Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If this gets implemented, which Guild would you like to see first?

The Miners Guild - House Tekkud (Pick)
The Woodworkers Guild - House Lolum (Wood)
The Stoneworkers Guild - House Lam (Stone)
The Animal Handlers Guild- House Fer (Beast)
The Smiths Guild  - House Zuntir (Anvil)
The Jewelers Guild - House Istrath (Jewel)
The Craftsdwarves Guild - House Rigoth (Craft)
The Fishworkers Guild - House Tatlosh (Fish)
The Farmers Guild - House Ber (Earth)
The Engineers Guild - House Olon (Gear)
Handlers of the Dead - House Rash (Death)
The Military Orders

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Return of the Guild Masters  (Read 35142 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Guilds - Guild Masters
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2008, 05:54:28 pm »

3) Ranger (RENAME to Animals)
    * Ambusher
    * Animal caretaker
    * Animal dissector
    * Animal trainer
    * Trapper
    * Bone carver (MOVED from Crafters)
    * Butcher (MOVED from Farmer)
    * Cheese maker (MOVED from Farmer)
    * Milker (MOVED from Farmer)

I believe the Cheese Makers should remain where they are because they use one type of food to make another type of food (milk -> cheese), like farmers (seeds -> plants).  Both end results are edible raw, and can be cooked. 
Milkers are controversial since they only produce a type of food that must be cooked before it can be consumed, so I'm ambivalent on where they should end up.  Personally I just find it better if they are placed in the animal category (as stated in the past few posts), but they could stay where they are just as easily.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2008, 07:01:16 am »

Cyan is used by peasants. Well, legendary peasants. So the cyan dwarves everyone is clamoring for would have to flash fishery dwarf color when they're legendary, or be indistinguishable from legendary peasants.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2008, 08:34:04 am »

There are two cyans; only one of them is used by peasants.  The other one could be used for some new skill group.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2008, 10:24:20 am »

Miners->Stoneworkers
    This makes a lot of sense. I'm just apprehensive about merging the most popular guild.

Tanners->Clothworkers OR Animal Handlers
    This one is bit of a coin toss.

Alchemy Guild
     I wouldn't want to touch this one with a 10' pole until Toady has worked that arc.

Potash Makers
     Potash does have an agricultural use, hence I kept it in farmer.

Lye Maker/Soapmaker
     Until they actually do something significant, they are as dangerous to work with as Alchemists.

Cheesemaker->Farmers OR Animal Handlers
      It is rare under the new breakdown for the "collect resource" job and the "refine resource"
      job to be seperated, but cheese is an edible food, like the Dame said.

Cleaner's Guild
     Cleaning/Hauling is a universal behavior, and the lowest paid job. I can't really imagine         
     them forming a guild. A modern union, yes, but that is beyond the scope of the guilds   
     discussion.

Just my thoughts.

edit: Did a massive clean-up of the original post, removing the really complex nested list tags that were made as the list evolved. Should be much easier to quote/edit now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:08:51 am by Othob Rithol »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:39 am »

I kind of agree on you with on Alchemy, but rearranging the tasks with at least two giant holes (alchemy and magery) seems... difficult.

I figure all the chemistry based skills should be in one place.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2008, 04:02:24 am »

These are professional associations, so the focus should be on where the individual professions would find common interest. Miners really do belong with stoneworkers, both logically and professionally. I would imagine that the stoneworkers guild is the most powerful in Dwarfdom, and it should be.

Tanners are part of the clothing industry. Just as a weaver is not a farmer, a tanner is not an animal handler. Their interests lie with the clothing industry and they have more in common with one another than they do with butchers or planters.

The Ashery and the Alchemists lab are already in the game, and are more closely related to one another than any other guild group. I wouldn't imagine most players have enough dwarves proficient in any of these skills to matter though.

Cheesemaker is a legitimate tossup, though obviously I still think their interests are more closely aligned with that of milkers and animal handlers than they are with the food industry.

Guilds only existed for skilled laborers, so a cleaners or haulers guild would seem entirely inappropriate. Also inappropriate would seem the guild of death. As stated in the overview, this is a role that should be handled in a religion system.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2008, 02:16:12 pm »

Modified the appendix based on what I believe to be consensus.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2008, 02:02:58 pm »

Hell, why not make the guilds definable in the raws?

You'd need:

Guild Name
Guild Leader
Guild Leader Powers (drawn from a list of possibilities)
Guild Jobs

(This was originally an idea about assigning 'magic' to groups in the raws.  Specifically a God being able to grant his followers powers and the village of monks where the residents tend to have chi kung fu powers)

More on topic:  The Craftsguilds 'build specific workshop' ability could be added to the smithies as well.

