Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fortress Names  (Read 4112 times)

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Names
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »

Standardbeards, founded by Bearded Armor.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 04:21:18 pm »

After going through the random name generator a few times searching for a good name I found one that really struck me: Exitceilings. Makes so sense that I can see whatsoever but for some reason I just can't forget it.

So I searched 5 pages back, didn't find a thread and made one. So the purpose of this is twofold: One, what do you think when you hear 'Exitceilings' and two, what names (random or otherwise) for fortresses have you found truly memorable?

There is an actual search page, easier and more reliable than poring over the first five pages.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=15974.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18071.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19686.15
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Tarquinius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 04:39:19 pm »

My favourite fortress name so far is my current fortress - 'Heavenworked,' which I like the sound of. The group name is 'The Dignified Lancers' and the civilization name is 'The Machine of Dimpling.'
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Or in other words: shy from the sky. No answer lies there. It cannot care, especially for what it no longer knows. Treat that place as a thing unto itself, independent of all else, and confront it on those terms. You alone must find the way. No one else can help you. Every way is different. And if you do lose yourself at least take solace in the absolute certainty that you will perish.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:44 pm »

Civilization: The Smooth Flag.
Fortress: Sculptedsteel

With the Goblin civ of Dungeon of Sorrow
Elven civ of the Rock of Yearlings
When I first read the Kobold civ name I thought it said Froglok of your anus -_-... instead its Frolokofayrsnus
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 07:00:29 pm »

My fort is called "Gatemaw".

"The firey lords" is the local government, with two chains as it's symbol.
"The purple tools" is the civ name. > . >  < . <

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 07:07:47 pm »

My current fort is "Bogtower the Eerie Ageless Mountain-Hole of Blood". Yes, I choose the name myself.
One time the RNG gave me "The Candytower of Burning".
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:52 pm »

"The Ageless Cavern of Brothers", under the dwarfdom "The Unyielding Shields". Founded by "The Hammers of Prophecy".

It's gonna be an epic Fortress.
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Falcondude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 09:56:54 pm »

I wanted to make a massive earthquake by digging out all of the z-2 level.

"A new chapter of dwarven history starts here, at Greatestmines"

If that isn't FRICKING PSYCHIC, I don't know what is.

Jotwebe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 10:43:40 am »

The RNG decided to call my very first fortress "Dabblingshot", which turned out to be kind of fitting.

I think it's symbol was a bin, but it might have been three hoary marmots - I forgot which one of them was the civ's and which was the founding group's.

Subsequently I've hand-picked the names to suit the location and my plans for it, but I do miss the random strangeness a bit.

"Exitceilings" sounds like there's some horrible explosion in the works, blowing barrels, bins and dwarves high into the air...
Quote from: The Innkeeper
"A tinker's debt is always paid:
Once for any simple trade.
Twice for freely-given aid.
Thrice for any insult made."
- Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:44 pm »

Without even touching the Fortress Name screen, I got Boarmurdered. Exactly 1 letter away from YOU KNOW WHAT.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 12:39:37 pm »

Mythbust.

Admittedly, I was using a custom civilization who liked mystical-sounding names. But it's still randomly generated.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »

Welcome to The Violator of Strangers, occupied by the group known as The Tentacles of Rape.  For some reason, dwarves are too nervous to immigrate here...

I also recently had the idea to see if I could combine "Heart", "Pumps", "Purple" "Panther" and "Piss" appropriately in order to make a fort that gives not a fig for your troubles.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 08:54:09 pm »

My current fort is "Bogtower the Eerie Ageless Mountain-Hole of Blood". Yes, I choose the name myself.
One time the RNG gave me "The Candytower of Burning".

"The Diary of Urist McMadArchitect:

...and it was on that fateful day that I realized the plan for the greatest construction of dwarvenkind: a giant, fearsome tower constructed entirely of Red Hots."

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 09:01:52 pm »

My latest fort's name was RNG'd to be "Somberbanners". The group name is "The Closed Guild". The civ name is "The Humorous Ropes".

Civ name is probably explained by the fact that the civ attacked goblins right after the goblins attacked the elves. Let me just say this: 130 dwarves sieging a dark fortress inhabited by only 2 goblins is quite humorous.

The group name is probably because of my tendencies to kill all the immigrants that arrive after the second wave. Sure is elitist around here!

The fort name, well, I lost 30 immigrants in a single goblin ambush. I'm not sure that's somber, but it certainly was amusing.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 10:42:22 pm »

Let's see what I can remember.
Roadanvils (current fort, planning on building a giant anvil as a megaconstruction once I get this waterfall ironed out), Goldencourage (Personal favorite.  Lot's of diorite layers, so I had enough actual gold to build a big spire on a tower.), Swordangels (Lost 90% of it's population to a tantrum spiral; losing was totally epic to watch), and Organsyrup (first fortress with magma, I had a bit of 'fun' tapping the pipe.  Hard to believe that a miner can run all the way through your fort to the barracks while on fire.).  There've been other forts, but they were generally short lived for some reason or another.

Oh, and there was Worshipheathers, which I named such because I was building it on a ruined human town named Worshipheathers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:45:44 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4