Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hilarious Mistake  (Read 2396 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Hilarious Mistake
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:34 am »

I was digging out a moat in my brand new fortress, when suddenly my only miner got stranded in this little 1x2 island in a pond. It was so hilarious and disappointing at the same time. Sure am glad the fort JUST started.  ;D

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarious Mistake
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:20:37 am »

build a bridge to him if you want to save him

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:21:27 am »

Actually, if the water isn't too deep he could wade across. If it's more than 4/7, he's finished.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:01:53 am »

1. I have no stone. 2. He can't swim or wade (its 5/7 to 6/7 water he has no swimming abilities) 3. I have no axe or extra picks. 4. I already abandoned 5. I just thought how to fix it. 6. I am such an idiot sometimes.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:03 am »

I take you remembered you can deconstruct your wagon and use the logs to build a bridge?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:54:23 am »

Similar thing happenned to my moat. I channelled the path to the water last, so I could have the miner build stairs down.

Then, I tried to have him deconstruct the stairs, and he got knocked out by the falling debris with a broken ribcage.

Dumb.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:01 am »

Heh. Carrying that extra pick is well worth the trouble most of the time. I generally bring a minimum of 3 so some of my more useless dwarfs have something to do until their workshops are built.

My worst ever moat experience was with a 3x3 moat.  Being be brilliant guy that he was, the mechanic I had tasked to digging out the thing stood on the center tile and dug out the other eight. Meanwhile, the main miner had already dug out the tile underneath the first guy and the moat was filling with water. 

Cut to two stories below in my refuse room.  The mechanic shoots clear down there, miraculously uninjured, releasing a flood of water.  He is just fast enough to escape and lock the door before the whole place is underwater. 

The sad thing is that the moat didn't do me any good anyway.  The Nightwing civ that I had modded in finally shows up with an ambush after four 10 year fortresses in the same world where I hadn't seen hide or hair of them earlier.  Worse, I had forgotten to link up the main drawbridge to a lever, so they just fly past all the retractable bridges and into my fort, cheerfully slaughtering everybody.

EDIT: Grammar repair.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:26:08 am by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:16 am »

dwarfs arent the most brilliant,my miner got killed cause another miner allready digged the other panels so he got stuck on a 1x1 insland in the middle of the moat and quess what he did?

he digged the ground underhim and drowned,after that hes wife with her child went on a tantrum and killed 2 wrestelers,the son and 1 dwarf before dieing of hunger.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 01:30:15 pm »

My artificial waterfall project has claimed the lives of three dwarves and one baby so far.  It's partly my fault because the way it's designed has a bunch of pump backwash capable of washing them away into the cave river (and I have no way of turning it off without my waterwheels becoming unsupported and dumping a dozen logs into the river), but I choose to blame the dwarves for trying to walk through the rushing water.

I also had to almost completely redo the first elevator portion (which I later found out would've worked fine the first way) and there's been several parts where I've trapped a dwarf somewhere and only gotten him out when I see a "cancels attend party: no floor space" message.

Yeah, this is pretty much the best waterfall ever.  I still haven't completed the "waterfall" portion, but with any luck I may wind up flooding the whole damn fortress.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

NCarter

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling body parts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nether.org.uk/
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:29 am »

In my current succession game, I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks.

I can't decide whether or not to savescum the game.  It'd probably be funnier to leave it for the next player with one bedroom inexplicably full of lava. :D

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:25:58 am »

In my current succession game, I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks.

I can't decide whether or not to savescum the game.  It'd probably be funnier to leave it for the next player with one bedroom inexplicably full of lava. :D
Might burn down the door and flood the fort.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:55:55 am »

Quote from: userpay
Might burn down the door and flood the fort.
[/quote

Sounds Dwarfly.
might want to forbid the door though, depending on how nice you are.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 12:20:22 pm »

My first waterfall ever was tested this weekend, ended up drowning half my population in the dining rooms , apperently the pumps in the bottom pumped slower then the water was falling down thus making the shaft filling very very fast up to the dining rooms.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 12:40:11 pm »

I may have to steal that for my sig here. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

HisMajestyBOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:48:56 pm »

My first waterfall ever was tested this weekend, ended up drowning half my population in the dining rooms , apperently the pumps in the bottom pumped slower then the water was falling down thus making the shaft filling very very fast up to the dining rooms.

I had that exact same problem with my first waterfall project, but I managed to cut the water off before disaster ensued.

Insert Quote

I can't decide whether or not to savescum the game.  It'd probably be funnier to leave it for the next player with one bedroom inexplicably full of lava.
:D This had me rolling!
Pages: [1] 2