Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Cage? What!!!  (Read 2016 times)

Goldsie

• Bay Watcher
  • Tears the throats out of wolves!
    • View Profile
Dwarf Cage? What!!!
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:33:54 am »

In my current fort im playing a terrifying desert, now I sent out my small army to dispose of some camels who got to close, then going through my military list to assign some of the more brain damaged individuals to the fortress guard when I found this,

now this guy had just arrived in my fort and had been instant drafted and im wondering, wtf? He's currently sitting in the animal stockpile and Im wondering how to dispose of him. Anyone else had this happen before? And any suggestions for disposing of this failure... (p.s. I have magma)
http://springrts.com/

play it, love it

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Dwarf Cage? What!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:43:04 am »

Oh just let the poor dwarf out.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:02 am »

What I think has happened is that he got caught in a cage trap. I've had one of thos myself once too. Build it, link it up to a lever and pull to free him. Or do as you please to have some fun and make Darwin proud.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:31:33 am »

my hunters seems to end up in cage traps quite often.  could be due to the buggers not being choosy about where to sleep.  Seems that hunters will just drop sleep anytime they're tired?  Anyway, I've my share of "let the dwarf out" scenario.  Now I make it a point to check animal stockpile once in a while to see if a dwarf blinks among all the goblin prisoners.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:32:38 am »

its perfect for a zoo! any dwarfen zoo should have dwarfs
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:17:42 am »

If a dwarf falls unconscious on a cage trap, he/she'll be caught by the trap. Just build the cage and then unassign the dwarf.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 03:06:51 pm »

my hunters seems to end up in cage traps quite often.  could be due to the buggers not being choosy about where to sleep.  Seems that hunters will just drop sleep anytime they're tired?  Anyway, I've my share of "let the dwarf out" scenario.  Now I make it a point to check animal stockpile once in a while to see if a dwarf blinks among all the goblin prisoners.

I don't have hunters for this very reason. Except my traps would turn said hunter into a very fine paste.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 03:21:44 pm »

Just be happy it was a cage trap he fell asleep on, rather than a weapon trap with ten pointy objects in it.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:23:49 pm »

Leave him in there. Because animals in cages don't need any sustenance, he's completely cold storage and useful when you need him to haul crap. When you're done, draft him and cage trap him again.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 11:36:06 pm »

Leave him in there. Because animals in cages don't need any sustenance, he's completely cold storage and useful when you need him to haul crap. When you're done, draft him and cage trap him again.

Huh. So dwarven cages are, in all actuality, stasis chambers?

You know, that really makes me want to construct a giant underground facility where the walls are literally just lined with dwarven 'stasis pods', a la Mass Effect..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:51:57 pm »

Huh. So dwarven cages are, in all actuality, stasis chambers?

This is true, I mean how else could you fill a room full of caged animals with magma and as long as the cages don't melt the creatures inside are okay, however...

There is an exception to this, as dwarves that are trapped in cages still need to be given food and water or they will die, just as children that are in a babysnatcher's bag need to be fed if the babysnatcher is caught in a cage trap. This will generate "bring food" and "bring water" tasks for your dwarves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 04:32:22 am »

So they bring food and water to dwarves caught in cages?
Other question, i caught myself a dwarf probably raised by gobos in an ambush, does he need food and water?
Other question, do dwarves that are caught in a trap contribute to the max allowed population of the fortress?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 04:39:39 am »

huh, I had adamantine cages that while the cages were magma proof, the gobbos caught inside burn to a fine crisp when swamped with magma.

I guess that's been changed or something.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:46:41 am »

So they bring food and water to dwarves caught in cages?
Other question, i caught myself a dwarf probably raised by gobos in an ambush, does he need food and water?
Other question, do dwarves that are caught in a trap contribute to the max allowed population of the fortress?
1: Correct
2 & 3: I have no idea

huh, I had adamantine cages that while the cages were magma proof, the gobbos caught inside burn to a fine crisp when swamped with magma.

I guess that's been changed or something.

I am not 100 percent sure on this one, it happened on an old version and it might have been changed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 11:37:07 am »

BURN HIM!
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.
Pages: [1] 2