Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rome Fortress 2.0 released!  (Read 13950 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Rome Fortress 2.0 released!
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:25:12 pm »

To those of you who didn't have the priviledge of trying out the earlier iteration (way back in early 3d), Rome Fortress is a total conversion mod that aims to being some historical realism to the game. If you feel like a change, than you'll love this mod. Note that some of the early things that were in the first Rome Fortress are gone or changed around a bit.

It comes prepackaged with 40c in the download; feel free to tweak the ini settings as you please if the defaults I've set don't appeal to you.

http://teldin.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/rome+fortress.zip

Instructions: click the link, save it somewhere, extract the .zip file, play the dwarfort.exe like usual. It is 6mb in size, there no save included.

It's been only loosely tested by me, but I have yet to find any errors so if you do find any, please post here and I will update the link.

Here is a list of the things changed/removed (spoiler tag if you want to stay surprised):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And some screenshots/examples:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please feel free to comment here if you have questions, comments, flames, or anything at all. I love getting feedback.

-Teldin

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Rome Fortress 2.0 released!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:12 pm »

Wow! I thought it's lost in time. Time to turn on my time machine and enjoy it in a new enviroment :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:32:50 pm »

I love the latin names, personally. They sound pretty awesome, especially if you don't actually know latin.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:50:36 am »

Awesome. Awesome awesome.

One nitpick tho. Gauls were celts.

Ok, two nitpicks. The gallowglass is a bit anachronistic, being from around the 13th century AD.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:28 pm »

Awesome. Awesome awesome.

One nitpick tho. Gauls were celts.

Ok, two nitpicks. The gallowglass is a bit anachronistic, being from around the 13th century AD.

By seperating Gauls and Celts I mostly mean their positions around 100BC; at that time 'Gaul' meant the Celtic barbarian tribes living around western Europe and 'Celt' meant the barbarian tribes living in the British Isles (ie. the Picts and Gaels).

And yes, the gallowglass is a bit anachronistic, but they're basically awesome Scottish warriors and I felt compelled to add them anyway.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:19:47 pm »

I figured as much  ;D

Very minor nitpicks, really of interest only to a celtic history buff like myself.

Keep up the good work! The language conversion alone is fantastic.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:39:22 pm »

Germans: Big, hulking barbarians from the North, the Germans are everything the Romans are not. Uncivilized, uncouth, unintelligent, the germanic tribes are the very definition of barbarism.

How appropriate that we describe the world from a Roman world view.  :p

Carthaginians use the falcata blade

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the falcata was found mostly on the Iberian peninsula.  And AFAIK Carthage didn't spread there.  More creative license as with the gallowglass?

Also, isn't damascus steel anachronistic as well?

That aside, this is awesome.  I enjoyed this in its first incarnation (esp. the additional language), and this one looks even better.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 07:50:13 pm »

Germans: Big, hulking barbarians from the North, the Germans are everything the Romans are not. Uncivilized, uncouth, unintelligent, the germanic tribes are the very definition of barbarism.

How appropriate that we describe the world from a Roman world view.  :p

Carthaginians use the falcata blade

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the falcata was found mostly on the Iberian peninsula.  And AFAIK Carthage didn't spread there.  More creative license as with the gallowglass?

Also, isn't damascus steel anachronistic as well?

That aside, this is awesome.  I enjoyed this in its first incarnation (esp. the additional language), and this one looks even better.

Hah, well yes it is from a typically Roman point of view, I admit. At the time the Germanic people -were- comparatively uncivilized. Joke's on the Romans, though, as I'm sure everyone knows who won out in the end. ;)

Actually, Carthage did spread to Iberia, as well as part of what became southern France (though that colony later claimed independence). Carthage had several territories along the western Mediterranean, such as towns at Carthago Nova, Saguntum, and Gadeira as well as the islands of Corsica and Sardinia closer to the Italian mainland. They also controlled the Straights of Gibraltor, which is of course a very important trade area as it's the gateway to the Mediterranean.

Not only that, but the Carthaginians (who did not have much of an army of their own) relied extensively on Iberian (proto-Spanish) and African mercenaries during their campaigns.

[/history lesson]

Damascus Steel though is, yes, an anachronism, and also completely independent of geography since it was used primarily in the Middle East. But pattern-welded steel is awesome, too.

(If you do want to change the anachronistic stuff it's a quick tweak to get rid of them)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:01:52 pm »

Actually, Carthage did spread to Iberia, as well as part of what became southern France (though that colony later claimed independence). Carthage had several territories...

Shows what I know.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:19:02 am »

Is it mod bas compatible? I am too lazy to patch it in myself...  :P

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 01:26:02 am »

Is it mod bas compatible? I am too lazy to patch it in myself...  :P

No.

It, uh, doesn't need to be patched? It comes with 40c included. All you need to do is modify the ini to your liking. There's nothing to overwrite/install.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 01:30:49 am »

I'm so going to start up a new fort with this...  :o

Edit: Well, I got it all fired up.. and found out that if I try to embark anywhere with a river/brook the game instantly crashes.  ???
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:19:02 am by Lord Dullard »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 08:28:09 am »

Edit: Well, I got it all fired up.. and found out that if I try to embark anywhere with a river/brook the game instantly crashes.  ???

Really, hmm. Might have something to do with the river creatures, I'll fiddle around with it, thanks.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 10:22:05 am »

Pure awesominezz! I love ancient greek/roman history.

Will try this out as soon as I get home.  ;D

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55:56 am »

Really, hmm. Might have something to do with the river creatures, I'll fiddle around with it, thanks.

On further inspection, it seems like the bug has something to do with generating plants on the river biome sections; when I switch back to the default matgloss_plant.txt file, it lets me embark perfectly fine. I'm not sure exactly where the error is; either it's something I added or something I didn't add that's required by the game. I'll do some more tests and see if I can find out what the problem is.
Pages: [1] 2 3