Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fungus sapiens  (Read 2031 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Fungus sapiens
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 04:27:13 pm »

Yes, but it doesn't mean that they are alcohol-dependent. Thus they can live with normal water.
The idea here is to allow them to brew, not to make them alcohol dependent.
i see i just don't see logic in it ... anyway i think you suppose it for game facility (it is sometimes easyer then getting water) but i think it is just becouse brewing now don't need water ... so i would still think alcohol is not for mashrooms ... but if you have other arguments why they would be able to drink it try to convience me ;) i'll consider your point of view  ... just don't see the logic in it jet. ..

The liquid in 'drinks' comes from the plants. Especially juicy plants like berries and plump helmets. Therefore it's not making water from nothing, it's merely making ue of the water that is already in the plants.
sounds logic... maybe gathering and brewing let them this aspect ... just the farming bart is what i don't see logic for them ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 11:27:37 pm »

sounds logic... maybe gathering and brewing let them this aspect ... just the farming bart is what i don't see logic for them ...

Then don't let them farm.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:15:37 pm »

ok i am thinking of a new creature/entitie for adventure and fortress mode:
a fungus based race wich:
-are living in caves
-don't eat but need to drink much
-so they can't farm, hunt, butcher, fish, gather
-use wood wepons and low class metals (if it is possible to let them use copper and bronz but no iron, steel, and company, they woudn't be able to stand the heat needed to work on more heat dependant(i will check in raws and put a limit))
-they have a really short live spawn with many kids and short childhood
-they prefer sites with many water or caves: montain, marsh, swamp forest but no desert ...
edit: -and yes an other thing i prefer them to not have many organes (like heart, thoung and soo on) just some that a fungus based creature can have if it were inteligent:
eyes ok arms ok legs ok but i don't see them have heart, ot mouth or ears ...

so wath do you think will this be possible, and how?

The thing is...  Fungi are decomposers, not producers.  They don't photosynthesize, and instead draw nutrients from things that are either alive or dead around them.  They should be allowed to farm, ranch, and hunt.  Also, they're natural attacks should make use of [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:XX:100] to emphasize the way they feed.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 08:32:04 pm »

ok i am thinking of a new creature/entitie for adventure and fortress mode:
a fungus based race wich:
-are living in caves
-don't eat but need to drink much
-so they can't farm, hunt, butcher, fish, gather
-use wood wepons and low class metals (if it is possible to let them use copper and bronz but no iron, steel, and company, they woudn't be able to stand the heat needed to work on more heat dependant(i will check in raws and put a limit))
-they have a really short live spawn with many kids and short childhood
-they prefer sites with many water or caves: montain, marsh, swamp forest but no desert ...
edit: -and yes an other thing i prefer them to not have many organes (like heart, thoung and soo on) just some that a fungus based creature can have if it were inteligent:
eyes ok arms ok legs ok but i don't see them have heart, ot mouth or ears ...

so wath do you think will this be possible, and how?

The thing is...  Fungi are decomposers, not producers.  They don't photosynthesize, and instead draw nutrients from things that are either alive or dead around them.  They should be allowed to farm, ranch, and hunt.  Also, they're natural attacks should make use of [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:XX:100] to emphasize the way they feed.
Agreed except for the suck blood thing. Yes they do feed off of other things, but not fast enough to do so in combat.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 08:46:53 pm »

I was aware of that, but this is a fantasy game.  The restrictions of science are supposed to be a bit loose.
Pages: 1 [2]