Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate yourself as an omni potent leader?

Bad. I have done very bad things to my dwarfs.
- 11 (5.7%)
Not much of a great leader, but hey! I try my best, and still manage to have fun!
- 30 (15.5%)
I'm getting to being a decent leader.
- 40 (20.6%)
I've been around the block a few times.
- 51 (26.3%)
I have more skill than the average DF user
- 27 (13.9%)
I am so hardcore. I need to challenge myself to have fun with DF.
- 35 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: You current level of problem handling maturity, in DF.  (Read 4262 times)

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: You current level of problem handling maturity, in DF.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 02:47:08 pm »

First off, I never have any problems.

Unexpected consequences yes, but never problems.

Technically I never abandon a fort, however, I do start a new one and never go back to the old one because I had a Great Idea (tm).

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 03:15:17 pm »

Huh, diddn't expect these many replys.

Anyway I guess I should answer my own questions.

Carps[2] I've had carps, and I have had a wonderful fortress next to carps. The only problem was that the only source of water came from the river, and I needed water for my wounded dwarfs. Need less to say I never build my wells, or water holding rooms right.

Unicorns[3] The fortress I was talking about earlier had these beasts. Got three marksdwarfs/rangers,(whatever the hell you want to call them)! All stupidly deicided to go after these one horned devils, and I had not learned of the "Must get pig tail sock" syndrome. I had a dozen good dwarfs killed by these bastards!

Migrants[3] I see that single fisher dwarf being useful. As for the rest, well I tried my hand at making soap in one fort I had, I generated only a few hundred economy points from the two soapers I got. Decided they would be  more useful to test my first bridge a pult.

Very bad ambush[1] I can't decided whether it is bad that I abandon my fort or bad that I wait till the next one kills the rest of my dwarfs.

Walking meals[2] BAD! BAD! BAD! I hate these things! Honestly the most cats someone will ever need is just ten or a little more! Not thirty! Which is why I make sure to plan ahead, but than a ambush here, a theif there really stops my kitten killing machine! >:(

FPH(Frames per hour)[1] My recent last fort is running ran at 10-20FPS when I hit thirty-five citizens, usually it is suppose to cap at 35-50 FPS.

Noble[5] Nobles are always willing to have the most top room!  ;D

First siege[1-2] One when I am unprepared. Two when I am barely prepared.

!!Dwarf axeman!![1] I can see why boatmurdered fell so quickly.

Siege no more[?] Can't say I've gotten this far.

It seems that bordem is the reason good forts fall.

Is peace really that bad in DF? Besides that, anyone else think I should add more questions?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 05:19:37 pm »

[2] Carp - Well, last time I was next to a carp-infested river, I died. Also, cave rivers have a similar problem.
[5] Unicorns - I've never had difficulty killing them. Maybe it's an Elf plot against you Elf-slaughterers?
[5] Crappy migrants - M'eh. By the time the first migrant wave comes, my fort can survive with just the first seven. Anyone else is just extra hauling.
[5] AMBUSH! - It's happened often enough to me that I know how to survive now.
[5] Kittens - Butchers are always expendable.
[?] Lag - never had this problem. My computer is a monster compared to my old one.
[5] Nobles - Maybe I can get them to walk out in the middle of a goblin seige...
[5] Siege - Assuming, of course, at least 20 of my 80 dwarves survive.
[2] !!Dwarf!! - Well, if not too much burns down, I'll keep going... otherwise I'll flood the barracks and try to prevent that from happening on reclaim
[4] No sieges - Well, this is boring... guess I'll have to prosper instead.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:12:16 pm »

-You have fifty carp on your map, and they do not all die in the first winter.
[?, probably 2]

-You have unicorns which will just not leave you alone, and just keep coming back in herds.
[?, probably 3]

-It's your first migrant wave, and you have a soaper, a soaper, three fisher dwarfs, and a soaper. To add you have no weapons which to create your first military.
[4]

-First goblin ambush, and you loose half of your useful dwarfs.
[2]

-Your best laid plans in trying to get rid of your kittens results in them all being adopted by your butcher. YOU HAD THIRTY TINY WALKING MEALS IN THAT TIN CAGE!
[?, unthinkable]

