Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma  (Read 591 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:24:17 pm »

i have a couple of questions i have to ask about magma

1) how do magma spawn? i am at the first z evel of the volcano(is that spelt right?), underground. i was working to make magma forges, and i dug a channel to use the magma on the Z level below. i make the channel. i don't break into the magma. but thin layers of magma started spawning where i wanted to build the forges. how could that happen?
oh,the first time i tryed to make the channel i broke  the wall between me and the magma, and almost all the fortress was flooded. after a couple of season and a couple of floodings( of water) i managed to close the wall again, so i could go back to the fortress. there were some extra tiles made on the borderof the volcano, so i channeled also them (without going in the magma this time).
maybe since they were volcano tiles they keep spawning magma? if that is the problem, i'll move my forges down, where there is no aquifer to stop me.

2) what is the difference between lava and magma?

Snappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: magma
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

Don't know about #1, but IRL magma becomes lava when it emerges onto the surface of the earth. They're basically the same thing, only magma = subterranean and lava = surface.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:41:15 pm »

i was thinking about that, but it doesn't work in that way in dwarf fortress

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:48:45 pm »

Magma is spawned as either an infinite supply when it's a pipe that goes all the way down to the lowest z-level or as a supply that can run out as a pool that goes just a couple of levels down. When you tap the first, it slowly refills. When done with the second type, it runs out. If you're wondering why no magma has appeared in your channels, try loo[k]ing in one of them and see whether a rock has blocked the view, like it is the case with water. I can't help you with the flooding part, but my guess would be toady has come round to pressurize magma. However, I'm not sure of this last claim. today, I've changed from .38c to .40c and I'm still figuring out all of the changes.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:01:16 pm »

channel is full , mainly because it is open space on a z level where magma is much larger.
and it can't be pressurized magma. i had a channel like that in a past fortress, and magma stayed in the channel.
oh, magma melt the rock, so it can't block the view.

i heard that volcanoes fills from above... if magma spawn from the first z level full of magma, then it would probably spanw also in the tiles that i turned into obsidian and then mined...

well, i think i'll just have to wall the area and move everything down. not a problem, since it is only some 1/7 magma. dangerous only if it spawn on the head of a dwarf (it killed my mason).
that is a unlucky fortress. might be a good challenge