Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarvish inversion theory  (Read 880 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarvish inversion theory
« on: August 25, 2008, 02:32:46 pm »

One would think that with more dwarves, more things would get done, and faster. The theory is that as your dwarves reach 'critical mass', or 200 population, the lag makes things feel substantially longer, and on top of that, they have the habit of getting in one another's way, taking up workshops for completely useless things, etc.

Anyone else feel this is true?

Edit: This is actually based on the economic theory that there's a limit to how many workers you can have before you reach maximum profit. After a certain amount of workers have been reached, they start to trip over one another, spend more time socializing than working, and all sorts of unpleasant unproductiveness.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:46:46 pm by Flok Speargrabber »

Snappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvish inversion theory
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:58:37 pm »

Growing population brings the gamerate wayy down, and absolutely makes everything take longer in RL time.

It would be interesting to come up with a model for how fast work gets done in real time, and see where the "sweet spot" is population wise.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:13:18 pm »

Larger fortresses can produce more items if there's more dwarves.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:50:47 pm »

only if you increase managment for dwarves with 500+dwarves^2
the beginning takes alot, but the end has more workers than you can possibly keep running efficiently, thats why big standing armies become the norm , after initial micro to arm up they're good to sparr forever

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:22:11 pm »

Also, unless you give trader's some ridiculous profits (not a bad plan since it seems like that will get them to bring you more stuff.  I was abnormally generous to the elves one year and they brought me over 500 units of food the next time) or simply give things away there's a limit to how much you really want to produce.  Sure I could give all my idlers stonecrafting and build them each a workshop to crank out the instruments, but a few skilled guys with one workshop is already providing me with more trader fodder than I could ever get rid of.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:56:33 pm »

The only thing I don't like about large fortresses is the FPS decrease and the need to manually produce tons and tons of rooms.

However, I've since modded dwarves to be naked, so I could probably do away with rooms since there's no socks laying around that need to be put away. But the FPS hit is still there. 100 dwarves seems to be a good number for a large but not too large fort. Significantly over that just seems to become unwieldy.