Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Construction! BIG!  (Read 4037 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Construction! BIG!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 03:27:09 pm »

In my current fortress, I'm trying to dig out a rediculously large chamber beneath the surface and then build a castle inside it. Sadly, I keep running into setbacks (forest fires, beserk dwarves, idiots who remove a 6-story bridge while they're standing on it, and a caravan suddenly exploding killing both my broker and the liason, to name a few) and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if giant cave spiders began to roam the plains in the next year or so.

I'm also at war with the elves, which will be a problem for a while, but will lead to some amazingly epic battles if I ever finish.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 03:38:52 pm »

I'm going to have to demand that you finish that dragon.

It's just too epic not to.

I can't; like I said, I didn't port it across to the new version, and I delete all my old versions. That being said, once my current fort gets established, I'll be doing a green glass version, though probably with water instead of magma. Sorting out the mechanics so I didn't set the axles on fire was a serious hassle, especially in the tail.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »

Sorting out the mechanics so I didn't set the axles on fire was a serious hassle, especially in the tail.

Power the pumps from below:

Code: [Select]

PP
G#MMMMMMMM
A#MMMMMMMM

Or, if the magma is being annoying:

PP
AG#MMMM
MMMMMMM
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 04:31:02 pm »

As long as you build one eventually I'm happy. :D

And have you considered using bauxite gear assemblies instead of axles? You'll take a hit in power consumption, but you can put them just about anywhere you want to.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 04:47:13 pm »

I was trading for my bauxite unfortunately. I barely had enough to make the screw pumps and floodgate controls.

Incidentally, I did find out one useful thing; when you designate something to be connected to a lever, the first mechanism goes in the object, the second in the lever. That discovery saved me a lot of bauxite by the end of it.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 04:50:06 pm »

You know, I kinda knew that but had never really THOUGHT about it before. Nice to know!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 06:52:49 pm »

My greatest construction WILL be my newest fortress: The Ageless Cavern of Brothers.

Built entirely underground, the ACoB will be 10 z-levels deep, with HUGE pillars for "Support" (I don't know if they will be needed) and I guesstimate that it will take about 8 years at least to build.

Pictures and such will be up later, if you guys would be curious.
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 06:57:21 pm »

I'm building a replica of the london opera house, a cathedral, an observatory, a castle, an aqueduct, a university, a bath house, some ziggurats, a colloseum, a wall around a 3x3 map, a zoo, a handfull of temples, a forum building, and a bunch of catacombs. This will be linked to the underground segment of the fort which I will rewall here and there as redone basements. I'm also going to have a big demonic idol-head thing built over the magma in the HFS as a forge, and a temple in the lower levels of the HFS too.

I should be done by christmas, since I'm using ordinary dwarves and no cheats.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Those are all awesome (especially the dragon) and my new endevor is a castle built on the ocean with an underwater as well. then I will shut it off from the surface and live for however long I can. you can farm off muddy floor tiles even when they are built right?

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »

Some ancient town ruins, complete with ruined houses, roads, and temples. It was also going to have an underground
maze, but I abandoned before it was completed.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »

I was trading for my bauxite unfortunately. I barely had enough to make the screw pumps and floodgate controls.

Incidentally, I did find out one useful thing; when you designate something to be connected to a lever, the first mechanism goes in the object, the second in the lever. That discovery saved me a lot of bauxite by the end of it.

You don't need bauxite in screw pumps, right?
I just have ones with iron corkscrews and they seem to work (although maybeyou need bauxite in a stacked design? Dunno)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 07:32:04 pm »

The best construction I made was either an oceanic fort (pumpoed 1 z-level down to the seafloor) or a firewall. It was exactly what it sounds like, a wall of recirculating lava-falls. And I did it with no bauxite. I'm not sure how practical it was since the actual defensive advantage was the magma "relief valve" over the path to my main entance.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 09:22:14 pm »

My best so far is just a large circular 13 z-level tower made of ice on a glacier. I wanted to make an entire ice keep, but i got lagged to kingdom come. I think i'll try it again and smash-drop as many immigrants as i can. I guess i should go with smaller than full size for the map and go for an aquifer instead of an ocean for unlimited water/ice (though that would make the beginning much harder and mean i'd need to make an ugly quarry entrance to get any stone).

But what can i say, it's just really cool to have a sudden ice keep sticking out of a vast flat expanse of ice. Near the sea is cool too, and might actually have walruses.

Had a bunch of fun tossing soapmakers off the side of the tower though.  :P

*SPLAT*

I'd do the same with gobbos, but i have dreams of making my own Gobbitorium.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:24:01 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 10:02:59 pm »

Saraminod Iger, "The Great Gate of Rivers"

My starting location was a river flowing through this narrow canyon between two mountains.  So, I figured for my project, I'd disfigure the local Grand Canyon by building a massive dam in it to provide hydromechanical power for all my mad science needs.
Then I hit upon another idea.  Inspired by tales of someone's Dwarven superhighway project, and tales of massive world travel in later versions; Locks.
When boats are finally included in the game, they will have to pay tolls to me.

So far I've managed to lay down a basic dam, but I'm running into problems.  How do I get the water to rise up to at least the top of the dam?  I know it doesn't yet go over, but right now it's just like having the river stop dead, not even filling my dam?
I've got an idea or two and suggestions are welcome.
I'm either going to try some channeling, which may only do a z level or two at the cost of much labor, or I'm going to put some pumps, run by the river, to fill up the resevoir.

Unfortunately for me, it seems I've ended up in some Dwarf Fortress bastardization of Nam and Panama.  Hot and wet mountain pass/river area, with two major forests.  Thank Armok there aren't any diseases yet.
Though so far I've only gotten one siege (~15 gobbos), I've gotten more ambushes.  No major assaults, but it seems I constantly get sniped by the gobbos.  Some dwarf'll be walking through the woods on his task, when, zip, Charlie comes out of the trees and shoots him down.  And more of my soldiers seem to bleed out than be struck down, too.  Bad for morale.  The weird thing is, the goblins seem pathetically weak so far.  My dwarves, not even the champions, close in, the gobbos die in seconds.
At least I'm the one setting traps.  No punji sticks for me, though; I'm sticking with good old buzzsaws and giant corkscrews.  Though, in the interests of fairness (considering that I'm building them out of glass), I'm not going to blanket the entire map in them.  Just most of the major approaches.  So, I can consider it...Prince of Dwarf Fortress.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 10:10:22 pm »

You'll need to use screw pumps to raise water, but i don't think that would raise boats properly. Anyways, when boats finally make it in game i bet you won't be able to use your fortress anymore.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4