Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fortress Names  (Read 4109 times)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Names
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 12:44:24 am »

I used to just embark without realizing that I could change the name of my fortress.  When I got something like "Burninganus the Muscular Tunnel" it motivated me to learn how to change the names myself.

I also got randomly generated "Battlegreed" as a name, which I rather like.  I mean, battles are good, right?  And greed is good, right?  Okay.  Since then, my last ten (failed) fortresses have been called "Battlegreed the Grave of Thieves", my current fortress is called Battlegreed the Grave of Thieves, and by Armok, they'll KEEP being called Battlegreed until I either get one constructed the way I like it, or it falls to a legitimate cause.

I consider tantrum spirals, booze fires, and goblin attacks legitimate causes.  I do not consider Windows Update or power outages which cause me to lose five hours of work (and the desire to continue playing that fortress) a legitimate cause.

Kobold thieves and goblin babysnatchers get their skulls turned into totems and placed along the main road, hence the "Grave of Thieves" part.

(edit) Oh, and Exitceilings makes me think of how maybe someday Toady will provide a way for somebody to be tied to a boulder and shot out of a catapult through a skylight.  It's like being banished, but at twice the speed of sound.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:47:33 am by Bromor Neckbeard »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 01:43:58 am »

Personally, I feel a fortress name is not good without hilarious randomness. If I get a serious-sounding name like "Stonekeep" or something I abort and embark again until the name is silly enough.

Rabid Dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 11:59:03 am »

I once got my Fortress to be name "Angrybuttocks".

I fell over laughing.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 12:13:21 pm »

I like my current fort's name of Crushworks, i'm thinking of making an automated crushing drawbridge gauntlet on the long entrance hallway into my fort
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Onul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 11:27:23 pm »

'Exitceilings'? Reminds me of a monologue.

"My brother is dead. He's not here anymore! But on my back, and in my heart, his spirit lives on!
I will drill a hole into the heavens! Even if that hole becomes my grave--as long as I break through, I will be victorious!
Who the hell do you think I am?! I am Simon! I am not just Kamina's brother! I am me! I am Simon the Digger!!"

Second line is the first thing I thought of when I heard 'Exitceilings'. As it stands, the only nifty thing I've gotten out of random generation was the fort title 'Razorwoman', which brought to mind William Gibson's book Neuromancer.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 11:49:19 pm »

"Battlepainted" I feel it just represents dwarven "art" at its best.

Urist McDwarvenArtist has cerated a masterpeice!
Cog Mcpeasent: Wow I really like how you managed to spread that single goblin over 3 walls and all over the floor at the same time!
Urist McDwarvenArtist: You didn't see what I did with the ceiling?
Cog Mcpeasent: Hey is that my puppy ?
Urist McDwarvenArtist: Well some of it...

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 12:29:45 pm »

Personally, I feel a fortress name is not good without hilarious randomness. If I get a serious-sounding name like "Stonekeep" or something I abort and embark again until the name is silly enough.

My current fortress is called Avalsolon - "Loveflags." I thought that was certainly weird enough!

:)

Bill

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »

The next fortress I create, I think I'm going to name the group "The Ecstacy of Gold".
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »

Ah, somebody's a Clint Eastwood fan.  Or maybe an Ennio Morricone fan.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »

'Exitceilings'? Reminds me of a monologue.

"My brother is dead. He's not here anymore! But on my back, and in my heart, his spirit lives on!
I will drill a hole into the heavens! Even if that hole becomes my grave--as long as I break through, I will be victorious!
Who the hell do you think I am?! I am Simon! I am not just Kamina's brother! I am me! I am Simon the Digger!!"

Second line is the first thing I thought of when I heard 'Exitceilings'. As it stands, the only nifty thing I've gotten out of random generation was the fort title 'Razorwoman', which brought to mind William Gibson's book Neuromancer.

Woot Gurren Lagann!
Anyway my most recent fort which also happens to be my most successful is 'relictrance', group name the Deep Walls, and the civ the Elder Mechanisms. Unfortunatly the civs symbol is a coffin, kinda hoping for something better.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 04:49:08 pm »

My favorite fortress ever was called Spitecastle, and my current one is called Deephate.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 08:46:03 am »

Anustunnel.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 10:39:07 am »

I once got my Fortress to be name "Angrybuttocks".

I fell over laughing.
The Evidence Before the court is... incontrovertible/
There's no need for the jury to retire.
In all my years of judging, I have never seen before/
Another more deserving the full penalty of law.
The exquisite suffer of your wife and mother/
Fills me with the urge to DEFECATE!
Since, my friend, you have revealed your greatest fear/
I sentence you to be exposed before your peers.
TEAR DOWN THE WALL!!!

TEAR DOWN THE WALL! TEAR DOWN THE WALL!
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Arphahat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 12:14:30 pm »

Not random, but it was fun coming up with the names.

Beerfriend, the Glorious Belch-Brew, run by the Beerdrinkers(I think... I cannot access the legends right now).  Funny thing was that it took forever for them to establish a farm and brewery.

My new fortress is in the middle of a forest, by a river.  It is: Treehomes, the Wondrous Wooden Dwelling, home to the Responsible Wooden Workers.

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »

Syrupcovered. Founded by the Drowned Something-or-other. The best part was that the fort ended up drowning when I tried to make an artificial waterfall.
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4