Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rome Fortress 2.0 released!  (Read 13937 times)

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Rome Fortress 2.0 released!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:32 am »

I'm so going to start up a new fort with this...  :o

Edit: Well, I got it all fired up.. and found out that if I try to embark anywhere with a river/brook the game instantly crashes.  ???

Really, hmm. Might have something to do with the river creatures, I'll fiddle around with it, thanks.

On further inspection, it seems like the bug has something to do with generating plants on the river biome sections; when I switch back to the default matgloss_plant.txt file, it lets me embark perfectly fine. I'm not sure exactly where the error is; either it's something I added or something I didn't add that's required by the game. I'll do some more tests and see if I can find out what the problem is.

Too bad Im not done with my item veryfying script.  ;)

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »

Nice work, especially the language. Too bad I don't have time to try it out right now.

Another historical nitpick, though: there was no potato or corn in ancient Europe, those only grew in America at the time. In fact, in Germany, eating of potatoes only caught on in the late 18th century.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 05:04:37 am »

Two thumbs up.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 11:34:47 am »

Chicken eggs?  What are those?  Did you put in some sort of plant that pretends to be an egg?  I personally can't bring myself to do stuff like that, since it gets shoved in with the rest of the plants in the stockpiles.

I toyed with the idea of having chicken as a vermin type critter, because you can do fun things with vermin.  You can still butcher a vermin chicken (I believe.  Purring maggots are apparently butcherable), but you can also set things up so that they're treated like fish.  You can have raw chicken, which is then cleaned and made into edible chicken.

There are a couple problems with vermin chicken though.  For one, every chicken you buy from the embark screen will come in its own cage (which you get for free).  For another, it's a little strange to clean chickens in the fishery.  Chicken of the sea?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 04:33:26 pm »

Okay, this is incredible.  I would play this for the language stuff alone (gigantic Latin nerd).  Too bad there's no real support for inflected languages.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:13 am »

Thanks! I still haven't found the error yet when embarking on rivers, but it's because I haven't had time to errorcheck lately. If you want to fix it, replace matgloss_plant.txt with a default one; you'll get normal plants but it won't crash. Otherwise.. well, don't embark on a river. Hmph.

As for the eggs: they're just an extract for the creature. I don't believe you can actually extract it yet (maybe try at the alchemists or farmer's workshop?).

I may come out with a new version soon with anachronisms and the crash bug fixed, if I can wrangle up some free time. Comments or suggestions welcome!

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 05:13:29 am »

Interesting historical knowledge! Good work on all that. Looks fun :)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:54 am »

Thanks! I still haven't found the error yet when embarking on rivers, but it's because I haven't had time to errorcheck lately. If you want to fix it, replace matgloss_plant.txt with a default one; you'll get normal plants but it won't crash. Otherwise.. well, don't embark on a river. Hmph.

As for the eggs: they're just an extract for the creature. I don't believe you can actually extract it yet (maybe try at the alchemists or farmer's workshop?).

I may come out with a new version soon with anachronisms and the crash bug fixed, if I can wrangle up some free time. Comments or suggestions welcome!

anyone scared of the idea of Extracting eggs from a chicken. :S
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:24 am »

That's just what I was thinking...

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 02:17:53 am »

...Extracting eggs from a chicken is one of the more dwarven things I've heard off.

They are so drunk and impatient that instead of waiting for chickens to lay an egg, they pick one up and 'extract' it. They even have extracting workshops and professional extractors...
Must be funny at breakfast. Imagine, if you will, a fortress where chickens have replaced cats as moving carpet. Urist asks his wife, "would you like an egg for breakfast, dear?" Of course she would, so he bends over, picks up a chicken, quickly pulls an egg out, replaces the chicken and gives his wife his harvest.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:05 pm »

I got my hands into this.

So awesome.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 05:42:31 pm »

By the way, I plan on updating this for the next version when it comes out. Should prove interesting (and hopefully less buggy where the plants are concerned).

Glad you like it!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 06:10:19 pm »

By the way, I plan on updating this for the next version when it comes out. Should prove interesting (and hopefully less buggy where the plants are concerned).

Glad you like it!

Your mod rules.  Now bump my friggin building tokens thread so you can give all your workshops names that end with -arium.  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27173.msg326984#msg326984

I should just start posting those in Modding so people will know what I'm talking about
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:13:44 pm by Footkerchief »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 10:06:23 am »

I got my hands into this.

So awesome.

Sorry that I harp on about them, but I hope you're not talking about the chickens...

Other than that, this mod sounds pretty good.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »

Sorry that I harp on about them, but I hope you're not talking about the chickens...

Other than that, this mod sounds pretty good.

...That was well played.

Pages: 1 [2] 3