Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Master List of Suggestions  (Read 3835 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Master List of Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 07:42:59 pm »

Because people won't use search but will use this thread?

I think it's useful for keeping track of the big discussions about stuff that aren't always active, but I don't think that it will help with new people making the same suggestion as the other one that's still on the front page.

Forgive my impertinence in making my first post on the forum in this particular thread, but a couple of ideas have occurred to me since I started playing.

Stone Anvils: Probably needs to wait until tool/component wear and/or relative stone hardness is implemented, as at the moment it would make embarking too easy. It could also affect the quality of the product; an anvil carved out of granite would probably be as good as a steel or iron one, but one made of something like mudstone would probably produce poor results and not last more than a few seasons.

Nails, screws, etc: Something to add an extra layer of realism -and complexity- to woodwork and metalwork. Possible alternative uses include blowgun ammunition, in traps or as catapult loads.

Concrete/Mortar: Mortar would fulfil the same role as nails and screws for construction out of stone blocks as nails and screws would for metal and wood; there could even be a separate Bricklayer skill for it. Concrete, on the other hand, would act as an alternative building material in sandy areas with limited reserves of good building stone, but incur unhappy thoughts and be subject to greater wear and tear.

Gunpowder: Oh, just use your imagination for this one!

Sometimes it sucks to be right all the time...

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 04:01:57 am »

Philosopher job: philosophize.

For all I know, this may already be implemented. I haven't gotten a fortress with a philosopher yet.

Instead of making the philosopher an especially lazy peasant, make him actually have an impact on the fortress. When not busy fulfilling bodily needs, the philosopher should head to a nearby meeting place and "philosophize". In other words, try to drag the other dwarfs who are on break there into intellectual discussions.

This may generate happy or unhappy thoughts in the other dwarfs, depending on whether they have a "likes/dislikes intellectual discussions" note in their personality profile. The ones who likes intellectual discussions will also befriend the philosopher pretty quickly, which makes his survival much more important.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:43 pm »

Somehow you too missed the point of this thread, as if you hadn't read the previous couple of posts (or hell, THE ENTIRE THREAD).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

Because people won't use search but will use this thread?

I think it's useful for keeping track of the big discussions about stuff that aren't always active, but I don't think that it will help with new people making the same suggestion as the other one that's still on the front page.

Sometimes it sucks to be right all the time...
Man... I'm quoting myself QUOTING myself...

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2008, 01:44:53 pm »

I think the name of the thread, although completely accurate, invites this. Even if they don't read an OP, or any discussion, most people will read the title.

I hate to suggest some wonky mouthful of a name, but "Master List of Links to Suggestions" or similar might avert some casual dumpers.

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:08 pm »

Okay, here's where I got confused:

"Dear forum members, Ive decided to make a master list topic for the suggestions. Hopefully it will be helpful for Toady.
If you want your suggestions to be added to the list, send me a PM, or just make a reply in the thread..."

That's where I stopped reading. :)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

"Dear forum members, Ive decided to make a master list topic for the suggestions. Hopefully it will be helpful for Toady.
If you want your suggestions to be added to the list, send me a PM, or just make a reply in the thread..."

Same here.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 11:08:59 pm »

Note: Not all of the suggestions will be added, only the "major" suggestions. IE: If you suggest something like "new ore types", that wont be on the list.
However if you have some really constructive suggestion, like a detailed topic about how to improve the siege AI, well that will be added of course.

That next part, and the following list of links kinda points to what was intended.

But in all realism, if I didn't feel my suggestion needed its own thread, and was new to this forum, I might mistakenly dump an idea here.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:44 pm »

Okay, Ive updated the OP. It should be more clear now.  ;)

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »

Not sure if this counts as major or not: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24628.0

(Basically: use barracks ownership to determine where squads train and sleep)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 10:49:33 am »

Not sure if this counts as major or not: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24628.0

(Basically: use barracks ownership to determine where squads train and sleep)

It is a good suggestion indeed.  :)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 04:20:59 pm »

Perhaps we should PM a mod or Toady to have this thread sticked?
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 04:23:40 pm »

:o this forum has mods?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2008, 08:37:21 am »

Little update again, the Yearly status report & Realistic mining suggestions have been added to the list.  8)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:49:06 am by Tormy »

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2008, 02:39:39 pm »

:o this forum has mods?

Yes, apparently is has. Or something.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]