Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Holy sweet mother of z-levels  (Read 3970 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy sweet mother of z-levels
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:34 pm »

I'd love to play with so many Z-levels, except it tends to kill my FPS.

Video card such that I can run Oblivion and CoD4 at ultra-max settings with no stutter, but my somewhat ancient CPU can't handle DF.

Its nano-forts for me. :(

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:18:50 pm »

So remember where that site was?

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 01:39:03 pm »

its at the bottem of the map underneath the two glacier field symbold on the overveiw in the mountians.  There is a circular plain of glacier with a ^ right in the middle, and it is awsome.

Except my dwarfs are all going to die of thirst once the booze runs out.  Guess I should've included the river :(

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 07:17:31 pm »

I'm guessing that it is this place then.

Seems pretty nice, no trees which wouldbe new for me, and difficult to include both magma and river. I also knowticed that you have absolutly no neighbors which means no gobs... hmm that might be a good thing, you still get the dwarf caravan and migrants right? Also whats a good recipy for having very high cliffs, magma, ect ect, basicly what should be a good recipy for a fort with high cliffs and everything?

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 09:45:10 pm »

Beats me, but they are really really high.  So high that they throw everything into confussion as far as my planning went.  But due to the fact that I cant have both water and magma its not a site I can use :( 
(considering that there will be very little fuel even from caravans without magma)

BUt there is sand and there is flux, if only the magma and water were a little closer it'd be astounding.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 10:26:12 pm »

Well as it is its an astounding area, you just have to make sure you keep your booze piles up. The thing is it would be very boring since nothing could attack you besides the chasm baddies which would run out.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 11:11:18 pm »

I agree that your dwarves will go mad without anything to kill, so what you need to do is begin SACRIFICING creatures and dwarves alike to Armok on this pinnacle, and who knows? maybe if you produce enough blood for it to pour down the mountain, He may bless you with something overly awsome...:P
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 12:05:13 am »

Note that the 8x4 area that gets both river and magma is actually less area than the standard 6x6.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:54 am »

Sweet. I didn't know the game allowed for such extremes of geography.

Actually, I finally found a nice starting location the other day, with nice meaning it had uber cool fort location written all over it.

1. Very flat surrounding area, then a couple of massive peaks rising straight up, 20+ Z-levels.
2. Dense forrest
3. A river
4. A magma pit
5. A bottomless pit (for fun!)

Well, basically it was a volcanoe next to a forest and a river. What I really liked was that there was a great near vertical cliff face into which I could then dig, and have lots of up/down, space, and lots of space digging in westwards. THIS, I thought, was the ONE. Time to earn my DF spurs.

Then within 10 seconds of starting my hunter/woodcutter was killed by a Kobold. And also one of his wardogs. Then a minute after that, the remaining wardog went berzerk and threw itself down the bottomless pit. :-(

I guess uber looking places have more in the way of nasty monsters. Also, having your woodcutter double as a hunter can be a gamble! In this case, I lost.

Unfortunately the map was also causing my powerful CPU to chug a bit, and in the end I decided to go somewhere tamer.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 07:14:34 am »

Note that the 8x4 area that gets both river and magma is actually less area than the standard 6x6.

6x6 may be the default but it is hardly standard.  I consider 4x4 to be standard. you can get the magma and HFS in a 5x3 square but 8x4 is excessive esspecaily one you consider the z level variance and the water flow, oh and the magma flow.  It would kill most normal machines.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 08:18:25 am »

Sweet. I didn't know the game allowed for such extremes of geography.

Actually, I finally found a nice starting location the other day, with nice meaning it had uber cool fort location written all over it.

1. Very flat surrounding area, then a couple of massive peaks rising straight up, 20+ Z-levels.
2. Dense forrest
3. A river
4. A magma pit
5. A bottomless pit (for fun!)

Well, basically it was a volcanoe next to a forest and a river. What I really liked was that there was a great near vertical cliff face into which I could then dig, and have lots of up/down, space, and lots of space digging in westwards. THIS, I thought, was the ONE. Time to earn my DF spurs.

Then within 10 seconds of starting my hunter/woodcutter was killed by a Kobold. And also one of his wardogs. Then a minute after that, the remaining wardog went berzerk and threw itself down the bottomless pit. :-(

I guess uber looking places have more in the way of nasty monsters. Also, having your woodcutter double as a hunter can be a gamble! In this case, I lost.

Unfortunately the map was also causing my powerful CPU to chug a bit, and in the end I decided to go somewhere tamer.
You still have that save file?

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 03:03:07 pm »

6x6 may be the default but it is hardly standard.  I consider 4x4 to be standard. you can get the magma and HFS in a 5x3 square but 8x4 is excessive esspecaily one you consider the z level variance and the water flow, oh and the magma flow.  It would kill most normal machines.

I was chugging along at about 25-30 FPS on embark with the all-inclusive area on a 2GHz Core 2 Duo machine that generally maintains 100FPS up to about 30 dwarves or so. I also spawned three-quarters of the way up the mountain and had to abandon because the nearest soil was well over a hundred tiles away--I never could have hauled all my supplies down there and gotten farming and brewing running simultaneously. It was untenable. That, and there were gremlins freaking everywhere.

If anybody else was wondering, yeah, userpay found the right spot.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 04:57:32 pm »

I found this quite nice looking volcano near a beach. The beach itself was either sinister or terrifying, cannot remember which, but promises to be quite interesting place for a Fortress. Currently I am just wondering whether or not to go up one level or just tunnel straight east from where I started.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3481-swordtwisted

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 04:59:44 pm »

I'm looking forward to getting my new computer, I know DF is only single threaded but especially with background tasks my CPU should be well up to it, just ordered it now and it has a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU. Should be fun when I get it.
Pages: 1 [2]