Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Mod  (Read 1037 times)

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My First Mod
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:33:02 pm »

Hi!
i was wondering if anexperienced modder could make a Modding DF for Dummies
jokes, jokes,
i am new to modding DF and was wondering if i could get a few tips.
Will check the wiki while i wait
Cheers to ToadyOne for such a great game!

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:05:39 am »

The wiki was great for helping me. for changing eg.    [SWORDSMAN_NAME:swordsdwarf:swordsdwarves]
Would it be
   [SWORDSMAN_NAME:zorpii_slicer:zorpii_slicers]
???

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:40:07 am »

Why not. But why do you want a "_" in it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:07:19 am »

Well, being a complete noob to modding DF, i assumed that the underscore would become a space. iv since found out it dont, but having lots of fun with my Zorpians, who, like elves, are at peace with nature.
for more info on the Zorpians just ask

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:08:02 am »

Just start with manipulating existing creatures before making a new one, read the wiki on modding. And always, always test before going for a complete fortress. When something goes wrong during the test, try to find out what happened yourself rather than immediately asking on the forum. The best way to learn modding is by trial and error.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:25 am »

Your best place to start is probably here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Modding_Guide. You can always download other people's mods and check out what they did to change various aspects of the game. Just remember to always back up your work and test it out after you do each part (ie. adding a bunch of monsters), because if the game crashes with no errorlog the only thing you can do is reverse engineer it to try and figure out what you added that went wrong.

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:09:54 pm »

Thanks guys, im starting to get the hang of it. I didnt make a new Civ from scratch, i started with dwarves and added or changed stuff as i see fit. Thanks for the help.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:45 am »

The wiki was great for helping me. for changing eg.    [SWORDSMAN_NAME:swordsdwarf:swordsdwarves]
Would it be
???

Just remember that the only military name tags that function correctly are those for bows and crossbows. Currently, if you changed the name of swordsman to zorpii slicers, then as soon as they attained the mastery level, their profession would change from zorpii slicers to swordmasters. The only ones that do not currently function so are bowman and crossbowman, which if they were named zorpii slicers would then convert into elite zorpii slicers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:07:16 am »

Would it be
???

Just remember that the only military name tags that function correctly are those for bows and crossbows. Currently, if you changed the name of swordsman to zorpii slicers, then as soon as they attained the mastery level, their profession would change from zorpii slicers to swordmasters. The only ones that do not currently function so are bowman and crossbowman, which if they were named zorpii slicers would then convert into elite zorpii slicers.

Not all military it seems.. I still cant change a wrestlers name.. Is there a tag for that?
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 11:21:19 am »

Nope, only the professions that end in "man." I'm not sure if Toady plans to add in tags for the other professions.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.