Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If this gets implemented, which Guild would you like to see first?

The Miners Guild - House Tekkud (Pick)
The Woodworkers Guild - House Lolum (Wood)
The Stoneworkers Guild - House Lam (Stone)
The Animal Handlers Guild- House Fer (Beast)
The Smiths Guild  - House Zuntir (Anvil)
The Jewelers Guild - House Istrath (Jewel)
The Craftsdwarves Guild - House Rigoth (Craft)
The Fishworkers Guild - House Tatlosh (Fish)
The Farmers Guild - House Ber (Earth)
The Engineers Guild - House Olon (Gear)
Handlers of the Dead - House Rash (Death)
The Military Orders

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Return of the Guild Masters  (Read 35149 times)

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Guilds - Guild Masters
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 02:41:02 pm »

As long as raising the dead gets in, I don't care what else does.

?

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 03:11:04 pm »

May I add my two cents?  In the 2D version, where Nobles were of course Noble and were untouchable,  I was under the impression that he was an appointed representative of the greater nationwide guild (not just in your town). 

Maybe when the time comes it can say "The miners Guild has named Johnny Bronzepick as the town Guild master/representative" Where Johnny Bronzepick is the best skilled miner in your population.  Also I imagined that every other year the GM would journey to the Capital for a Guildwide meeting and if trek was uneventful come back with either more members or more mandates.

Also, why does everyone think the house Råsh is responsible for raising the dead?  It's the undertaker's job to keep the dead in their place.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 03:38:08 pm »

I've got an (unexpected) hour or so free, so I'm gonna do another edit today. In particular I am going to rewrite some of the early post to more readily convey some of the background of guilds in DF, as well as include some of the national aspects of Guilds.

Like I said above, however, I won't be adding anything in that would have any real impact outside the fort, as I don't want to have to rethink it when Toady gets to that point.

@Klokjammer - thrilled to see a post from someone that directly references the old system. I could really use your input. I want to get them back in the game, with some usefulness to the noble, but with a minimum of Total Game Overhaultm that seems to pervade the boards right now.

@everybody else: don't take the above to mean I don't appreciate your input.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 03:45:27 pm »

?
The noble's death cult. I want to raise people from the dead with it.
I don't care about any of the specifics of any of the other guilds.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 03:48:06 pm »

Try reading the thread before posting. It helps. A LOT.

Reordered the sections, added a new section of basic info, added the jobs to the list, broke up a few walls of text, and broke out my crayons. Take a peek at the OP.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:21:51 pm by Othob Rithol »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »

Try reading the thread before posting. It helps. A LOT.
I see guild abilities listed. It's my .02$ of additions.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 10:42:14 pm »

Miner's Guild

Prospecting : Could be the xray vision (2-3 squares in) that only detects minerals.  This could be justified by anything from Assaying (there's a high gold content in this rock.  not enough to smelt, but there should be a vein further in) to a dwarven stone-sense.  What's new is only detecting metal ores.

Management : Guildmaster tracks veins in the wall.  He gives you acces to the mineral log, a zoom-to list of all the strikes you've made.  (Sort out the event log for just mineral finds, add zoom-to)

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prospecting
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 07:41:14 am »

From the analysis below I think my actual suggestion for how to do a GM prospector is:
  • For the miners to be able to "scan" out a few tiles in all directions, including up and down, (dabbling=0, Legendary=3) while they dig. This is stored separately from the main display.
  • The Guild Master can then spend time in his office, updating the records, to collect this information.
  • The updated files then show ore (not gems, stone, or HFS), hollow spaces, and possibly warm and wet spaces on the mining designation screen.
  • Occasional errors creep in giving false positives.
In effect we have the Miners actually doing the prospecting (common request), a Noble making it possible to see it (the common counter request), and a strictly logistical "power" for the Guild Master.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23775.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21884.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2971.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21942.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5447.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6380.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5516.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6245.0

Suggestions Welcome
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:30:18 pm by Othob Rithol »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:56 am »

wow... miner's guild by nearly fifty percent....

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05:48 am »

it has the one ability that has actually been talked about and bounced around a great deal. I'd like to find equivalents for all of them.

The Military orders are the closest : safe sparring is in big demand, and who doesn't want a trainer?

The one that shocks me is Rash...I've only kept it in for nostalgia, but evidently people really want to move tombs/have funerals/are mistakenly thinking I'm talking about raising the dead.

I think Dame de la Licorne nailed the Fisherdwarf Guild ability (prevents depletion)...it just really needs to be fleshed out in specifics (milady?). Although Wahnsinger's idea of cooperative net fishing has merit. Coastal fortress could even go whaling ;)

Osmosis Jones and his "trade for exotics" also has some serious merit.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:33 am »

House deBeers:

The diamond cartel guild in real life has some interesting dwarf fortress abilities, especially if completed with an assumed off-site master guild.
        Controlled supply : The guild will not let you finish (cut) or sell the stones except at a certain rate.  By following these mandates, the value of your gem exports are increased.  (If you only sell when they say sell, you get a 50% profit increase.)
        Manufactured demand.  The guild runs an advertising campaign, creating an artificial demand for a gem you just happen to have an abundance for.  Increase your profits!
        Slave Labour: The house knows how to teach miner's to dig for gems, even the chained up goblins.  (Increased chance of raw gem production, regardless of the miner's skill.

