopped so suddenly.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of Sieges
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:55:05 pm »

Goblins are weird right now. Try putting [BABYSNATCHER] back in. It does more things than it used to.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:12:15 am »

Thats the thing though, another fort with the exact same settings had goblin sieges for 19 straight years until I abandoned because my framerate was so awful. I had a magma pipe, chasm, and cave river in a 5x5 area with lots of cliffs - it was fine at first, but pathfinding once I had a decent population was horrible, and wildlife made it even worse.

My next fort was 3x3 desert area with no features except a single layer aquifer and very sparse trees on 1/3 of the map - it didn't even have any little murky pools. The fps was great (~500 at the start) and the time flew by, and I had goblins come on the 2nd 3rd and 4th winters and had to get my military going and fight them off. Then the 5th and beyond winters I had a strong military ready yet the goblins just didn't come...

The only thing I can see that might have somehow caused them to stop coming would be the death of the 3 legendary goblins, they all came on siege #3 and as soon as they died the rest of the siege fled, and next year nothing came. In my other larger fort I only ever had one legendary goblin come, and they still kept coming.

I wonder if theres a trigger to turn off invasions once enough damage is done to the invader. Maybe the sudden death of 3 of them triggered a permanent retreat? These three were super badass goblins with hundreds of kills and a big ol' pile of goblin/human/dwarf bone trinkets, so if such a feature exists it would probably be a big hit for it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 12:17:18 am »

The death of the three goblins might have created a big enough difference in the entity difficulty ratings that are checked against for if a civilization is willing to wage war. Check the civilizations to see if you are still at war with the goblins.

P.S. Did you do anything else at this time like update versions?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:18:34 am »

Nope, its all in the same version - 40c. And I hadn't changed any of the raw files or the init file. It was during the same playing period, I was playing the game for a few hours from the start and went through to the 5th year. 2 3 and 4 had sieges, 5 had none. Later I ran the fort for another 5 years with still no more sieges. I have only played the fort a few days, it's running at such high fps I can zip through the years and get a lot done quickly.

And they were never officially "At War" with me. Removing their ability to speak acts similar to having babysnatcher, it makes them siege without war. I guess it might also have the effect of making sieges end, but the other forts I've used it on never had a trouble with sieges abruptly stopping.

It kinda sucks, since I was really enjoying this fort and was hoping to keep it going for a long time. I just completed a big glass castle with fortifications and defense towers that I was hoping to use against the gobbos. I might play it another 5 or 10 years and see if they ever come back, but it's kind of boring to go through the years with no attacks or anything. Maybe I can get the humans to attack me, although I kind of like buying aluminum and platinum from them.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:00:08 pm »

Update:

I played the fort for several more years, and after another 3 peaceful years the goblins came back on the 10th year with 5 squads all led by named goblins with the profession of "Guard", not even Goblin Guard, just Guard. I guess now the civs' standard Guard's are leaving the fortresses and attacking me?

I have had other forts where goblins skipped a year, but this is the first that they skipped NINE years.  I don't know what exactly caused the 9 years of peace, but for those out there with forts that goblins have simply stopped coming, keep playing - they'll probably come back eventually.

All the named goblins has me wondering, though: Will they stop coming completely once I eventually wipe out all the named guys? Do they get new named guys over time, or do they only have the ones generated during worldgen? Do I need to devise some crazy plan to prevent named goblins from dieing, in order to preserve future attacks?

I might go visit the goblin forts with a copy of the original save, and then visit them again after playing this fort for a while longer. It would be kind of funny if I noticed a complete lack of goblin guards after killing all of the ones that invaded.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

As far as I know, it's not even "mostly" generated on the spot.  It's more akin to everybody.  Except for those who show up on the (c)ivilization menu, of course.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:29 am »

Its a bug. Civ leaders like to go along with attacking armies, but civ leaders are not replaced during dwarf mode. Thus, you end up making crafts and totems out of all the civ leaders and the civ becomes depleted and anemic.

It seems to help if you site your fortress close to a large number of goblins though.