Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge - Mad Wizard's Arena  (Read 26192 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Roll to Dodge - Mad Wizard's Arena
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:59 pm »

Yes, it's another Roll To Dodge. considering how speed downgrades quality and vice versa, the high quality games are rather slow. I don't think it's that bad, really.

But to recap the rules:
The game is based upon randomness. You post one action, and one only. Silliness is often encouraged, although not quite as much in this thread as the others. When all players have posted their action, I will go over them, and determine their success with a roll of a six-sided dice. Higher numbers are higher grades of success, so let's try an example:

Action
"I pick my nose"

1 - Epic fail. You not only fail, you fail disastrously.
"You ram your finger through your nose and into your brain. You have frontal brain damage(-1 to willpower)."

2 - Failure.
"You accidentally hit your eye instead of your nose."

3 - Sort of success. It's not quite good, but hey, it still works.
"You pick your nose. Some mucus gets stuck on your finger and no matter how hard you shake your hand it won't come off."

4 - Success.
"You pick your nose."

5 - Great success. A very well executed action.
"You expertly pick your nose. It's very clean now."

6 - Overshoot. You went a bit too far.
"You pick your nose with such force that they are now devoid of anything, including those thingies that let you smell stuff."

The goal here, unlike the other RTDs, is to escape, not to be the last man standing. Don't worry, you'll cause plenty of havoc anyway. And if you're the only one alive, the escape is all the sweeter.

This RTD is set in a high fantasy setting, and I will be quite lenient with minor magical powers; making sparks appear at your fingertips doesn't require anything. Hurling fireballs might require you to spend a turn meditating on fire, or finding some magical artifact. Really powerful stuff like setting everyone in a hundred meter radius on fire will require artifacts and meditation both, probably with a 5 for the full specified effect.

Anyway, I think that's all. On with the game:

You wake up, drowsy, stark naked and with a mild hangover. You are located in some sort of room along with fourteen other groaning bodies, all in a similar condition to you. As you get up, you notice six things about this room:

1: It's a hemisphere made out of smooth rock.
2: Torches line the wall.
3: Right in front of you is a massive steel gate.
4: Diagonally to the right from you is a pile of armor and weapons. They look light and sharp, if somewhat frail.
5: Diagonally left is another pile of armor and weapons. They look heavy and durable.
6: The floor is made of cobblestones. Each of them has a red three painted on them.

I'll let you pick some armor and a weapon as a single action, so long as it's from the same pile, and wield them as another single action. They still have separate rolls

Gentlemen. Let the rolling begin.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:34:49 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge - Mad Wizard's Arena
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:04:31 pm »

I pick up a heavy sword and some heavy armour.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:07:31 pm »

I twitch a little upon looking about this strange new place, wonder what I had been drinking last night and then get up, crack my knuckles and go over to the pile of light equipment. I then, of course, grab some weaponry and armor.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:11:49 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:08:22 pm »

Oh yeah, and I should probably limit the number of players.

15. If I do not reach that number before 00:00, 28th August, I will also begin the game, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:14:36 pm »

Think I could join? :o
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:15:56 pm »

I go over to the durable armour and pick it up.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:19:35 pm »

I crawl over to the pile of heavy and durable stuff and grab some armor and weapons.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 06:21:49 pm »

Yes Mulch, you can join. No restrictions besides the player limit.

List:
sjmarshy
Xotes
lambskin
Devath
PTTG
Zako
Mulch Diggums

EDIT: Also, everyone is being very hasty, don't you think? Don't worry, the piles aren't trapped or anything. It's just that this place is designed to benefit those who are cautious.

EDIT2: To be honest, I wouldn't kick you out, really. I'd just increase the player limit to 16. I can do that, you know.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:35:39 pm by Boksi »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »

I would like to take seat number 15; If you run out of space, feel free to kick me (out of the game).
I attempt to collect some light armor; I don't risk trying my luck with a pointy thing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:57 pm »

Also, you might wanna edit the opening post room description. It won't really make any sense once we get past 10 people.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:32:30 pm »

Can I join? Im in the mood for random.

I pick up some durable armor and a weapon that I know how to use. From the same pile of course.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 06:34:09 pm »

Alright well I join. I sit down and try to atain matrix like reflex and agility by meditating
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:37:35 pm by Mulch Diggums »
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 06:38:26 pm »

Hasty pasty... I'll be cautious later.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:41:03 pm »

Hmm. Just what level of power do we have right now? As in, does an action "I use powers of divination to locate and obtain a Psi-Controller's Combat Interface Suit" auto-fail for reasons other than the target item being unknown to the general public?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:44:36 pm »

Yes. That, and it sounds sci-fi-ish, not high fantasy(though I could be mistaken).

You can spend a turn attempting to obtain powers of divination though, which would allow you to search for powerful items; either as spells(meaning you don't pick the item in question up), or as a natural bonus.

EDIT: Possession rules:
Ghost can possess things. They can possess inanimate objects, but only provided they could move them when they were alive; they sort of are moving them when possessing those things. This requires a possession roll. When possessing living beings, it's a different matter. You need to succeed on a possession roll like every other possession, but you have a -1 penalty unless you're especially prepared. If the creature is intelligent enough to resist, they may do so. Every turn. To regain control for a turn, you need a success. This is a free action. If you have control, you may attempt to evict the other spirit; this is not a free action, and is only taken after the other spirit's regain control roll. It cannot be done if you've just regained control, but in the turn after that. Ghosts can also possess a bodypart. This means a -1 penalty but not resistance each turn unless the victim purposefully tries to resist the ghost, which isn't a free action.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:04:27 pm by Boksi »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11