Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: stones that make you go wtf?  (Read 5047 times)

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stones that make you go wtf?
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 01:06:08 pm »

If I presume correctly, it'll be sufficient dense for not even drown (you'll have a hard time breathing it in if you're face down).  It'll be nearly impossible to stand in thou (think really slippery floor... with ANY shoes).
But you can sit on it:

That would probably be the stupidest filling for a moat, for several reasons.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stones that make you go wtf?
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »

The ideal use for mercury would be in childs toys...  :P

Actually I could see a use for it in tanning and haberdashery.  MAking super high quality leathers... 

Any one know what tempeture it freezes at? It could be interesting in freezing enviroments.

Err... I don't see anything online to tell me mercury is used in tanning. Where did you hear that? I'm not even sure how that would work.

Oh, and it freezes at -37.89 °F (which is about the same in °C). Pretty low, but achievable in extremely low temperature areas.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Hat making

From the mid-18th to the mid-19th centuries, a process called "carroting" was used in the making of felt hats. Animal skins were rinsed in an orange solution (the term "carroting" arose from this color) of the mercury compound mercuric nitrate, Hg(NO3)2·2H2O.[20] This process separated the fur from the pelt and matted it together. This solution and the vapors it produced were highly toxic. The United States Public Health Service banned the use of mercury in the felt industry in December 1941. The psychological symptoms associated with mercury poisoning are said by some to have inspired the phrase "mad as a hatter", though etymological study suggests that the phrase is actually much older and unrelated to hatters - see hatter for commentary on the origin of the phrase. Lewis Carroll's "Mad Hatter" in his book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was a play on words based on the older phrase, but the character himself does not exhibit symptoms of mercury poisoning.[21]

There's a difference between tanning leather and extracting the hair/fur into felt from skin. A big difference.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]