Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GrowDur  (Read 2535 times)

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GrowDur
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »

I was editing the MatGloss Plant files, trying to increase the GrowDurs of all plants to 3 times their regular values (to try and make the game more difficult) and I noticed that many plants didn't have a GrowDur value listed.
I added it into every plant that didn't have it.
Is this going to screw things up?
Why don't these plants have GrowDurs in the first place?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GrowDur
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:59:28 pm »

Plants without a GROWDUR revert to an internal default, I believe, although to be honest I don't really know.

Oh, and relevant, I suppose:

Code: [Select]
1 DWARVEN DAY = 12 GROWDUR
300 GROWDUR = 25 DAYS
28 DAYS TO A MONTH
84 DAYS TO A SEASON
3 MONTHS TO A SEASON
4 SEASONS A YEAR
336 DAYS TO A YEAR

1 GROWDUR TO 2 HOURS
12 GROWDUR TO A DAY
84 GROWDUR TO A WEEK
336 GROWDUR TO A MONTH
1008 GROWDUR TO A SEASON
4032 GROWDUR TO A YEAR

Don't know why I felt the need to post that.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:31 pm »

No, that helps, thank you.

I'm assuming that any missing token is assumed to be "default", unless otherwise noted?

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 12:14:41 am »

I'd assume they use a default duration, since they don't seem to either sprout up instantly or bug out, but I'm not sure what that default actually is.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:36 am »

I suppose that, as with many other cases, it is "1".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:28 am »

That'd be 12 times a day, for the plants without the token. Probably not 1.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:35:52 pm »

According to the old wiki, the default is 500... which means most plants will grow twice per season.

What I've done is added Growdur=1008 to every plant (a whole season to grow) as well as made them only growable in Spring and Summer... just for realism's sake. (No planting seeds in autumn and hoping they'll live thru the winter)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »

Correct.
Any missing tokens that aren't specific to the particular item (see: NAME, etc) will be assumed default and parsed as such.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:00:38 am »

Well, planting season depends entirely on the plant in question, and the climate. (I always thought it silly for the underground plants to be season-specific, personally.) For example, from Wikipedia's article on peas, "It is a cool season crop grown in many parts of the world; planting can take place from winter through to early summer depending on location."
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:56 pm »

It would be wonderful if Toady removed the system in whichi plants grow depending on season, and added a Temperature requirement.. something like this plant grows in areas between 5 and 30 degrees, or whatever.
That way, temperate climates would have to rely on seasons,
but in frigid climates you wouldn't be able to grow at all (realistically)
and in hotter climates, the growing season would be extended (and perhaps be too hot for certain plants, too).
This would be a fantastic addition, I think, and probably fairly easy to code.

Is it currently possible to grow plants in very frigid/hot climates?

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:34:52 pm »

It's possible to set plants to whatever climate you want, though the base game plants don't do much with that (All the default surface plants are just set to [NOT_FREEZING] except for a few you can only gather with herbalism). Realistically, some plants will only grow in tropical climates, while others, such as lichen, will grow just about anywhere, even in a tundra.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:42:48 pm »

Above ground plants can't be grown in tundra or glacier (due to the [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING] tag) but this biome tag seems to only affect the areas like tundra/glacier, and not other freezing areas like frozen swamps and such, even if water is frozen there year round. Underground plants can be grown anywhere.

I recently made it so that plants are all GROWDUR 2000, and removed two of the season tags (depending on plant type). This allows them to be planted one season out of the year, and 1 week into the next season. Spring and 1 week of summer for the ones that I removed autumn/winter on. They then take almost 2 seasons to mature, so they'll all be harvested in Autumn - with the ones planted in early Summer getting harvested right before Winter. This works year round, I also have some plants plantable in Winter and early Spring and harvestable in Summer.

It makes for a much more reasonable farming system. You have to actually plan ahead to get your food, instead of saying "Oh, everyones about to starve in a month. Lets plant some food."

I only did the minus 2 seasons thing to above ground plants, though. Underground plants wouldn't really depend on the seasons, so I just have them plantable anytime but still taking 2 seasons to mature.

-edit- At least it WAS making it 1 week into the next season... now I'm suddenly getting very weird results with this system. Suddenly I can grow one plant for a week into summer and another plant, which has the exact same growdur and season settings, for the first month of summer. Then another plant I can't grow in summer at all... Is there some random element to Growdur that I wasn't encountering before? The last time I was testing this I had 3 different fields set up to grow a plant that was set to 2000 growdur and Spring/Summer seasons and it let me grow every one of them exactly a week into Summer, now its all over the place.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:29:25 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 12:48:35 pm »

Thanks for the info everyone.
Can I tag a plant to have the "biome=No_scorching"   or something?

Also, that's really wierd about the sudden randomization of your GrowDurs... the only thing I can think of is that you planted them late in the first place, or something.