Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fungus sapiens  (Read 2034 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Fungus sapiens
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:12:49 am »

ok i am thinking of a new creature/entitie for adventure and fortress mode:
a fungus based race wich:
-are living in caves
-don't eat but need to drink much
-so they can't farm, hunt, butcher, fish, gather
-use wood wepons and low class metals (if it is possible to let them use copper and bronz but no iron, steel, and company, they woudn't be able to stand the heat needed to work on more heat dependant(i will check in raws and put a limit))
-they have a really short live spawn with many kids and short childhood
-they prefer sites with many water or caves: montain, marsh, swamp forest but no desert ...
edit: -and yes an other thing i prefer them to not have many organes (like heart, thoung and soo on) just some that a fungus based creature can have if it were inteligent:
eyes ok arms ok legs ok but i don't see them have heart, ot mouth or ears ...

so wath do you think will this be possible, and how?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:16:14 am by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fungus sapiens
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:13 am »

-are living in caves
BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM
don't eat but need to drink much
[NO_EAT]
so they can't farm, hunt, butcher, fish, gather
remove those professions from their entity
use wood wepons and low class metals (if it is possible to let them use copper and bronz but no iron, steel, and company, they woudn't be able to stand the heat needed to work on more heat dependant(i will check in raws and put a limit))
[WOOD_PREF]
[MINOR_METAL]
they have a really short live spawn with many kids and short childhood
MAXAGE
Remove [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
they prefer sites with many water or caves: montain, marsh, swamp forest but no desert
BIOME settings
-and yes an other thing i prefer them to not have many organes (like heart, thoung and soo on) just some that a fungus based creature can have if it were inteligent:
eyes ok arms ok legs ok but i don't see them have heart, ot mouth or ears ...
Why not =). Check the myconids from my Faerun mod or others'.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:27:09 am »

thank for helping, wir [MINOR_METAL] forbid them to use better metals even if they find some?
and can they make playable civilisation if they have BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM
is it possible to not have them clothes and don't let them survive in too hot and too cold climates?(or even bether not let them survive too much outside in those climates)
the best would be if i could plant Fungus seeds and let them grow but i am sure it is not jet possible with raws ... until then i wont put nogender on them, it wont let them breed and something fungus based should "breed" much
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:36:33 am by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:10:01 pm »

Definitely allow them to farm still, that way they can brew drinks. Make it so the only things they can farm are things that can only be brewed.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:22:46 pm »

Definitely allow them to farm still, that way they can brew drinks. Make it so the only things they can farm are things that can only be brewed.
i think it is not needed ... why would they drink alcohol? plants prefer to drink fresh water ... and if there isn't any they will soon die ... i think it is normal for a mashroom based being too
Mohreb el Yasim

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »

i think it is not needed ... why would they drink alcohol? plants prefer to drink fresh water ... and if there isn't any they will soon die ... i think it is normal for a mashroom based being too
I believe there was a myth covered on the show Mythbusters at one time that plants can survive on alcohol..  and it was confirmed.  As in, they can in fact survive on alcohol just fine...
Even if it wasn't covered on Mythbusters, I've still heard plenty of stories about it, all of which affirm the above statement.
Or maybe it only works on certain types of plants..  Whatever the case, unless these are an exceedingly rare species, which I doubt if they're sapient, they'd be able to survive with alcohol.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:48:37 pm »

Just to clarify Fungus =/= Plant. (Fungus doesn't equal Plant)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:48:52 am »

I believe there was a myth covered on the show Mythbusters at one time that plants can survive on alcohol..  and it was confirmed.  As in, they can in fact survive on alcohol just fine...
Even if it wasn't covered on Mythbusters, I've still heard plenty of stories about it, all of which affirm the above statement.
Or maybe it only works on certain types of plants..  Whatever the case, unless these are an exceedingly rare species, which I doubt if they're sapient, they'd be able to survive with alcohol.
Yes, but it doesn't mean that they are alcohol-dependent. Thus they can live with normal water.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:51:03 am »

fungus is something mashroom like i belive ... i migth be wrong how ever ... and for the alcohol part ... i don't want them grow becouse i want them to need water ... so they cant go to desert or in some dry regions ... it is for the hardness :D
edit:
wath is the difference between cave and cave detailed?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:34:36 am by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:33 pm »

Cave is like kobold caves. Cave_detailed is mountain hall.

And yes, fungi aren't plants, they're a quite different species. And mushrooms are fungus, even though the mod I'm working on has fungus as a subtype to mushrooms, although that's just the naming convention.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:23:28 pm »

Yes, but it doesn't mean that they are alcohol-dependent. Thus they can live with normal water.
The idea here is to allow them to brew, not to make them alcohol dependent.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:16:52 pm »

i see i just don't see logic in it ... anyway i think you suppose it for game facility (it is sometimes easyer then getting water) but i think it is just becouse brewing now don't need water ... so i would still think alcohol is not for mashrooms ... but if you have other arguments why they would be able to drink it try to convience me ;) i'll consider your point of view  ... just don't see the logic in it jet. ..
Mohreb el Yasim

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 04:19:09 pm »

i see i just don't see logic in it ... anyway i think you suppose it for game facility (it is sometimes easyer then getting water) but i think it is just becouse brewing now don't need water ... so i would still think alcohol is not for mashrooms ... but if you have other arguments why they would be able to drink it try to convience me ;) i'll consider your point of view  ... just don't see the logic in it jet. ..

The liquid in 'drinks' comes from the plants. Especially juicy plants like berries and plump helmets. Therefore it's not making water from nothing, it's merely making ue of the water that is already in the plants.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:22:02 pm »

Call them Fungusites, or pull an Incursion and call them Myconids.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 04:22:28 pm »

Think of it this way, if they're brewing alcohol they're killing plants, so they're killing their distant cousins. It's all about perspective

Please don't take offense to the picture, I'm looking at a bunch of "Motivational posters" on photobucket and that one seemed to fit, with a little humor.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.
Pages: [1] 2