Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: stones that make you go wtf?  (Read 5051 times)

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stones that make you go wtf?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 06:55:31 pm »

Of course you would float well in it, but you would still not be able to stand in it, and if you end up face down, well, try coughing up something 13.5 times as dense as water.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 07:10:14 pm »

Mercury is a horrible choice for poison-tipped arrowheads. Haven't you seen mercury on anything before? It pools up and sort of drifts away in little blobs, even on something like carpet, so you wouldn't really be able to coat an arrowhead with it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 07:25:10 pm »

Mercury is a horrible choice for poison-tipped arrowheads. Haven't you seen mercury on anything before? It pools up and sort of drifts away in little blobs, even on something like carpet, so you wouldn't really be able to coat an arrowhead with it.

It has high viscosity and does not wet objects as water does.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 11:57:13 pm »

Inobtanite, which is admittedly a modded stone.
But I'm very, very tired of having to abandon a fort in the first year because we're in no way set up to have the King arrive the first summer.  ::)

And I can't seem to find the file to remove it from.

And for just a little extra irony, it just happened to this fort, having spent 7 hours laying out 6-room apartment towers for dwarves to live in.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:02:53 am by XmasApe »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 04:04:32 am »

Because of this thread, I looked up a few rocks and minerals found in the game.

My WTF moment was looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivine where is said that olivine has "Poor Cleavage". :o

Believe it or not but cleavage is quite important in minerals. The cleavage is pretty much the minerals tendency to cut along defined planes. The reason you can get diamonds to have such a smooth glass-like surface is due to cleavage. When a jeweler cuts a diamond he/she must know the correct angle to which to hit the diamond at (ie the cleavage plane). If the jeweler fails to do this the diamond will shatter. Sorry for the science lesson ::)

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 05:08:39 am »

Seriously mercury as a poison when you already have multiple types of collectable venoms in the game? Possibly use it as a burning substance against attackers medeaval style. Boiling oil poured from atop. As mercury is liquid at room temperature it would allow it to be poured. Fair enough no fires and magma does the job but hey it could be a fancy trap :P

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 05:48:43 am »

But you could carry barrels and barrels of mercury and use it to pour into moats so you can walk across the top...

Use 1001
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 06:57:57 am »

Yeah, then you breathe in too much of the vapor while walking across it and die.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 09:43:21 am »

But you could carry barrels and barrels of mercury and use it to pour into moats so you can walk across the top...

Use 1001
It would take several Ultra-Mighty dwarves to *lift* a barrel of mercury.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:50 am »

Check your history folks.  Mercury wasn't always thought of as poisonous.  It used to be given as medicine (much like bleeding and leeches).  It's not poisonous except in prolonged exposure.

On the other hand,
Urist, Clothier cancels Make Hat.  Gone Mad
would be pretty awesome.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 08:46:56 am »

The ideal use for mercury would be in childs toys...  :P

Actually I could see a use for it in tanning and haberdashery.  MAking super high quality leathers... 

Any one know what tempeture it freezes at? It could be interesting in freezing enviroments.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 06:30:07 pm »

Believe it or not but cleavage is quite important in minerals. The cleavage is pretty much the minerals tendency to cut along defined planes. The reason you can get diamonds to have such a smooth glass-like surface is due to cleavage. When a jeweler cuts a diamond he/she must know the correct angle to which to hit the diamond at (ie the cleavage plane). If the jeweler fails to do this the diamond will shatter. Sorry for the science lesson ::)
Thanks for the background. I was reluctant to do a search for "cleavage" while at work. ;)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 08:35:34 pm »

Actually I could see a use for it in tanning and haberdashery.  MAking super high quality leathers... 

Any one know what tempeture it freezes at? It could be interesting in freezing enviroments.

Err... I don't see anything online to tell me mercury is used in tanning. Where did you hear that? I'm not even sure how that would work.

Oh, and it freezes at -37.89 °F (which is about the same in °C). Pretty low, but achievable in extremely low temperature areas.

Omniarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 12:01:29 am »

Err... I don't see anything online to tell me mercury is used in tanning. Where did you hear that? I'm not even sure how that would work.

Oh, and it freezes at -37.89 °F (which is about the same in °C). Pretty low, but achievable in extremely low temperature areas.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Hat making

From the mid-18th to the mid-19th centuries, a process called "carroting" was used in the making of felt hats. Animal skins were rinsed in an orange solution (the term "carroting" arose from this color) of the mercury compound mercuric nitrate, Hg(NO3)2·2H2O.[20] This process separated the fur from the pelt and matted it together. This solution and the vapors it produced were highly toxic. The United States Public Health Service banned the use of mercury in the felt industry in December 1941. The psychological symptoms associated with mercury poisoning are said by some to have inspired the phrase "mad as a hatter", though etymological study suggests that the phrase is actually much older and unrelated to hatters - see hatter for commentary on the origin of the phrase. Lewis Carroll's "Mad Hatter" in his book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was a play on words based on the older phrase, but the character himself does not exhibit symptoms of mercury poisoning.[21]

I modded my game to allow smelting of mercury from cinnabar, and it's melting point is set such that it should be a liquid at normal temperature (not that I actually would have any use for it yet).  I just haven't found any cinnabar in this game yet :/

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 12:07:01 am »

Of course you would float well in it, but you would still not be able to stand in it, and if you end up face down, well, try coughing up something 13.5 times as dense as water.

If I presume correctly, it'll be sufficient dense for not even drown (you'll have a hard time breathing it in if you're face down).  It'll be nearly impossible to stand in thou (think really slippery floor... with ANY shoes).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4