Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 108

Author Topic: Penguinofhonor's RTD ROUND 2 Turn 31.5 Help update the statuses! (12/15)  (Read 142228 times)

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Penguinofhonor's Roll to Dodge ROUND 2
« Reply #480 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:30 pm »

I may be interested in joining, but I usually forget things like this and I'd hate to hold everyone else up because I didn't post. 
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 19, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »

I'll join, as long as we aren't going down the LOLEXPLODEUNIVERSE route. And there should be some kind of permadeath (rejoin as an NPC/ new player if theres a ton of slots open maybeh?), because the invincible and untouchable ghosts floating around doing whatever they wanted was just game breaking :(
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Almighty Rules Post
« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2008, 01:20:24 pm »

Rules
  • Some things won't work on a five, and some things will only work on a five. It's up to me. You can gain special powers (eg. pyrokinesis, telekinesis, electricity manipulation) that allow you to do more things.
  • If you don't post, then your character will go on basic AI, meaning that they'll perform actions to save themselves if they're in mortal danger. Healers will heal and people with resurrection powers will use them. If you don't post for two turns, someone can take your character.
  • If you don't think you can make every single round, then you can put multiple actions in a single round. These must be clearly numbered, and you can change actions later if you are able to make it to the forum when you thought you couldn't.
  • You cannot use powers on multiple targets or on distant targets until you have trained your powers enough to get that ability. There are some exceptions, but it's my call.
Various Game Mechanics
  • Every player gets a "free action" every turn. One. Free actions are auto-successful actions, limited to picking items up, talking to other people for RP purposes, getting information from NPCs (not items or skill training), giving or taking items, or walking to adjacent rooms/areas in the same floor of the tower. There will be no rolls for these except charisma rolls to see how responsive NPCs are for you and, if necessary, rolls to see who gets an item if multiple people want it. Stealing items is not a free action, and neither is searching for items. Some other actions may be free actions, but this is on a case-by-case basis and I will tell you. Skills might let you get free actions in occasionally.
  • You can hold two items without anything to carry them. You can only wear one of each type of metal/solid armor, but cloth armor can be stacked. You will get penalties if you put on too much, though. Having a wounded hand means that you can't carry heavy objects in that hand, and having a heavily wounded hand means that the hand can't hold anything. These rules change depending on the number of hands you have.
  • There will be separate dodge and damage rolls. This allows me to make more unique abilities and weapons. All attack overshots that result in a powerful attack (they can make other things happen sometimes) will give the attacked person -1 dodge, and all dodges that roll 1 will give the person -1 to their damage avoidance roll.
  • Swarm rules are in effect. Every attack on a person after the first gives them an additional -1 to dodge.
  • Permadeath is in. If you die, then you have 1 turn to be revived by someone else. After that, someone else can replace you. Every time you die, you get a -1 to being revived.
  • You can dual wield weapons, allowing you to attack twice in one turn (it must be on the same enemy, and it's possible that you won't get your second hit in if you fail bad enough). The effectiveness of this depends on the size of the weapons. Even with the smallest weapons, your second attack will have penalty of -1. The penalty grows with the size of your weapons. A long sword and a dagger will get you -1 to both attacks. Two short swords will as well. It's my judgment, but you're free to ask me what various combinations would do.
  • Your allies can be given orders, but not controlled directly. Team allies can be given orders by anyone, but if you have a reputation for screwing up then they probably won't be listened to. You can get your own personal allies through necromancy and taming and stuff, which can only be ordered by you. The more intelligent they are, the more easily they'll abandon you if you screw up.
  • Diminishing bonuses decrease by 1 every time they're used, stopping at 0. Some might continue degrading after 0, but I'll tell you, so don't worry unless I say you should.
  • Aside from the 1 minion you get normally and the cap on minions you get from various powers (eg. necromancy), you can have other minions. The first one requires a concentration roll every turn and will give you -1 to all other thought rolls while controlling it. Every subsequent minion adds another -1 to thought rolls and adds a -1 to minion concentration rolls. Concentration rolls are governed by the same bonuses and penalties as thought rolls.
Skills and Powers
Skills and Powers are similar. Skills are anything that a normal human could do, like swordfighting or weaponsmithing, and leveling them allows you to perform them with greater efficiency. Powers are like magic, and gaining and leveling them allows you to perform them in the first place.
They level up through use and training. Training levels them up more quickly than simply using them. By using them, you get 1 exp for a 4 and 2 exp for a 5 or 6, and by training them you get 1 exp for a 3, 2 exp for a 4, and 3 exp for a 5 or 6. It takes 1 exp to get to level one of a skill or power, 2 exp to get to level 2, and so on. The only exception is legendary for skills, which requires 20 exp.
When your skills and powers get capped, they'll turn blue in your status and I'll tell you about it. Skills are all capped at legendary but the cap for powers is variable.
You can get specializations in skills, which allow you to perform specific tasks related to that skill. Some examples would be a swordsman that can strike twice in a turn with his sword and an armorsmith that specializes in helmets. Feel free to think up your own specializations, but I'll put examples in the Specific Skill/Power Mechanics section. You can take three specializations, at no-adjective, master, and legendary. You must train to get them like you train to get experience, except the one at legendary is free.
Spoiler: Skill levels (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic/Power levels (click to show/hide)
Specific Skill/Power Mechanics
Spoiler: Weapon Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alchemy Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Teleportation Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enchantment Powers (click to show/hide)