Part 2

I'd like to see the guilds have random names and be created as associations during world gen.  The skills for the miner's guild would stay the same, but you'd get three miner's guilds created in world gen.  Then, you could get migrants and starting dwarves that were members of the guild, even if it isn't active in your area.  All sorts of social play could be derived from that.  Plus, it would give adventurers a new quest giver, and more stuff in the existing dwarf cities.  (Guildhall).  Long term, different guilds could actually be different (random) combinations of skills.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 12:05:33 pm »

I think Dame de la Licorne nailed the Fisherdwarf Guild ability (prevents depletion)...it just really needs to be fleshed out in specifics (milady?).

OK, just an idea as to how this would work.  Currently the fishers will catch any fish that can spawn in pools regardless of season.  Perhaps the GM could cause the fishers to only catch certain fish during certain months/seasons.  So you could only catch turtles during the late spring and summer, but you could catch char during the fall and early winter, for example. 
This handling idea does require extra coding from Toady, but he may be able to use some code from the plants/fields, since it's the same general idea.

In addition, the GM could become aware that a given pool's fish population is getting low and he could forbid fishing there until the stocks increase, by automatically canceling/suspending the fishing jobs spawned by the relevant squares along with a single message along the lines of "X pool stocks are too low to harvest" and then when the stocks are healthy again, the GM allows the jobs again with a single message saying "X pool stocks ready for harvest", or something similar.

Seem reasonable?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:10:22 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 12:49:47 pm »

Fashion Guild:

Yet another evil guild based on current business patterns.  Pretty much recycling some of the Jeweler's stuff here.

Guild increases the demand for new clothes.  Rather than replacing their clothes when they reach XXRuinedXX, dwarves will now replace them when they are xWornx.  This increases the demand for the entire production tree, which is good, because if you've got enough clothiers and weavers for a guild, you've got a lot of excess clothing.  This also increases the value of your exports, since other dwarves will be interested in the latest Boatmurdered fashions.

This could also be (In the realm of bad ideas I don't like) expanded into the 'randomized recipe' range, where the dye patterns and garment cuts are given random names

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:06 pm »

House deBeers:

The diamond cartel guild in real life has some interesting dwarf fortress abilities, especially if completed with an assumed off-site master guild.
        Controlled supply : The guild will not let you finish (cut) or sell the stones except at a certain rate.  By following these mandates, the value of your gem exports are increased.  (If you only sell when they say sell, you get a 50% profit increase.)
        Manufactured demand.  The guild runs an advertising campaign, creating an artificial demand for a gem you just happen to have an abundance for.  Increase your profits!
        Slave Labour: The house knows how to teach miner's to dig for gems, even the chained up goblins.  (Increased chance of raw gem production, regardless of the miner's skill.

You got a thing against deBeers too , huh? I don't care how much I love her, she's not getting a diamond. Sapphires, rubies, Emeralds, Garnets...just no Diamonds.

On Topic: That could have some nice synergy with the Kimberlite Pipes in UD. Honestly, though I really don't think the concept fits.
I'm not sure ad campaigns fit the world. We're still in the situation where you only see 3 trade caravans a year at best. Add a printing press to your mechanics thread ;).
For the slave labor part we'd have to wait for slave labor to be in...obviously.   
It'd have to be sell (not cut) so you could consume them locally. You could do this really easily by having the GM mandate no (insert gem) exports mandates.

The extension into fashion, IMHO, would be contingent on the craft guild becoming the textile guild. Unless Toady changes the way the job categories work, I won't mess with that. Although as
I wrote in Techhead's thread, I think that should happen, with glass going jeweler, bone going ranger, and wood & stone going to their categories.

Part 2

I'd like to see the guilds have random names and be created as associations during world gen.  The skills for the miner's guild would stay the same, but you'd get three miner's guilds created in world gen.  Then, you could get migrants and starting dwarves that were members of the guild, even if it isn't active in your area.  All sorts of social play could be derived from that.  Plus, it would give adventurers a new quest giver, and more stuff in the existing dwarf cities.  (Guildhall).  Long term, different guilds could actually be different (random) combinations of skills.

Somewhere, sometime in all my editing I remove the line that said that Guilds would get random names, which would be listed on the member's z screens. The way I figure it, we the player say Miner's Guild, the concept in Dwarvedom is the House of the Pick, and the name of the guild is Fliffypoof the Random Selection of Words.

I'll add it back in next edit.

OK, just an idea as to how this would work.  Currently the fishers will catch any fish that can spawn in pools regardless of season.  Perhaps the GM could cause the fishers to only catch certain fish during certain months/seasons.  So you could only catch turtles during the late spring and summer, but you could catch char during the fall and early winter, for example. 
This handling idea does require extra coding from Toady, but he may be able to use some code from the plants/fields, since it's the same general idea.

In addition, the GM could become aware that a given pool's fish population is getting low and he could forbid fishing there until the stocks increase, by automatically canceling/suspending the fishing jobs spawned by the relevant squares along with a single message along the lines of "X pool stocks are too low to harvest" and then when the stocks are healthy again, the GM allows the jobs again with a single message saying "X pool stocks ready for harvest", or something similar.

Seem reasonable?

Quite. I'll tell you what, use that exact post as a place to refine the idea as you see fit, and I'll link directly to it in the OP...kinda like I did for Prospecting.

If you want to do the same for Jeweling, Granite, feel free to do so (same deal...use one post, make it a formal suggestion, will link and give credit).

We'll make this truly a cooperative effort, and I'll seriously consider any well thought out idea for a guild that isn't already filled. I reserve veto for myself and to any already credited with a guild.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:09:22 pm by Othob Rithol »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9