Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Perfect designing program  (Read 4927 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect designing program
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 01:39:16 am »

Graph paper by the book, you cowards. Up a page, up a level. Down a page, down a level. Computers RUN THE GAME. When away from the computer, you should plan the game. Its that simple.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 06:19:58 am »

I always called them legos for a plural as a kid.  :-\

I'm sorry, but the english language already has too many words that are both singular and plural. We don't need another one.

Maybe plural could be legi?
No, there is NO PLURAL for Lego. You're getting confused with words like sheep, where the plural is the same as the singular. Some nouns are not countable, and have no plural. Lego is one of these words.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 11:35:18 am »

If you want to get right down to it LEGO is a brand name, which in turn is pretty much meaningless and as such you can do whatever you damn well please with it.  especially if it is commonly used and understood in regular parlance.

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 11:43:48 am »

yes, Lego is a brand name, which means that it has no plural and does not give the automatic right to do whatever you want with it.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 11:53:52 am »

Pff...real Dwarves just estimate it, start digging, and make corrections after the cave-in.

After all, dig twice, cart the bodies away once.

/sign
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:58 pm »

yes, Lego is a brand name, which means that it has no plural and does not give the automatic right to do whatever you want with it.

It means it has no inherent meaning, which means that you can indeed do whatever you want with it, which is the reason its a brand name in the first place.  Quite frankly its up to the company to maintain control of it, but brands being what they are such control can never be complete.  Indeed having complete control would defeat the purpose of branding in the first place.

As for a name being pluralized it pretty damn common.  When that name refers to objects rather then people its probably going to get pluralized in some form or another simply because thats the way language works.

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 12:49:20 pm »

btw: remembering latin lessons in school, plural of "lego" has to be legemus.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 12:58:27 pm »

well, but then you use it as a verb....

so I'm not allowed to say "I'm gonna show off my Ferraris" then?

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 02:14:29 pm »

Oh for crying out loud, people. They're LEGOs. It's LEGO. LEGO group tells us we should call them LEGO bricks, nine-year-olds everywhere call them LEGOs and I doubt the pickiest grammar nazi on the planet could find itself in him to call either "wrong". If you want to be hard-nosed about it, follow LEGO's recommendation and treat it as an adjective, otherwise use it however you want.

On-topic, I generally plan things in DF, but I recognize that that's hardly ideal. I think if I were inspired to do better, I would probably use graph paper--there's something about having an actual, physical representation of what you're doing that no digital model, no matter how convenient or detailed, can match.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 02:47:12 pm »

For the sake of sanity, LEGO bricks are called LEGOs, because they're the most basic and most widespread product of a company. The thing you mean when you say "a LEGO" is most often a brick (or a piece, given the latest quasihumanoid contraptions). There's a reason you say "a Toyota" - because a "toyota car" is pretty much saying the same thing twice - there's hardly anything other than a car that's a Toyota. Same with LEGO, and the derivative plural LEGOs.

As for planning fortresses...  well, I think any kind of pixel drawing software can do, unless you really have a hard time thinking volumetric.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 08:57:34 pm »

I find the programs controls to be very un-intuitive and difficult to use.  I recommend others skip it.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 04:49:18 am »

i called them lego ever... even with 9 jeahrs and without a company advisor told me to do so ^^

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 08:47:59 am »

I believe the issue with the LEGO comes from the gap between English language an US English as I have only ever heard of them referred to as 'legos' (sic) by Americans.

Since the English invented the language and Americans are all inbred, illiterate, fools then it’s safe to say that LEGO is the correct use.

I jest  ;D wikipedia says thus-

"The word LEGO® is a brand name and is very special to all of us in the LEGO Group Companies. We would sincerely like your help in keeping it special. Please always refer to our bricks as 'LEGO Bricks or Toys' and not 'LEGOS.' By doing so, you will be helping to protect and preserve a brand of which we are very proud and that stands for quality the world over. Thank you! Susan Williams, Consumer Services."

"Lego" is officially written in all uppercase letters. The company asserts that to protect its brand name, the word Lego must always be used as an adjective, as in "Lego set", "Lego products", "Lego universe", and so forth.

Therefore every time you say ‘legos’ you’re hurting the brand, and god kills a kitten.

On subject I don’t get why people have to plan their fortresses, with the ability to build walls and floors there really is no situation you cannot change and I generally stick to the same design of fortress every time anyway...
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 09:49:56 am »

I always called them legos for a plural as a kid.  :-\

I'm sorry, but the english language already has too many words that are both singular and plural. We don't need another one.

Maybe plural could be legi?

"The english language is a malleable tool to be used for your enjoyment."

Some writer said that, one of those free-formers that don't use punctuation.
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 01:51:38 pm »

I don't call them LEGOS I call them LEGOs, so there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5