Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Traps  (Read 1031 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Traps
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:38:42 am »

I'm quite fond of water because of how fun it is and I just recently managed to build a pipe that drowns nobles, just for the sake of doing it ;) That worked perfectly fine, so, I'm thinking of adapting it to make ditch-moats, or walls connected to an aquifier and filled with water. Then, I could attach floodgates to the wall or let invaders break it and be flooded with water. That probably won't kill the big ones or anything, but it will be fun :)

One problem I did have with it is that when the room does get filled with water, I can't drain it. I have a room on the nobility level filled with water and forgot to build a drainage system... anyone have any tips on how I can get rid of it without killing ALL of my nobles? I've already cut off the supply to the room, but there's a fairly big room there with 7/7 water on each tile.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
Re: Water Traps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:45:04 am »

Channel the roof out and pump it somewhere else from above?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 06:30:26 am »

Dig down to make a drainage pond and let it flow.from there, make it possible to pump it back out if you want to drown multiple dwarves rapidly.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:39:20 am »

anyone have any tips on how I can get rid of it without killing ALL of my nobles?

You say that like its a bad thing...

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:33:47 am »

Dig out a drainage system underneath it, then dig an upwards ramp under the floor of the flooded room (assuming you haven't dug out underneath it already). Just make sure the miner has somewhere to run to when the water comes out.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:30:28 pm »

Hmm.. since it's at level 7, it's going to be pretty darn tough to pump it all out. I guess a drainage pipe is best. I just didn't want to dig another grate in the ground of the nice rooms. But I guess the room is ruined enough seeing how all the masterwork marble engravings have become muddy masterwork marble engravings.

I think it will be easier to kill nobles by just locking the rooms :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

But I guess the room is ruined enough seeing how all the masterwork marble engravings have become muddy masterwork marble engravings.
The dwarfs will clean them off once there's no water in the room anymore.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:48:06 am »

Either you channel the water to the surface with pumps and let it evaporate or pour it into a chasm. Not sure if map edges let water leave

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 06:20:07 am »

I made a noble drowning pipe once. the mayor beat the crap out of a legendary peasant (legendary cause i like peasants for mass smoothing and military) so he had to go. worked well but halfway down it flooded my fortress. the lower half anyway so I adventured there and discovered the humans (I built around a town) using my fortress! as a home! I didn't like this one bit so i strangled a guard in his sleep and was decapitated three seconds later as a result.
the moral?
BUMP