Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: thirsty dwarves wont obey may orders  (Read 1302 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
thirsty dwarves wont obey may orders
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:24:33 pm »

hi there, i play in a desert with a brook, i now startet to construct a nice wall around my central tower (with the entrance into the mines). there is also a tile of the brook inside the wall and i made a drink and fishing area. also i restricted the rest of the brook outside the walls and i made onlydrink from zones... but still half of the dwarfs run outside all the time and get smashed by goblin ambushs and stuff :( and there is lot of space inside to drink.

oddly there seems to be two spots there they like to drink one in the northwest and one in the south, but i cearly not made them a drinking zone.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: thirsty dwarves wont obey may orders
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:54:25 pm »

dig a channel, need blocks, a bucket and a chain or a rope, make a well over the water filled channel, dwarves will flock to the well

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:19:42 pm »

in winter the channel gets outside frozen (or inside a building) and the well is deconstructed :>

and i am still on designing my sewer system to make my meeting hall wells :>

but still... whats the need of zone drinking, and "only zone drinking allowed" if the dwarfs spread out all over the brook, just to ignore the tiles inside :>

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

HisMajestyBOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:39:41 pm »

Sometimes, for some reason, dwarves will run off to drink from water far from your fort, despite wells, booze and designated drinking zones being available, and the rest of the water being restricted. I don't know how to solve this, although I'd love to hear from anyone who has.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:43:47 pm »

Water outside becomes frozen. Water inside stays liquid. Get that water inside and you won't have frozen water problems.

Of course, until you get your dwarves drinking booze again (like all good dwarves should), they will work slower and slower. Poor sober dwarves. :(

I've not had dwarves drinking water when booze was available. HMB, did you have a large surplus of booze? If you had only a few barrels of booze and all barrels were being used at the same time, its possible subsequent dwarves that got thirsty would go to the river for water rather than wait for a booze barrel to become available again. I've not had it happen to me though, and on my current desert map, I don't expect it to either. ;)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:07:27 am »

but still... whats the need of zone drinking, and "only zone drinking allowed" if the dwarfs spread out all over the brook, just to ignore the tiles inside :>

Did you designate the water source zone?  'i', create an area next to the body of water (part of the zone can be over the water, but part must be on land), 'enter', 'w'.

And what other people said about digging some water inside (plumbing projects are fun because they can go terribly, terribly awry), and making booze for your dwarves.  You need a barrel per dwarf that will simultaneously want to drink; there may be 25 booze in that barrel, but only one dwarf can chug from it at a time.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:26:37 am »

hell yes it isproberly designated, yes i know only one dwarf can drink per barrel, yes i know water inside dont freezes...

BUT

i have a brook, most tiles restricted, some tiles marked as drinking zone, and also set to only drink from zones... and still they drink on the brook on the enitre map.

so maybe we got a bug here :p

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:37:07 am »

Have you channeled the brook's surface?

If you break it, the flow is disrupted and the dwarves start treating it as a pool. only the map edges are then considered to be running water. Try building a well

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:52:56 am »

Sometimes, for some reason, dwarves will run off to drink from water far from your fort, despite wells, booze and designated drinking zones being available, and the rest of the water being restricted. I don't know how to solve this, although I'd love to hear from anyone who has.

i build internal water sources, and wall off my entire fort with a bridge i can lower for when traders come. They don't go wandering off outside unless i let them out with a lever then. You could also do the alternative, and make lots of booze, and make sure it's easily accessible (such as having it in an entryway room between your entrance and your living quarters or something).

I also use the "I" zone for my wells, have plenty of buckets nearby, etc. which may or may not be helping keep them drinking from there. Aside from that, maybe they are treating each individual zone as a single dwarf usage only? (as in 2 dwarfs want water, 1 goes to the zone, other doesn't because it thinks it's occupied).

The only time i recall issues with water drinking, was when i accidentally left a door locked without realizing it  :P

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:08:32 am »

Dwarves will happily crawl all over one another to get to just the right spot on the drinking pool, the five empty squares also designated drinking zones be damned, so it's not that there's a line forming (well, maybe at a well... but not an open pool or brook).

Do you have a ramp by your drinking zone?  I often use these in water construction, because they can help prevent drowning by providing an escape route- but dwarves will try to walk out to the part of the water that doesn't have a ramp to drink, resulting in repeated "dwarf cancels drink: unsafe terrain ('I went to get a drink... but there were water there!')" messages, and eventual retreat to the brook.

Is this only happening in winter?  It's possible to get a map with different biomes on which different sections of a brook freeze at different times, or one section doesn't freeze at all.  You'd have probably noticed this, though...

Did you channel out the drinking squares on your brook?  Dwarves don't like pools as much as running water.

Did you restrict your drinking zones?

Did you leave a clear path to your drinking zones?

Are there any of those dastardly raccoons terrorizing your dwarves by the drinking zone?  Dwarves hate raccoons.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:20:52 am »

well then we try it this way :>

the red line is the brook and restricted, the dark blue on it the drinking zone(s) (and NOT restricted)
the dark red line is my surrounding wall, so entrance is on the east side
the blue circle is my pumphouse with digged waterwheels, so the brook is broken here with a "pool", its not in use yet, i still plan the sewer system, mostly digged but still lots of construction to do.

now the dwarfs spread all over the river, the north and the south, as well the tiles in my fort. some run to the brook next to the central tower, some run to the far north west, somt to the south, some to the tiles between the fort and the pump house.

the pump house btw is constukted and only accessible from underground
on the tiles above the brook in the wall and the pumphousewalls i build floodgates with a lever (but still always closed, as some stupid merchants missuse it as entrance :/

so i have restricted areas, have drinking zones, and set only from zone drinking/fishing. and still both ignore all and use every tile from the brook for their needs, independ from the distance (except the few undigged in the pumphouse there i never saw one so far)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:50:20 am »

I built an underground reservoir about 4 levels deep. My map doesn't have freezing problems, it just dries up after a while. The reservoir doesn't :)

Also, if your brook freezes, you could try maybe building a dam? Not sure if that'll solve your water problems, but it'll be fun :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:57 am »

does anyone actually read what i write :>

Xenomath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:58 am »

Yes, I had a very similar problem, with a river not a brook.
The strange thing was that it started of a sudden, the years before they drank happily from the drinking zone at my my channel or the well, or booze.
The fatal thing were the carps...

So yes, I think "zone drinking only" does not work properly and we have a bug here, or at least damn unintuitive behavior.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:15:24 am »

does anyone actually read what i write :>

Better than on most forums.  Which is to say, not really, no.

One thing I will note: restricting the access has no effect on what a dwarf will do, it only affects the path a dwarf will take to get there.  So if your dwarf wants to drink at the northernmost tile of the brook, your dwarf will avoid walking through the brook and will walk next to it instead.