Round 2 Players (FULL):
Akroma
Wooty
Sean Mirrsen
Devath
Poltifar
SHAD0Wdump
Jetman123
Cyx
Golgath
qwertyuiopas
Kashyyk
Frelock
Jackrabbit
Mulch Diggums
omegaalpha
Chaoticag
Armok
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:18:38 am by penguinofhonor »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 19, 2008, 01:25:23 pm »

Guess I'll join, then.  Like mentioned previously, I hope it doesn't go all universe explodey.. =P

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #484 on: October 19, 2008, 01:54:18 pm »

I claim a spot.
Eh?
Eh!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 19, 2008, 01:56:26 pm »

I should say it all began with me posessing the Earth. :) Since permadeath is in effect now, meaning no ghosts, destroying the universe in such fun ways should be significantly less possible. I'll keep my spot, let's see if I can cause the beginning of the end of the world again.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »

No, sean, this game will center around a tower. One that looks like this, but each dice will be about a thousand feet on each side and there will be countless dice stacked.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 19, 2008, 02:01:54 pm »

I can has spot?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 19, 2008, 02:06:50 pm »

Kashyyk, you're in.

So I have a question. Should I cover up the rolls with acronym tags like Sean does?

Like this:
|

Or is everyone fine seeing their rolls?

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 19, 2008, 02:43:20 pm »

I'm fine seeing the rolls.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 19, 2008, 03:16:20 pm »

Seeing the rolls is preferred by my account.

Oh,and I'm definitely in.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 19, 2008, 04:18:36 pm »

If there's still a spot left, I'd like to join!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2008, 05:25:52 pm »

i'm in. i'm in. I'M IN. i would never forgive myself otherwise

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2008, 06:11:47 pm »

I'll write the starting turn now. The remaining two players can join and post an action at the same time.

Turn 0

You wander into a city, looking around. Everything in this city is built like it's from a different period in time. You see great Roman marble buildings, gothic cathedrals, Arabian towers, modern office buildings, and much more.

You are in a group along with fourteen other people of questionable age, nationality, and possibly gender. You and they are each clothed in a simple toga-like cloth, each of a different color. You came from all over to make a pilgrimage to this town, to visit the great temple to the god Ecid (I'm not being too creative with the names here, if you can't tell).

