Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raw File Edit - A Catsplosion preventive solution  (Read 1746 times)

ShirraWhitefur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raw File Edit - A Catsplosion preventive solution
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:04 am »

Greetings!

I've been playing DF for a while, off and on.. a lot of off, admittedly, but darn, it's enjoyable coming back after each major revision and going, "Tons of new features and fixes, whee!".
  One problem that has plagued me an' others is the cats.  Now, mind you, I adore cats.  I do.  Which makes the magma baths to save the fortress' FPS really hard.  Then I thought to myself, as I started blatently cheating via smelter reactions.. why can't I meddle with the cats data?  Get rid of kittens?
  .. That was no go, since they're the same species.  Then after eyeballing the creature token list on the wiki, I found it.  [NO_GENDER].  Added to the cats file in Creature_Domestic.txt, it effectively fixes all cats.  Everywhere.  I brought a pair with me, and after three years, they did not breed, they did not sire kittens.. and oddly enough, they also didn't pick an "owners" to hypnotize.  But they did thier proper vermin killing job nicely, and let me have a few cats wandering my fortress again, without fear of FPS death.  A quick search on this topic didn't show anyone elses mention of the idea.. so.. there you are.  To summarize.
  /Raws/Objects/Creature_Domestic.txt
   Added [NO_GENDER] on it's own line right after the [PET] line for CREATURE:CAT.

Try it out, maybe it'll work just as smooth for you.  Maybe someone will come up with a mod to toggle the flag off on cats and have them till then be normal.  Yanno.  An option to "Fix" your cats.  ^_^

- Shirra

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Raw File Edit - A Catsplosion preventive solution
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:30:18 am »

you should maybe put their infinite lifespawn too so you don't need to care about ... cat XY died from old age (and you have no kittens :D)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:26:51 am »

The thing that I am not aware of is how is it set that they adopt dwarves instead of dwarves adopting them. I don't see a line in raws.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Von Krieger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:38:44 am »

I do believe that the same tag that makes them hunt vermin makes them adopt a dwarf.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:00:30 am »

Right. The [VERMINHUNTER] flag both makes them hunt vermin and makes them pick their own "staff" so to speak. I modded foxes to have the flag also, and like cats, my tame foxes are all "Uninterested" at the moment. I do wish the two behaviors were governed by separate flags, though.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:11:12 am »

An option to "Fix" your cats.  ^_^
 - Shirra

It's questionable whether after you "fix" them, they're still cats or not. Personally, I prefer more ... direct (and bloody) means... Dealing with mind-controlling cats is one of the fun challenges in DF, just like nobles.... (who are sometimes dealt with in similarly "direct" manners)... :)

ShirraWhitefur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

I will agree, it does change how the cats work.  And maybe a lifespan tweak could help, though I figure one can get them via immigrants and traders still.  The whole thought is merely an easy way to have your cats and enjoy 'em.  Hope this helped the folks that were hunting such a thing, it's time for me to work on that ol' favorite, the immigrant death-tower. ;)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

There is, I think, a way to quickly set a maximum population of an animal for the site.  I use it to limit the number of fire imps (I let them reproduce).  I think it is this one: [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:15]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

There is, I think, a way to quickly set a maximum population of an animal for the site.  I use it to limit the number of fire imps (I let them reproduce).  I think it is this one: [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:15]

That only controls the number of roaming creatures in the wilderness surrounding your fort.  AFAIK it's supposed to be a yearly limit, but last I heard the counter no longer resets (i.e. with your 10:15 there you'd only ever see 10-15 of the creature roaming onto the map, after which they never reappear for that fortress).  It has no effect on tame animals brought with immigrants or caravans.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 02:08:30 pm »

If I have a really good computer, a crysis-like computer, do I really have to worry about catsplosions?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:59:05 pm »

If I have a really good computer, a crysis-like computer, do I really have to worry about catsplosions?
Yes.  My computer can run Crysis, albeit slowly for the moment, but don't let that trick you.  Crysis relies on the GPU, whereas DF consumes raw CPU.
A catsplosion can still cripple even the best of computers, as long as DF is still unthreaded.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 05:42:08 pm »

Oh... Looks like there will be more '*<<+cat leather sock+>>*' for me to slap attackers with.  :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:02 am »

You can just add the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] and have the [liTTERSIZE:??] set to a low number and then you no longer need to worry about catsplosions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.