Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sasquatch - Dabbling Negotiator  (Read 1342 times)

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sasquatch - Dabbling Negotiator
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:21:05 am »

So I captured a few Sasquatches(Sasquatch? Sasqui?) and decided that I needed to tame and train them. So I added the appropriate tags to the object file. I then decided that my new door guards should get some credit for the hoards of kobolds they were slaying and added the can_learn tag to their file.

My setup is two chains next to each other, with a Sasquatch assigned to each. It would appear now that they are talking to each other, as each one has the typical massive list of social skills.

Is this a bug or are animals intended to communicate with each other(and gain the appropriate skills)?
Im really hoping its the latter as that's just the sort of obscure hidden little feature that I associate with DF.

Either way, just something neat I thought I'd share.  ;D

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Sasquatch - Dabbling Negotiator
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:24:56 am »

I doubt it's intended, since it didn't start until you added [can_learn].

Still, that's pretty darn awesome.. if I were you I'd totally breed a race of proto-sentient guards for my fortress.

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:32:25 am »

That happens to completely be my goal. I have since gone on a spree of adding pet, trainable & can_learn to any animal I encounter.  I'm totally addicted to capturing stuff.

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:02:18 am »

On my first fort there was a lone yeti out in the wilderness. By setting up a bunch of random cages where it walked, I caught it. Then.. another came. Got her too. Yes, they were both females. I had them both in the same cage; and before I knew it they were reproducing... the only thing I edited in the raws was to make it so I could turn them into War Yeti. Perhaps it was a bug... but I had 10 of them by the time I quit my fort... maybe youll get lucky =p

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:28 am »

On my first fort there was a lone yeti out in the wilderness. By setting up a bunch of random cages where it walked, I caught it. Then.. another came. Got her too. Yes, they were both females. I had them both in the same cage; and before I knew it they were reproducing... the only thing I edited in the raws was to make it so I could turn them into War Yeti. Perhaps it was a bug... but I had 10 of them by the time I quit my fort... maybe youll get lucky =p

Not necessarily. Animals in DF reproduce without actually coming into physical contact with one another. As long as there are both a male and female specimen somewhere on the map at the same time they can reproduce 'by spore'. So odds are a male yeti wandered through your map at some point and you just never noticed.

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:55 am »

Some lame kobold thief shanked one of my Sasquatch on his way out. If only I get could my trained animals to spar.  ;D

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:54:19 am »

You could always dump one into a pit, and toss in all the easy-to-kill prey that you catch, for it to practice on.  Add a little water and you might get yourself a legendary swimmer sasquatch with high combat skills.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:26:47 am »

You could always dump one into a pit, and toss in all the easy-to-kill prey that you catch, for it to practice on.  Add a little water and you might get yourself a legendary swimmer sasquatch with high combat skills.

I just drowned my sasquatch.
Dwarves: Death from Below!