Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on Toughness  (Read 1388 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Question on Toughness
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:41:25 pm »

How much does toughness really affect time to heal? My wrestlers constantly get yellow injuries from sparring, and heal rather quickly, while my wood burner (Immigrant, of course) took an iron bolt to the upper body, produced a yellow injury, and immbolised himself for two seasons.

The wrestler who takes so many injuries is ultra-mighty, while the wood burner is not tough at all.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Toughness
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »

Well, my Superdwarvenly Tough Champion Axedwarf regularly heals bruises in approximately three seconds (seriously, in combat he'd heal gray wounds in the time it took him to chase a flying goblin's corpse from one space to the next) and he healed a broken shoulder in under a month.  It takes a couple of days for Tough Peasant Recruits to heal the same bruises, and one of them took a goblin arrow and got a broken leg, and that took about a year to heal.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:28:25 am »

Well, I'm wondering because he took an arrow to the upper torso, and has been in bed for a while. So, I want to know if he still has the arrow in his torso, and if he does, how can I check for it and get it removed?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:35:29 am »

I've only been playing this for a couple of months, so don't take my answer as gospel.  I don't even know how to check if an arrow is stuck in a wound (they can DO that?) or how I would remove it if one was stuck.

But from what I've heard from more experienced players, the game checks at the start of each day/week/month/season/whatever to see if a particular wound heals.  The higher Toughness a dwarf has, the greater % chance of that wound healing.

I know for a fact that wounds CAN last for a very long time.  There's no hard and fast rule that says "It takes six to nine weeks for a compound fracture to heal".  In a previous game I had a (non-tough) Woodcutter who had her leg broken by a wolf about a month after I first embarked, and it took her three and a half years before she could get out of bed.  I assume that she was just unlucky on her healing rolls.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:37:38 am »

Wait, never mind. I just recieved a message she was more experienced, so I rushed to find her, and found her making trap components.

Guess she wasn't stuck after all.

And yes, bolts can become stuck in dwarves, and if so will need removal.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:48:20 am »

So how do you tell if a bolt's stuck, how do you remove it?

(edit)  Thanks.  Nice to know.  I'm sure my dwarves thank you too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:58:40 am by Bromor Neckbeard »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:52:38 am »

Check what he's wearing. If he should be happen to be wearing an bolt or arrow of some kind, claim it and dump it, and someone will come along and remove it, allowing the wounded part of the body to heal. If you don't, he won't be able to recover.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:34 am »

Healing all seems to be sort of random right now, but toughness does overall have a large effect - champions are rarely resting for more then 2 seasons from red wounds, while Urist McArrowcatcher will be in bed for years (if not forever) from that same wound.

I'm not sure if this is caused by toughness making dwarves heal faster, or by the fact that very tough dwarves rarely (or never) cancel the rest job due to pain - it's possibly even a combination of the 2.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:47:21 am »

I'd expect dwarves to pull out any arrows stuck in them. They can't be THAT stupid to walk around everywhere with an arrow stuck in their neck because nobody told them to remove it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:45:42 am »

I'd expect dwarves to pull out any arrows stuck in them. They can't be THAT stupid to walk around everywhere with an arrow stuck in their neck because nobody told them to remove it.

But the arrow, since it's been fired, has the Forbidden property!  They wouldn't dare touch it.  :D

Oh, and pulling an arrow or bolt out causes bleeding to start again.  Usually not fatally, but it can happen.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 02:33:30 pm »

One I made a pincushion out of a giant with about a dozen arrows. Frightened by the fact he did not have even a single yellow wound, I ran away and hid.
The giant then pulled out all the arrows and bled to death.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.