Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War with elves, after worldgen  (Read 1696 times)

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War with elves, after worldgen
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:13:52 am »

Having just created my best fortress ever, only to find out that all the goblins in the world had been wiped out, so no sieges ever ( :'( ), I have started checking whether they are alive when I gen a new world. Anyway, in my current world, I went to check the civs list, only to find not only that the goblins were alive, but I was at war with the elves. Does this mean they will siege me, or not trade with me, or is it just superfluous.

Also, the fortress is conveniently located in 'The forests of stabbing'. No joke.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War with elves, after worldgen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:27:22 am »

Well you found yourself an awesome place to colonize, that's for sure.

The goblins may or may not still siege you, and the elves may or may not still trade with you.  It's hard to say because I've never seen that happen before.  But from what I understand, most of that info will be irrelevant until the army arc is completed.  Right now, sieges are sort of a pre-decided thing, with a bit of random generation based on world info, but not much. 

My roommate claims you can go to war with elves...but that might have been an earlier version.  Perhaps let things play out until you get a siege, and then let us know what happened/who was involved.  I'm kinda curious.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:09:17 am »

I think it means you'll get elf sieges.  They start out stealthed.  Have fun!

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

Cage traps them, or flood the world. Elves can't swim, as I found out.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:54:50 am »

Elves WILL siege and ambush you, and since they have [ambusher] tag you won't see their ambushes until your dwarves start turning into wooden arrow pincushions or they start running into your traps. Good luck.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »

Chain kittens along the border or build a wall

Say, if I made a cube out of clear glass and tossed a hunting dog inside, would it act as a sentry without needing replacement?

Nathiuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:58:27 pm »

Chain kittens along the border or build a wall
I quote someone's signature when I say:

Kobold: Quiet, kitty, qui-
Kitten: THEIF! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:38:20 pm »

Say, if I made a cube out of clear glass and tossed a hunting dog inside, would it act as a sentry without needing replacement?
No, as the animal needs to be adjacent to detect any other creature. If a wall is there instead, then there can be no detecting.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:21:40 pm »

I quote someone's signature when I say:

Kobold: Quiet, kitty, qui-
Kitten: THEIF! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!

Even more amusing when you imagine the kitten yell that with a deep baritone

Damn, guess I have to sacrifice some dogs for border duty then

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:59:31 am »

I just came back to this fortress, and made it to spring. I had the a vile force of darkness message appear, moved inside and waited. After a couple of minutes, they appeared... I had been training up a solid military before they had come in anticipation. You can see my wrestlers sparring in the background. Will post results after.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: No Casualties, around 10 cage traps and a professional marksdwarf took most out, 6 professional wrestlers dealt with the leftovers. (Had to savescum twice to get this result. First 2 times my marksdwarf was absent and traps not loaded.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:27:04 am by EchoP »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 06:36:42 am »

Now, if you could find a site where both elves and goblins were at war, Then piss of the humans, you'd have a hell of a mess to clean up...

(or, heck, even a site where elves were at war and goblins were ------, so they'd siege)
Magma is overrated.

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 08:02:13 am »

Now, if you could find a site where both elves and goblins were at war, Then piss of the humans, you'd have a hell of a mess to clean up...

(or, heck, even a site where elves were at war and goblins were ------, so they'd siege)
That is what I have now. Elven sieges in spring, goblin sieges for the rest. If I am really up for a challenge I could pick a fight with the humans.

The thing I found odd at world gen was that in my last world, I was at war with no one, and in this one, I was at war with the goblins and the elves.