Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: wall/floor coating  (Read 1759 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wall/floor coating
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »

i think it would be nice if you could melt gold/silver/platinum and other metals to create a paint like substance that you can put on the walls and floor to make the walls/floor gold/silver/platinum to improve room quality and produce happy thoughts.

urist mcurist has been feeling ecstatic lately
he admired a fine gold coated wall recently.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wall/floor coating
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:34 pm »

I thought you could do this, as anything makable into a block can be used to make a floor/wall.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:18:17 pm »

I think you'd have to create all new walls (thus either reducing the size of the room or making your carve), but you can build floors over existing natural floors out of rocks or blocks, and like the poster above said, you can make metal blocks (besides, construction with blocks makes the constructions "Smooth", as opposed to rocks which make them "rough", on-screen visuals aside)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:20:22 pm »

Yes, but ther's a difference between a gold wall and a gold coated wall.
I think it'd require less resources and in counterpart get worn as time goes by.

It could be used as a temporary solution to a noble's exigence or as a way to make a false object. A noble mandates the construction of a platinum boot, but you want to keep your platinum, so you take an iron boot and paint it with platinum.
It'll be considered exactly as platinum as long as the coat doesn't wear.
Otherwise, you could use it to raise the baron's room (he had an accident) to the king's expectations while the royal bedroom is getting dug.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »

It is easy to meet royal expectations for a room.  Mine a 5x5 room, floor/smooth/engrave the floors.  Then build a support in the middle out of obsidian or a metal bar.  Use an exceptional or master piece mechanism to make a lever in the room.  Link the lever to the support 10 times with exceptional or masterpiece mechanisms (you have to define all 10 linkages before the first is completed).

By using higher value materials like platinum for the flooring you can even hit royal with the overlap of tomb, bedroom, dining hall, and office in a 20 tile room.  You might have to repack the support lever (unbuild the support, build the support, link again) a few times to do it though.  I think the smallest room that can meet the kings demands is 12 tiles, because of furniture.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:53:32 pm »

Note: Plating something made with a less-then-precious material with a precious metal is called Guilding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilding

Sounds like something dwarves would do.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:00:44 pm »

Several threads have advocated the implementation of plating and guilding.  Seems to be a popular idea these days.  Me, I just want built walls I can engrave on.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:07:41 pm »

I'm all for it, maybe it could be counted as a liquid of sorts? I'd love to drown dwarves in gold ;)

Several threads have advocated the implementation of plating and guilding.  Seems to be a popular idea these days.  Me, I just want built walls I can engrave on.

Agreed, that is a MUST.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »

Chemical gilding is too high tech for the games time frame, only metal leaf gilding would be appropriate.

This sounds a bit like a replacement for studding but has the advantage of possibly being applied to a wider variety of objects (statues, furniture) and allowing more instances of decoration from a single bar of metal.  First one would order "make X leaf" X being gold, silver or platinum (maybe some other metals too) and this produces a stack of 10 or more 'X leaf' thus allowing X items to be gilded.  Gold being the most malleable metal produces more leaf.

As for the use of floor and wall coverings I'd like to see an all encompassing decoration of surfaces both floor and wall using units of 'panel' which can be made out of just about anything stone/metal/wood/gems, panels are not structural though, you can order floors made of panels only for a surface (flat surfaces only) to be covered with the panels to decorate them, the panels can be removed and preserved for re-use.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:25:23 pm »

Either that, or allow constructed walls and floors to be engraved. Thus, you could build a room out of platinum blocks, then engrave the platinum with masterwork engravings.

I'm thinking simply allowing constructed walls and floors to be engraved would be an easier step than adding in a new wall-coating mechanism, as those constructions are already in the game and they can even be carved with fortifications, but not with engravings. I'm guessing it would thus be a rather simple change to add in engravings to constructions. Probably just flagging engraving to be usable on constructions, just like carving fortifications are.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:27:42 pm by Hyndis »

Zakastra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:24:56 pm »

Considering that you can hack constructed walls to be designated for engraving, that will then be engraved and function perfectly thereon, it seems compeletely feasible, and I would imagine easy to code in.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 08:50:28 am »

Note: Plating something made with a less-then-precious material with a precious metal is called Guilding.

Or studding, depending on how liberal you'll let the vocabulary be.  (I believe dwarves can smell the difference between gold and gold plated, s'all I'm sayin')

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:28:36 pm »

What about... MONOGRAMMING! you know, for glass objects, like a more extravagant engraving.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 05:31:44 pm »

Ooo, I like the idea, but for different reasons.  Monogramming has nothing to do with glass (which is engraved using acid - a fluid that doesn't exist in DF) - it's a method of caligraphy wherein you turn a set of two or more letters (usually initials) into a single symbol.

Perhaps engravers could utilize the crafts workshop to monogram objects owned by specific dwarves after the economy is initiated?  That could help beef up the theft system too. Then ownership attributes could be prioritized by personal as well as monetary value.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:33:54 pm by Grand_Marquis »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 07:23:58 pm »

I reiterate my suggestion for engraving constructed walls and floors. Probably the easiest and most straightforward way to make fancy walls and floors out of specific substances. ;D

Also, engraving items would be interesting. Perhaps add a new task at the mason's workshop (since that's where hammers and chisels are probably stored) where stone detailers can pick up items made of hard substances (metal, rock, bone, glass, wood, but not cloth) and then carve engravings into them, sort of like adding a decoration directly into the object rather than adding the decoration to another material stuck onto the object.

Or, perhaps allow us to decorate items with stone. A lot of imported items can be decorated with stone but there is no option for dwarves to decorate their own items. As an added bonus, it could help remove those massive piles of stone produced by digging out a large fort.
Pages: [1] 2