Edit :: SpellCheck has ruined my brain
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:58:19 pm by Granite26 »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008, 04:28:05 pm »

that would be a good implementation, Toady willing.

Will add multiple smithies types.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Guild Masters
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2008, 09:58:02 am »

I would love to see the woodworker's guild allow landscaping. I'm thinking specifically of planting trees, surrounded by paved ground, next to a road, much like how trees are planted in urban sidewalks in real life. The tree in the middle, and a ring of paved area to prevent weeds but allow water.

The reason I mention this is because I enjoy making a "highway" across my map, with a branch that leads to my fort entrance, so I can pretend that the caravans are actually stopping by on a longer journey. It would be nice to have trees by the side of the road, or a pattern of shrubs/flowers, much like a highway rest stop or something similar.

Interior landscaping with underground plants would be fun as well. Long ago I put in a suggestion for allowing potted plants in people's rooms, but I realize that's a distant power goal (I would love to see this game have more of a The Sims element in decorating people's rooms).

I like the idea of the hunter's guild letting people tell the hunters to go in pairs or packs of 3, for dangerous climates.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2008, 05:48:09 pm »

I too would like to see some sort of landscaping. I've contemplated going so far as to make the tile for a statue to look the same as a tree, just so I can "plant" one.

I think putting this in Guilds would just be a tack-on. This is one of those suggestions that has merit it it's own right.  I'd love to see this added to the Herbalist skill: can plant trees and shrubs.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:14 pm »

Very good and informative topic Othob, thanks for your work!  8)
..as for the poll, I would prefer to have The Military Orders guild first of all, especially because Toady is working on the Army Arc now, however The Miners Guild would be also good to have as fast as possible.  :)

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2008, 09:28:41 pm »

I don't believe this was mentioned, but what about giving skill bonuses for having a guild? Because when I think of a guild, I imagine when those dwarfs are chatting they're sharing their experiences with each other.

Maybe it could be a one-time bonus of 1000exp for joining a guild, or 100exp for participating in a guild meeting. Maybe experience could be divided up evenly with each dwarf, so all guildies would be modestly useful...
I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guild Masters as Trainers
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2008, 01:20:03 am »

Since we have some serious utility holes in some of the GM abilities, I was thinking of emphasizing the ability of all GMs to serve as trainers like the military orders do.

The way I was thinking about it, the GM could get a new task "Assist a Guild Member". While the member was actually performing the task (smithing, mining, sparring) the GM would provide an xp multiplier based on the difference in their skills. So a Proficient GM might only be able to give a 10% boost in xp gain to a novice, while a legendary GM could double or even triple the xp gain for the same novice.

The GM would also gain a little xp (you learn a lot by teaching). This would help keep the GM at a high skill level despite the fact that he/she is being frequently drawn away by other tasks (meetings, office work, training) or even having the labors removed to free up time for guild business.

This would also promote the creation of "training" workshops. Set them Guild-Only, with a skill maximum set just above the "students" (or even set specifically to a student). Set a job to repeat and only the "students" will come to work there. The GM will then "help " them.

It could also be possible with some guilds to limit the GM's training area to just within the designated guild hall. This has an added benefit of making it more likely that the Guild Hall is built near the actual work sites (to save hauling from input and output stockpiles).

The downside is that it is unlikely, even with (or because of)  GMs selected based on highest average skill (all the skills the guild governs), that the GM is the best possible choice to train someone. The GM might be a legendary cook, brewer, and thresher...but have absolutely no skill at milling.

The above point might lead into an area of discussion I at first scorned, but now think might make a good appendix: A more detailed Guild structure including Journeymen/Masters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:25:21 am by Othob Rithol »

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2008, 08:48:18 am »

I see no problem with having 10 guilds in a large fortress. The rule that there must be 5-8 proficient members to form a guild seems legitimate, and entirely achievable for all 10 groupings. As with other "working nobles", the only initial requirements for a "small" guild should be a bedroom and an office. Only as guild size and proficiency grows should demands increase. Demands like better quarters for legendary guild members seem reasonable as well. The power/demands of a guild should be based on how often you use their services, the number of members, the proficiency of individual members, and the total proficiency of all members.

I think that the power of a guild's demands should be that if you don't accede to them and give them what they want, NONE of the guild members will work on jobs associated with their guild.  And, it should give unhappy thoughts to every member.  The worker strike would end once you got them what they wanted.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9