Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ah...Sadly, my useless ores.  (Read 2525 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Ah...Sadly, my useless ores.
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:27:42 am »

Hi. I've been stumbling recently on a mysterious ore called Alunite. Upon investigation however, I've found that it does approximately nothing.  Does anyone have any uses for these kind of stones (The rest of stones are Obsidan.)?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Nero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Ah...Sadly, my useless ores.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:32:57 am »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Alunite#Other_Stone

Alunite is just a normal non-economic value 1 stone. The only thing that makes it special is that its "white", and constructions you make out of it will also be white.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:10:23 am »

With alunite and obsidian you could make a cool chessboard, and then whip up a bunch of statues to put on it.  Or maybe you could use different pieces of furniture for different chess pieces.  Statues for rooks, cabinets for bishops, coffers for knights, a quern for a queen, a floodgate for a king and chairs for pawns.  Floodgates don't have to be next to walls, right?

You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:20:16 am »

I modded out both alunite and microcline. Nothing is more irritating than having a big swath of cheap, useless bright cyan rock when you're trying to build nice subdued expensive noble's quarters.

Falcondude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:36:38 am »

Floodgates don't have to be next to walls, right?
Nope, and that's why people use floodgates for their 3 tile entrances (indoor trade depot, etc)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:48:20 am »

Hi!

Personally, I consider non-gray rocks to be a very useful source for colored blocks you can use in your building projects. Red fortifications are quite nice or building a black floor in a tower with a red 'c' depicted in its middle.

So, while economically not noteworthy, they can help you individualize your fortress.

Deathworks

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 08:09:01 am »

And let's not forget how useful coloured rock is for colour-coding your levers.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:29:32 am »

And let's not forget how useful coloured rock is for colour-coding your levers.
Now that we have notes, that's a bit less important, but it does still make things easier.

Personally I like having lots of different colored rocks, to make murals with.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 12:40:51 pm »

Hi!

Personally, I consider non-gray rocks to be a very useful source for colored blocks you can use in your building projects. Red fortifications are quite nice or building a black floor in a tower with a red 'c' depicted in its middle.

So, while economically not noteworthy, they can help you individualize your fortress.

Deathworks

Same for me.
I usually build my larger outside houses (for eample the stone storage house) with 5*5 tiles of a gray tone alternated with 1 tile wide intersections of a colored stone (like orthoclase, microcline or kaolinite). Makes them look really pretty.   

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:53 pm »

I modded out both alunite and microcline. Nothing is more irritating than having a big swath of cheap, useless bright cyan rock when you're trying to build nice subdued expensive noble's quarters.

Blasphemy, I love microcline!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:36:01 pm »

With alunite and obsidian you could make a cool chessboard, and then whip up a bunch of statues to put on it.  Or maybe you could use different pieces of furniture for different chess pieces.  Statues for rooks, cabinets for bishops, coffers for knights, a quern for a queen, a floodgate for a king and chairs for pawns.  Floodgates don't have to be next to walls, right?

I've GOT to try this :)

MICROLINE IS THE SHIT! I wish I had MORE Microline instead of alunite...alunite sucks.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 06:58:05 pm »

I like making the floors of my arenas out of microcline or orthoclase (preferably microcline). That way every spatter of blood stands out in stark contrast to the bright blue floors  8)

Alunite I use in the same way as any other rock; just another shade of grayscale for me.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 07:21:50 pm »

Quote from: JoRo
With alunite and obsidian you could make a cool chessboard, and then whip up a bunch of statues to put on it.

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:59:02 am by Bromor Neckbeard »

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:42:23 pm »

0-o dude, I think your message got fucked up
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:37:07 pm »

I think I'll combine two of the above suggestion. A chessboard arena. Hmm, too bad I can't get the undead wildlife to fight themselves.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*
Pages: [1] 2