Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: cave adaptation  (Read 3852 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cave adaptation
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 12:10:13 am »

The easiest way to avoid cave adaptation is to build a statue garden outside (in an area inaccessible except via your main entrance).  Or, just never leave.

I've never heard of a cure.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 03:21:33 am »

my dwarves puked for about 2 seasons and then stopped(i m building a huge wall every dwarf exept miners have to build it)
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 04:41:15 am »

"boni"? is that a slang term for "benefits", in some romance language? (spanish, italian, french?) or am i way off?
It's the original latin plural of 'bonus' (at least without writing that stupid elongation mark above the i). This not only provides nefarious ambiguity but also tells the reader to oh my god kiss my feet because I'm using unspeakable xenonyms to prove my unquestionable superiority. ;D
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 04:43:55 am »

"boni"? is that a slang term for "benefits", in some romance language? (spanish, italian, french?) or am i way off?
It's the original latin plural of 'bonus' (at least without writing that stupid elongation mark above the i). This not only provides nefarious ambiguity but also tells the reader to oh my god kiss my feet because I'm using unspeakable xenonyms to prove my unquestionable superiority. ;D
english is quite a xenonym based language;) end indead itself is real "xeno" for most of the forum readers  ... so don't see why we wouldn't use the real historycal inter-language(latin) some times ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 04:50:41 am »

english is quite a xenonym based language;) end indead itself is real "xeno" for most of the forum readers  ... so don't see why we wouldn't use the real historycal inter-language(latin) some times ...

Because even less of us know latin (than those who know english).

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 04:59:13 am »

sad sad ... however i now it is out of topic but wich language you mostly learn in th USA?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 05:26:07 am »

geez, i shoulda figured that out on my own, i was tipped off to the romance root from "duro" which i know has a latin root in "hard".
'
hooray for dead languages, i can say the whole pledge of allegiance (american) in latin!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 05:28:29 am by hexrei »

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 12:58:39 pm »

sad sad ... however i now it is out of topic but wich language you mostly learn in th USA?

Those who are from here tend not to really learn other languages.  We recite things in French or Spanish (usually) when we're in secondary school, but then we forget it all when we're done. 

Immigrant populations are pressured to learn english.  We're very jingoistic, I'm afraid.   
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 04:33:01 pm »

Those who are from here tend not to really learn other languages.  We recite things in French or Spanish (usually) when we're in secondary school, but then we forget it all when we're done. 

Immigrant populations are pressured to learn english.  We're very jingoistic, I'm afraid.   

bad for you speaking languages makes you be able to think in different ways and it is cool i found ...
Mohreb el Yasim

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 06:46:40 pm »

When I went on holiday to New York, I found the number of signs in Spanish laughable. Mohreb el Yasim is right though, knowing other languages really opens your mind.

On the topic of cave adaptation, there's a really interesting thread on /tg/ right now.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 11:46:45 pm »

Err, doesn't bonus simply mean "good" in Latin?  It is an adjective, and as such, it has no Latin plural (unless you count declensions to agree with plural nouns, but that's not the idea here).

Moreover, just having a word ending in -us, does not automatically make -i the proper plural, even if it comes from Latin.

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 06:31:21 am »

"Bonus" is an o-declination (declension or whatever) adjective, and as such, the plural of "bonus" is "boni" (why the hell would an adjective not have a plural form?). Now, you could argue that "bonus" is the wrong gender, and it should be "bonum" or something, which would make the plural "bona". Nevertheless, "boni" is the plural form of "bonus", and thus perfectly fine to use. Instead of complaining that it doesn't adhere to common usage of English you could also say "Well, you learn something every day" and be done with it...

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 07:34:52 am »

Instead of complaining that it doesn't adhere to common usage of English you could also say "Well, you learn something every day" and be done with it...
But we're on the internet!

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 07:42:55 am »

"All we know is that there's still no contact with Urist since his party broke through the glowing wall, and that a xenonym may be involved."
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 08:39:02 am »

If you really can't stand the green stuff and have your main activity taking place 1 or 2 z levels to the surface you can mine it all out and refloor. Once they're exposed they should count as open air and the silly dwarves won't see a difference. Just gotta watch out to keep some soil wherever you have your farm. If you wanna build on top of the floor well ye d have to sacrifice a z -level full of walls to create a buildable surface on the ground level.

As far as i know though puking is just another part of the daily dwarven cycle, I have dwarves go to bed go to work and come back to bed leaving a fellow dwarf with a cut off leg starving and dehydarting in the corner of their rooms i don't think they'll care for puke near the exit staircase :P
Pages: 1 [2]