Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Construction! BIG!  (Read 4034 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Construction! BIG!
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:08:49 am »

I want to hear about your best constructions, the ones you are most proud of and plain amazing structures like the hammer tower in Nist Akath. I also don't mind if you post about less fantastic structures, like waterfalls, but which you are proud of none the less. cause the thing I am most proud of is the waterfall in my main entrance hall (Which is a little pathetic to brag about but in my defense if there is a siege a lever makes the place lock and blocks the water flow thereby killing the invaders)

so yeah.

look forward to hearing from you all

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Construction! BIG!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:17:45 am »

I wont lie... im most proud of my water-wheel powering system last fort. But Im sure everyones first was impressive ;). So my runner-up would have been my gobbitorium for that same base. It had a river, well, waterfall that worked by way of a pressure plate, and of course, a volcanoe. It also had a statue for every element for the goblins to worship (I was waiting to see if they would breed). It was 3 z-levels total with a nice cave with rooms + beds for them to sleep in. However, the only things I learned were that they never slept, and they NEVER climbed to the 3rd z-level to the top of the volcanoe. And I would swear that when I turned the well into a meeting room that there would be more goblins in the area... may have been my imagination.

I was also quite proud of my arena in that fort. It was quite small... just large enough for 4 competitors, but it was over a volcanoe (the only way to do it). It didnt take too long, but I just thought it was perfect for the fact that one berserk dwarf lept from his start, and tackled a troglodyte in midair into the spectator booth (made of glass)... splattering blood all over it before they fell into the lava.

Other than that.. all ive really had is the average draw-bridge to drop goblins to a pit of magma or spikes or a collapsing entrance hall.

-This was basically a bump because Im curiouse of others' constructions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:12:50 am »

na not a bump. not wanting to ass kiss but the collapsing cavern and a arena over a volcano sounds awesome! and i would love if you made the floor of the arena out of glass

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:16:13 am »

probably my lava hoses, i had to do a lot of digging, and crying, and burying dead dwarves, BUT i finally managed to set up the screw pumps that would shoot lava to the area around my main entrance!
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:19:39 am »

Lava hoses sounds like a good idea, so long as dwarves don't get in the way. I might take that up. Honestly, my greatest construction pales in comparison to others I've read about and seen on here, but it was my first so I'm still proud. It was a simple waterfall over the main dining hall with a pump system to replenish which went up four floors. I'm currently trying to build a multi story dining room with carvings on columns and walls.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

yea I love waterfalls. lovely mist. ahhhhh. but mud. lots. of. mud.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 07:00:20 am »

A white marble block dragon (ranging across 9 z-levels from the tail to the wing tips), with orthoclase claws, that wrapped around my circular lava lake. It's tail, resting in the lava, contained screw pumps which drew the lava up through it's body to dump out it's mouth over my entrance (if I opened the floodgates).

I got it 3/4 complete, then Toady released the 39 series, and I didn't port it across.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:49 am »

A white marble block dragon (ranging across 9 z-levels from the tail to the wing tips), with orthoclase claws, that wrapped around my circular lava lake. It's tail, resting in the lava, contained screw pumps which drew the lava up through it's body to dump out it's mouth over my entrance (if I opened the floodgates).

I got it 3/4 complete, then Toady released the 39 series, and I didn't port it across.

:o

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:49:11 am »

my dwarf hotel,its on a hill/mountain,entrance undeground,10 storys high(still building),full microline,4 native aluminium statues on the bottom level,room for every dwarf,im planning a inside waterfall that falls from the top(to the bottom through holes that ive greated) and the an outisde waterfall that will fall from the roof to all the directions.its a big and tall tower thats still in build and since i have soo many microlinbe and i love its color the whole thing will be from micoline.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:14 am »

My greatest construction was a 3 story colonial style mansion made of wood.
It ended up surrounded by trees and spider webs.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:43:31 am »

Six z-level tall dwarven colossus.  You know? Like the one at Rhodes.  It's arms pump out water that is stored in the head, filling the moat around my fort, but in case of a siege, the mouth is 4 floodgates linked to a lever.  Washes any gobbos away from my front gate easily. :d  my current fort, Twilighttorch, is going to have a fortress on the water, with underwater barracks/storage, connecting to the fortress proper on the clifface on the other side of the freshwater sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^
~~~~~~FFFF~~~~~^^^
======FFFFF=======^^^
~~~~~~FFFF~~~~~^^^
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^

I'm still working on if I should make the road underwater, and if I should have a support colom going to the ocean floor for the floating fortress. 
...It's a work in progress. :d
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:00:27 pm »

I'm going to have to demand that you finish that dragon.

It's just too epic not to.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 02:25:49 pm »

I had been planning a mighty construction, but it ain't gonna get built now.

I started off small, with a series of pipes going down many z-levels - the first pipe 2 z-levels, the next 3 z-levels, and so on, up to 10 z-levels.
The top of each pipe was assigned as a pit, and various creatures were thrown in, to take note of what happened.  The results were quite surprising - some creatures (even kittens!) were able to survive a full 10 z-level drop, with varying degrees of injury.  Anyway, lots of goblins and pipes, so it was a small goblin organ... (do feel free to drop out now, you know where it's going)

So I made a big goblin organ, going down 12, 14 and 15 z-levels.  Chucked a load of goblins and animals down... but sadly, so far everything has disintegrated on the smallest pipe.  Quite disappointing, I'd rather wanted to have an excuse to create an enormous goblin organ... it would have had to extend proudly into the sky in front of the fort, to get the required height...   ::)

I might do it anyway, but without the scientific rationale it'd feel kinda tacky.   ;D
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »

Wow, I may have to try something like that dragon someday. That sounds just...amazing.

My best construction so far is a giant bridge that spans a valley. I haven't quite finished it, but it's got over 1000 gabbro blocks in it. Eventually it'll have waterfalls coming out of the gate towers on one end.

It's kind of in limbo right now, though, since that map was for an earlier version of my mod that doesn't work anymore. I'll have to make a new folder just for that save. Which I am planning to do, especially now that I can do mass construction designation. That should speed things up quite a bit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 03:14:54 pm »

It's not finished yet (I've just started a fortress), but I'm designing a circular arena. It can be made into four separate arenas or a maze with the flick of just a couple of switches. It can be flooded, partially or completely. It will be trapped with pressure plates randomly connected to spikes, grates, floodgates, hatch covers...

Since the arena alone would be quite lame, I'm also planning on making a 15-high, 15-wide, 5-deep entrance arch. It'll be flanked by the greatest walls of my fortress: a two-wide wall, except for on the places where the heroes who have fallen defending the fortress from various foes. Then there is the two-wide walkway and a last wall. This wall complex will be at least three high. Right next to the wall will be the main barracks building. The only way in will be via the arch and walls. On the ground level, the barracks, z+1 will house the training grounds, weaponry, armour and food will be stockpiled on z+2. And if I feel like it, I might make a fountain along the entry to the moat, just for the fun of it. The water will be tapped from the river and stored above the barracks.

And then there's the tower. This will most likely be made last, since it's the most work and isn't of such a high importance. A sky-high tower, all the way to the highest z-level possible. If it can be done, I'll try to make it completely out of the whitest of marble. Just like all other buildings outside. I have no use for them yet. But most likely I'll have a massive siege worker training operation on at least one floor.

Last, but certainly not least, there is the complex of tactically placed towers outside of the fort. Every tower is accessible by an underground passage linking the towers, the barracks and the fortress. The details will be worked out as I go.

But first things first. The arena. Or at least the general outline has to be done before I start with any other project.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4