-No matter how hard you seem to try your fort runs slower than a one legged horse.
[0,no tolerance for 1000s of pages of mountain goats]

-Another migrant wave! Let's see, a noble, a noble, three more nobles, and a soap maker. The hell is soap?
[3, if the first wave was the soaper one than 1]

-Your first siege.
[depends]

-An over looked dwarf who fought a fire monster returns to the barracks.
[depends]

-No more sieges...
[1]

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 03:06:59 pm »

Carp -         [4]  What else would I sacrifice my nobles to?
Unicorns -    [?]  Never played a good area, ever.
Migrants -    [4] 
Ambush -     [2] Ehh...  I'll try to ride it out, but if it comes in combination with any of the other stuff, I'll quit.
Kittens -      [?]    I've never had more than one cat in my fort at a time.
Slow -         [1]    Even with 100 dwarves on a 6x6 I've never seen the kinds of low FPS you guys are talking about. But I'll definitely quit if I see them.
Nobles -       [5]  I'll take them cheerfully, and kill them soon.
Siege -        [5]  Fall before my mighty war machine you pathetic green skins.
!!Dwarf!! -   [3]  Depends on the damage done.
No Sieges -  [1]  What is life if not to kill things?  Time to start over and mod in some nightwing and minotaur civs to be at war with.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 07:19:31 pm »

Carp -         [5] Dig reservoir, install grate, risk a miner for the last channel.
Unicorns -    [5] What, like they have a chance of overrunning my cage traps.
Migrants -    [5] Woo!  More Mason/Mechanic/Architect/Butcher/Tanners!
Ambush -     [3] All right!  Lead them into the traps my pretties- Hey!  Another one!  NO! NO!  YOU'RE RUNNING THE WRONG WAY, IDIOTS!
Kittens -      [?] Kittens are trade goods, not food.
Slow -         [3] Butcher the horses!  Butcher the cows!  Butcher the idlers!
Nobles -       [?] Despite trying, I have never gotten any higher than Mayor+Dungeon Master.
Siege -        [5] Come, little emissaries, deliver your offerings of iron...
!!Dwarf!! -   [?] Dwarves can catch on fire?
No Sieges -  [5] Finally, I can actually get some speed on building my exterior features.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »

[5] - Carp: I tend to avoid rivers, so not such a big deal.
[3] - Unicorns: depends on the damage. I won't try to shepherd a fort along with three living dwarves, but I'll generally try to come back otherwise.
[5] - Immigrants: Haulers! Wooo!
[3] - Goblins: See for unicorns. It depends on the damage they cause. Generally by the time goblins attack, I'm well beyond the point of being invulnerable.
[4] - Kittens: Well, crap. Depends on the framerate hit, but I'd probably butcher the butcher (hee) and deal with it.
[2] - Lag: I won't deal with a fort that's laggy before I hit 50 dwarves.
[5] - More migrants: More haulers! Wooo!
[5] - Siege: Free iron! Wooo! (Seriously, I've never been sieged before I hit the point of invulnerability.
[4] - Fire: I've (thankfully) only had to deal with a serious firestorm once. (Dragon attack). I more or less took it in stride: lots of doors helped. As with everything, it depends on the damage caused to the fort.
[3] - No sieges: =( It depends on what else is going on. If I'm dealing with wildlife and recalcitrant nobles, sure; otherwise, I'll probably get bored and abandon.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

blakyoshi7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 01:49:05 am »

-o noes carp on your map
[? I luckily have yet to encounter these mythical terrors known as 'carp']

-o noes unicorns on your map
[? The same as above]

-migrant wave! a soaper, a soaper, three fisher dwarfs, and a soaper.
[5 I actually like fisherdwarves, I prefer to have as much food generating capability as possible. As for soapers: what self-respecting dwarf needs a weapon to kick butt? You guys are all wrestlers now. You're expendable anyways]

[3 Crud. Okay, you're a mason, you're a miner, you're a... what you mean you don't know how? You're a dwarf, you'll learn!]

