Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Segregating my barracks?  (Read 3093 times)

Snikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Segregating my barracks?
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:52 pm »

So basically the situation is I have several Elite Wrestlers and Champions that I want to start training in more lethal forms of weaponry. However, I don't want to take my newbies off of their training while I do this, but I don't want my Ultra-Mighty dwarves swinging battle axes at my Dabbling Wrestlers.

What I'm thinking is that I'll set up a second barracks, fill it with cheap weapon racks and armour stands, set each of these as barracks and assign one to each of my elite dwarves. My hope is that this will cause said dwarves to spar there, instead of the general barracks I have all my recently-recruited soapers and milkers.

Will this work?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Segregating my barracks?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:53:33 pm »

I was doing this earlier today and it seems to work fine
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »

I think dwarves will spar in any room designated as a barracks regardless of anything the player does.

I'd suggest immediately equipping your newbs with the best armor you have available. I've had surprisingly few sparring casualties in my current fort as a direct result of equipping all new recruits with masterwork leather armor to begin with (they later upgraded to steel chain).

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:33 pm »

The problem isn't the elites splattering the rookies. It's the rookies accidentally injuring the elites that's the problem.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:43 pm »

Give them all war hammers, steel plate, and let Armok sort it out.  ;D

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:26:16 pm »

Problem is that Champions and Elites will stomp the floor with the newbies/fodder. And dead peasants are really a waste of good graveyard stockpile.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:37:23 pm »

Give them all war hammers, steel plate, and let Armok sort it out.  ;D

I usually just give them whatever armor I can give them and what weapons I have and don't bother to bugger around with it.

If they can't survive a simple sparring match, then they aren't worthy of being in the True Dwarven Warrior Caste.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:14:52 pm »

If they can't survive a simple sparring match, then they aren't worthy of being in the True Dwarven Warrior Caste.

Exactly, and its not like soap makers and peasants are in short supply.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:16:55 pm »

Ah, but if they make friends while sparring: Tantrum spiral may occur taking down the entire military. Champions included.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:57:31 pm »

If you give your military full plate a shields as soon as you draft them, sparring accidents are drastically reduced. In Quietshakes I have lost 0 dwarves to sparring accidents of any kind (although all three of my hammerdwarves  ended up with a broken leg for a season or two.) Remember, plate mail only covers the upper body, in order for full protection you need:

Helm ("This is a helmet! You wear it to protect your head from goblin spears!")
Plate Mail ("Like the bark of a tree, plate can be worn to ward goblins whips)
Chain Mail("Like the iron in your blood, chain mail can be worn under plate to stop goblin swords")
Gauntlets("Use this to catch goblin bolts so you can shoot them back at them!")
Greaves ("This is a cup. It menaces with spikes of
  • . If you don't want to lose your chance to have children to a goblin axe you should wear them!")

Low Boots ("These are boots. Low, like you, they keep your ankles safe from hammers and maces.")
Shield ("Wear this and learn to use it well, for some day I will throw you out on the field before me to catch arrows. Failure to do so will result in your spleen, left eye, liver, pancreas, heart, and left lung getting punctured in a single shot.)
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Falcondude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:21 pm »

• . If you don't want to lose your chance to have children to a goblin axe you should wear them!")
Urist's left testicle has been lopped off!
Urist gives in to pain.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 08:22:32 pm »

Yeah, but won't the metal cup kill the reception on the Dwarves radios?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:23:25 pm »

If you give your military full plate a shields as soon as you draft them, sparring accidents are drastically reduced. In Quietshakes I have lost 0 dwarves to sparring accidents of any kind (although all three of my hammerdwarves  ended up with a broken leg for a season or two.) Remember, plate mail only covers the upper body, in order for full protection you need:

Chain Mail("Like the iron in your blood, chain mail can be worn under plate to stop goblin swords")

Low Boots ("These are boots. Low, like you, they keep your ankles safe from hammers and maces.")
Shield ("Wear this and learn to use it well, for some day I will throw you out on the field before me to catch arrows. Failure to do so will result in your spleen, left eye, liver, pancreas, heart, and left lung getting punctured in a single shot.)

High boots > Low boots.

High boots offer both foot and lower leg protection.

Snoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 09:00:14 pm »

greaves are actually shin armour. Which raises the question as to whats up with having high boots and greaves at the same time..

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23:37 pm »

Wait. If I assign dwarfs to wear plate, will they put it on after picking up some chain and where it together? How does leather fit into all of this?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils
Pages: [1] 2