Looking forward, you see the temple. It doesn't really surprise you, because it is a huge tower that can be seen from thousands of miles away. It looks like a huge stack of dice, with each dice made of a different material. The bottom dice is made of yellowish stone blocks. There is a huge set of doors, covered in gold and gems. The doors are about fifty feet tall. Each dice is about 1000 feet (304.8 meters for all you metric system fans) along each side. The dice stack seemingly infinitely into the sky.

The temple has been around for as long as anyone has remembered. Nobody has ever been above the first dice, and you don't really plan to. The first dice is a beautiful temple, decorated with the most expensive materials possible. A huge staircase, slightly less decorated than the rest of the temple, is in the center and is said to lead up to the second dice, which from the outside is made of mossy stone, covered in creeping vines that make beautiful flowers in the spring.

As you enter the temple, it is far more beautiful than you could have imagined. Monks walk around busily, carrying gifts to Ecid and praying at some of the many altars in the temple. You see six cubes arranged in a semicircle, with numbers facing inwards.

On the cube marked with a 1, there is a burn mark and a charred seed. On cube 2, there is a seed simply sitting on it. Cube 3 has a small, stunted tree on top of it. There is a normal tree on cube 4, not perfectly healthy but fully grown. On cube 5 sits a fully grown, beautiful tree. On cube 6 sits a monstrosity of a tree, grown so large that many of its branches have snapped off because they weighed too much.

You would stop to further look at some of the altars and decorations but a monk runs up to you.

"You are the warriors of legend!" he cries. He pulls a book out from somewhere, which you see is labeled Generic Prophecies. He reads from it: "The four warriors of light shall come with four crystals... No, that's not the one. Let's see here. Fifteen people..."

As he's looking for a fitting prophecy in the book, another monk walks up to the group. "Friends, don't be worried about Felix here. He's been trying to get people to climb those stairs all year. You shouldn't climb them. It's too dangerous. You would be handing your lives over to chance. That's not a smart decision."

But you're intrigued by the offer. Looking around, you see that the rest of the group is as well. You talk amongst yourselves and decide that foolishly sacrificing your lives would be an incredibly fun thing to do, and tell the monks this.

"What?" the head monk asks. "You can't be serious." He then realizes that whenever someone says this, they're always talking to someone who is serious. Thinking for a moment, he whispers something to some monks and they run off. In a moment they bring back a box.

"Every floor contains a powerful magic artifact. This is this floor's artifact." He opens the box and pulls out a golden amulet, shaped like a horseshoe magnet. One end of the magnet shines brightly and the other end seems to emanate darkness. "Give it to your luckiest person. This amulet will make their good luck better and their bad luck worse. It is called Fortuna Aurea."

Handing it to your group, he gives you one more comment. "Stay here as long as you need to. Be fully prepared before you face the trials of the Tower of Ecid."

---

Okay, here's how this is going to work. You get to specify the color of your character's toga. If you don't specify, then it's white.
And if you want Fortuna Aurea, then ask for it. If multiple people want it then I'll determine who gets it by seeing who gets the highest dice roll. It gives you +1 to all rolls with a final roll of 4 or 5 and a -1 to all rolls with a final roll of 2 or 3. It can be very helpful or dangerous. Mostly dangerous since you'll be getting sixes and ones a lot more, but you'll need to remember that I'm a benevolent GM and most of my sixes are more positive than negative.

The goal of the game is to get to the top of the tower. Hopefully with as many people as possible. The floors and their artifacts will be determined by dice rolls. There will be an event dice roll

Status
Spoiler: This is pretty long (click to show/hide)

Artifacts
Spoiler: Fortuna Aurea (click to show/hide)

Locations
The First Floor: A lavishly decorated temple to the god Ecid. Monks are walking around busily.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:57:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2008, 06:18:10 pm »

I attempt to learn how to revive people, other players and more, and I certainly do not want the amulet of extremes.  If necessary, I will pray to this 'Ecid' in order to learn how to revive others.

Edit: And my toga shall be green.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 108