Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Baby factory  (Read 1236 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
[40c] Baby factory
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:08:36 pm »

My baroness has a baby. Ok, fine.

Then, 3 months later, she has another one. Uh?

I'm no biologist, but..

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Baby factory
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:18:34 pm »

Dwarves don't give live birth, they lay eggs. These eggs are then incubated in the beard for several months until it hatches and the baby falls out (thus causing the parent to seek out the infant). It is possible to have several eggs in various phases of gestation incubating within the beard.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:22:35 pm »

I opened this thread thinking it would be a complaint against the extremely horny soldiers.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:24:02 pm »

Make love and war?
What are the rules for gestation in D.F. anyway? I think marriage is a prerequisite, which is sweet.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:31:18 pm »

It was my impression that dwarves who are "lovers" can have babies. I could be wrong, though.

Also, Fleeb is completely correct in everything he says.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:21:48 pm »

Dwarven pregnancies are set to last three seasons right now, though it should really come out to the raws.  Maybe this is an issue with actions happening during pause, but I don't think that particular bug was hitting the health update, so I'm not sure what's going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:13:28 am »

I don't know how you coded it, but I usually have one or more dwarfettes in my fort that
(seem to) have a baby once a season. If the timer is 3 months, is it possible there is some spot where the set pregnant = 0 can be skipped?

I wish I still had the save, but I had one dwarfette that had a kid maybe 9-10 months after I magma'ed her husband. Assumed the delay was gestattion, but again, if it is 3 months, he wasn't the daddy. Wonder if he was one of the "child moods"....

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:17 am »

I don't know how you coded it, but I usually have one or more dwarfettes in my fort that
(seem to) have a baby once a season. If the timer is 3 months, is it possible there is some spot where the set pregnant = 0 can be skipped?

I wish I still had the save, but I had one dwarfette that had a kid maybe 9-10 months after I magma'ed her husband. Assumed the delay was gestattion, but again, if it is 3 months, he wasn't the daddy. Wonder if he was one of the "child moods"....

Post-Mortem necrophilia?

The spore still in the air?

Or just , ehm, another father?

Which one?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 04:09:34 pm »

Post-Mortem necrophilia?
If he's in magma, uh...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:27:57 am »

Hot lovin' in the fort tonight! Actually magma might have something to do with it, since upon inspection the smith crowd seems to produce 2/3rds of my children. They tend to be pretty well off financially. Is there some component to the birth cycle that checks finances?

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:04:07 am »

Quick, nominate her for vice-president!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »

Quick, nominate her for vice-president!

Oddly enough my fortresses like to nominate female dwarves carrying babies to be mayor. Once the kid grows up, they nominate a different mother.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.