Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cave adaptation  (Read 3860 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cave adaptation
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:57 am »

I built a 3x3 area exposed to the sky between the bedrooms and the food/meeting hall early on to try to avoid CA. All dwarves must pass this area. The result is that area did not stop the CA and the 3x3 area is always fully green with vomit. Anyone have any more specifics on how to avoid cave adaptation? Is it possible to cure CA with forced sunlight?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:10:38 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: cave adaptation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:06 pm »

I'm fairly sure just walking quickly though a section of sunlight isn't enough to cure it, since they don't get sick when walking outside for brief periods even when they're cave adapted.

For best results, make a statue room/cave room/dining hall and set that open to the sky, and your dwarves will happily mill around in there a lot of the time rather than just walking through it.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »

I've never seen a dwarf cured of cave adaptation, not that I ever tried that hard.  Can they be cured?  Also what self respecting dwarf wants to party under the harsh glare of the bald sun?  Walking thru a patch of light once in a while seems far more preferable.

Mirrors would also be pretty cool, imagine if you could reflect light farther into your fortress.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:36:28 pm »

Mirrors must mean lenses.
Dwarven Death ray time :3
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:14:17 pm »

Mirrors must mean lenses.
Dwarven Death ray time :3

Rule of Dwarf Fortress: If it exists, it must be weaponized.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:08:46 pm »

They might be able to become uncave adaptable, I think its something that just hasn't been confermed by anyone.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:50:06 pm »

Pretty sure CA can't be cured. On my last couple fortresses I haven't even bothered avoiding CA as I never plan on leaving ;p But on my initial fort, opening up my main stairwell seemed to do a good job at preventing CA from developing, but I only played until I hit 100pop.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:46 pm »

I think I was never able to cure any case of cave adaption, at least the green giant skid marks outside the fortresses always were fresh. At first I hated it, because it lowered the efficiency and perfection of my dwarven anthills. Then I found it quite awsome. Then I didn't care anymore. And for now, I found redemption in the sublime purity of [NONAUSEA], bless the toad.
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:39:29 pm »

Does CA have any advantages or is it just to offset dwarves being the only ones with access to moods and fighting trances?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:52 pm »

Set them all to fish, and hope you don't have a full scale revolt.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59:06 pm »

Does CA have any advantages or is it just to offset dwarves being the only ones with access to moods and fighting trances?
Taking the dwarf creature definition into account, it's primarily a downside for getting certain boni while underground; dunno what those boni are, though. In principle it would be no big deal to make a race unable to trance that will paint the floor green nontheless.
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »

Taking the dwarf creature definition into account, it's primarily a downside for getting certain boni while underground; dunno what those boni are, though. In principle it would be no big deal to make a race unable to trance that will paint the floor green nontheless.

"boni"? is that a slang term for "benefits", in some romance language? (spanish, italian, french?) or am i way off?

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »

It certainly is possible to reverse cave adaptation. In my last fort I built a outdoor meeting hall, and after a year or so they all hung out there without vomiting all over. Useful if your defensive system is largely outside and if your asthetic sense is offended by green puddles everywhere.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »

i never have problems with CA because hauling the 50 dead goblin corpes with all their narrow stuff give my dwarfs lots of time to spend outside ^^ and the barraks are inside a surface construction so light all the time :>
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:40:25 pm »

"boni"? is that a slang term for "benefits", in some romance language? (spanish, italian, french?) or am i way off?

I took it as short for bonus(es) although it was actually making me think of somthing else... Dwarfs running around outside with their 'bonies' and puking.  Does'nt seem right.
Pages: [1] 2