Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UT2004: Air Buccaneers  (Read 5124 times)

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
UT2004: Air Buccaneers
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:17:16 am »

Since this subforum is for gamepimpin, I'm gonna pimp this great mod: Air Buccaneers (for Unreal Tournament 2004).

http://ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/

Basically it's an team deathmatch with slighty varying objectives, though the main part of it is team deathmatch. The two teams fight eachother either for points, for barrels of treasure or for controlling various points in the map. However, you can't simply walk to the enemy base. Well, you can... but as you walk towards it evil fungus will spawn and spit death at you. And if you touch water, some evil finnish lake demon will drain your soul.

The main part of the game is spent in the air, riding pretty flippin awesome air balloons. Neither blimp nor zeppelin fits since it's like they removed the guard railing from an normal air balloon and stuck a big old cannon on it instead. An ideal crew for a small balloon is 2-3, though it's still very possible to do it solo. One guy steers the balloon, another aims the cannon, which has 270 arc, meaning the pilot has some leniency if he messes up. The third guy loads the cannon with a cannon ball and then puts a torch to it. Hopefully the aimer will land a hit on some neat enemy balloon.

The other ship class is the battleship, which each team has but one of. It's longer like a viking ship minus the guard railing and + some cannons. It's ideally manned by 5-6 people, one for steering and 2 per cannon with a spare. Unless you're going to get it into battle on both sides at once, since then you have a total of 4 cannons to man :/

It becomes a bit more difficult to reliably destroy your enemies if they are nearby, since all players have a grappling hook that they can use by simply pressing space while flying, and it hooks up to *any* nearby balloon or battleship, and they can scurry up the rope and board the ship. And then engage in good old fashioned sword-fightin'. Or they can drop a few lit bags of powder and jump off to hang under the vessel as the powder bags explode, clearing the deck by either forcing the others to jump off or die. And hey, if you're lucky the ship doesn't explode and you can board it again, hopefully without any foes left on it or boarding. You got a new ship, camophlaged in their colours too. If it does explode and you survive the fall, scroll up to see what happens to people in the wilderness between bases :)

The game is fairly simple in objectives, either its simple killing, or simple killing and grabbing the treasure balloons (why they put their treasures on mini-emergency balloons I don't know) for points, or dominate a location for a certain time. This location may be a giant flying structure that hovers closer to the enemy base the closer you are to winning.

However, it's sad that the mod has mostly fallen out of use. People used to play organized games every sunday around 18-19 GMT, but I don't know if they still do. I'll find out shortly though. Meanwhile, it would be neat if some other people would start playing this, although the bots are a bit silly, varying between ignorable dummies to ridicoulous threats.
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: UT2004: Air Buccaneers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:47:13 pm »

Thanks for this, now I'll weep for my lack of UT2004.
Shoes...

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:37:18 pm »

I'll weep with you, since my steam-bought UT2004 has a touch of the old "Invalid CD-Key" which is an actual bug with steam and midway bought UT2004. Basically, it installs fine but then decides your key is wrong no matter if it is or not.
Got Ninja?
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:37:49 pm »

I'll weep too, even though my copy of UT2004 works fine (runs at 300-500 FPS at max settings, in fact,) because my crappy Bellsouth DSL won't stay connected long enough for me to download the darn mod.

EDIT: Aright! I got it, and anyone who wants to play with meeeeee is welcome to try. Just PM me or make a  post in this here thread and we can set up a game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:53:40 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:30:48 pm »

w00t, I got it working, bout 20 past 5am.  ;D

Said a sad goodnight in the chat, and then I tried just one final thing... Replacing the UT2004.ini's contents with the UT2004x.ini's contents. For some reason, people that get the invalid key bug can just rename the exe to get it working, but no mods. However, it seemed as if the default ini for the unnamed was broke meaning that the often effective method of deleting UT2004.ini didn't work. But since UT2004x.ini had no default to go by, it worked, and move over those results to the unrenamed...

Long story short: I can now play mods again, since the renamed one can only play vanilla! Air Buccaneers, here I come! ... Well, tomorrow. I'm gonna go snooze now. Maybe try set something up tomorrow (Monday)? 17:00 gmt?

Also, is anyone else interested?
Got Ninja?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:06 pm »

I got this mod with the collectors edition of UT2004. I have had some really good times with it at LAN parties. I second this recommendation. It is a really good mod. I mean how can you go wrong with flying pirateships?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 11:03:22 pm »

This was a really good mod.  UT2004 had tons of them though.  Alien Swarm, and Red Orchestra pop up off the top of my head.  Troopers was cool too though I could rarely get it to work multiplayer.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:02:35 am »

Ahh, good old Abu. So nice to see it receive some well-deserved warmth! It's a great and very original game. Worth picking up a copy of UT2004, if you find people to play it with occasionally.

..maybe I should do that myself! :)

--Eino

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

Got my attention,updating now.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:14:29 am »

So are some people interested in a small (basically whoever I can get from this thread?) game tonight round 17-18gmt? I think that's around 14 EST? Not sure exactly.
Got Ninja?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:49:08 am »

What is that in accordance to this forum's time?

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 09:58:06 am »

About 13:00-14:00 forum time?
Got Ninja?

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 11:33:34 am »

Server goes up now in case anyone wants to join, or I'm stuck fighting the bots for an hour or two. Joining is simple, just launch the air buccaneers mod (by going to the ut2004/AirBuccaneers folder and launching AirBuccaneers.bat or by launching the standard UT2004 and switching mods in the community section), press join game and look for games. Mine should be there named Spelguru's Server.
Got Ninja?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:32 pm »

Guru,what version of AB are you running?

I can ping the server but every time I try to connect I get stuck at the connection screen,the other server works fine.(although pings worse because it is in london)

Do make sure you are running the latest version.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 12:30:36 pm »

Version 1.6. Something came up right now irl though so I gotta split. :(

Probably my router acting up, I'll try to fix tomorrow since I'll have to be out the rest of the evening :(
Got Ninja?
Pages: [1] 2