Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] cavan wagons travel across boulders, then refuse to leave  (Read 599 times)

Arbit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So yeah, that's about it.  Several dwarf wagons appear in what is the most inaccessible part of the map, travel through boulder infested terrain (the depot accessibility checker indicates there is no friggin' way they should be able to pass through that area), then start unpacking.  I do some trading, the game informs me that they are leaving, then... they just sit there.  Trying to trade at the depot indicates that there are no traders to trade with.  There are plenty of ways to exit off the map, except through the area where they came from.  Is that the problem, maybe?

Other maybe pertinent information: there was a siege, and I raised some drawbridges such that there was a period of time where it was impossible for them to leave.  However, I long since lowered the drawbridges and killed the invaders.  None of the traders have injuries.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] cavan wagons travel across boulders, then refuse to leave
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:33:47 pm »

Did you have the drawbridges back down and the siege ended before or after you got the message that the traders were leaving?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arbit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:58:09 am »

Did you have the drawbridges back down and the siege ended before or after you got the message that the traders were leaving?
Before, I believe, but the problem ended up fixing itself.  I loaded the game up again and the caravans left immediately.  However, it's still weird that the wagons were able to cross boulder littered terrain.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:03:23 am »

Yeah, that is rather strange...

But it could happen...
Deep within the Twilight Zone!
Dunh Dunh Duh! ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ramiel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:50:49 am »

I had a similar thing happen to me. The Dwarven caravan navigated to my depot (somewhat accessible) on the first autumn, then in the late autumn when the brook froze over and they are unable to leave (depot completely inaccessible). I think the frozen brook is impassable for caravans whilst a thawed one is fine?

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:08:14 am »

I think the frozen brook is impassable for caravans whilst a thawed one is fine?
Correct frozen brooks are not traversible but normal brooks are. I believe this is designed to reflect the fact that brooks arent ment to be deep water, thus they are forgable but when frozen become treacherous.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:59:41 am »

Something that can be remedied by buiilding a bridge over the brook however.

Things that also often cause the depot becoming inaccessible are growing trees. Once fully grown they block the path of caravans (which is one situation where building roads really makes sense ;) )

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 01:03:30 pm »

Or cause giggles when a sapling becomes a tree as the wagon passes over it.