-Your best laid plans in trying to get rid of your kittens results in them all being adopted by your butcher. YOU HAD THIRTY TINY WALKING MEALS IN THAT TIN CAGE!
[4 Oh well, I still have plenty of fish.]

-No matter how hard you seem to try your fort runs slower than a one legged horse.
[?]

-Another migrant wave! Let's see, a noble, a noble, three more nobles, and a soap maker. The hell is soap?
[5 All right, noble room making time! Huh? You're not a noble? Welcome to the Fortress Guard.]

-Your first siege.
[5 Finally! Took 'em long enough. CLOSE THE DRAWBRIDGE! GET TO WORK ON THOSE TRAPS!]

[? Never had to deal with this, but: lock the stone doors, problem solved.]

-No more sieges...
[? Wait, what? Okay, Project Blow Yourselves Up is hereby underway.]

Life is but a twinkle, a winking of an eye...

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 11:54:45 am »

Carp - [5] - Don't mind them at all. Marksdwarves and Winter takes care of them.

Unicorns - [5] - I get them regularly. Fixed by conscripting entire immigrant waves.

Immigrants - [5] - Soldiers!

Goblin Ambush - [5] - Simple. Use the immigrants if the good dwarves die. It's amazingly easy and fast to train any profession up to Legendary level.

Kitten Ambush - [5] - Lock the butcher in a room full of traps, throw the kittens off a tower when he dies. Simple.

Lag - [5] - [SPEED:1] fixes that nicely. Also, I never play on anything bigger than 2x2. 4x1 wins it massively.

Goblin Siege - [5] - Don't make me laugh. I drop a bridge on them. That's not simply atom-smashing them, but CAVING THE BRIDGE ON THEM. Besides, the usual local wildlife deals with them in short order.

Fire - [5] - Sit back, laugh, and wait for the kittens to explode. [SEVERONBREAKS] is your friend. Whatever happens... happens. If it's a good fortress, I'll just lock the doors and watch the dwarves on fire die a slow and painful death. See: Goblin Ambush.

No Sieges - [5] - Don't mind as much. I always have a good megaproject to build. I can just dump the river into the fortress at any rate.

So, uh... Was this supposed to be hard?
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:21 pm »

[4] Only abandoned once under this scenario. was my No marksdwarf challange fort, made getting ride of them very hard.

-You have unicorns which will just not leave you alone, and just keep coming back in herds.
[4] Lock the door and hope for the best

-It's your first migrant wave, and you have a soaper, a soaper, three fisher dwarfs, and a soaper. To add you have no weapons which to create your first military.
[5] Some of them are now trainee blacksmiths, the rest get sent the the pumps to become the fodder brigade using the low quality weapons the novices produce.

[3] Time to forbid a ton of socks.

[5] Kill the butcher. Legendary Dining room will console his spouse.

[?] maybe because Im sitting on a pretty potent rig, but I never have this trouble. I get the odd jerk when I order over 9000 socks to be dumped, but nothing bad.

[5] Get to design super cool bedrooms, and kill dwarves without feeling bad about it!

-Your first siege.
[5] man the ballista!

[3] Lock the door: begin damage control

-No more sieges...
[1] rage, especially if the super death trap has just been completed.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 07:37:44 am »

Carp -         [5] I call this the "No fishedwarf chalenge"
Unicorns -    [5] I know what soap is. It's the preferred building material around here.
Migrants -    [5] Even if I do have weapons, I put useless dwarfs in the military as wrestlers before giving them weapons.
Ambush -     [5] Dogs + Fortifications + Merchants + Migrants wrestlers
Kittens -      [5] If the butcher is adopting his lunch, he isn't fit to be a butcher. Re-task him to the military. The catsplosion will solve itself shortly.
Slow -         [5] I press the "Turbo" button on my tower.
Nobles -       [5] Assign them levers. Assign the levels to be pulled forever. Keeps them busy.
Siege -        [5] Dogs + Fortifications + Butcher + Kittens
!!Dwarf!! -   [5] Lock the doors. Wait for another wave of migrants.
No Sieges -  [5] Laugh last.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 08:32:34 am »

Carp [5] Easy enough to completely ignore with a little preparation. (Build reservoir, add grate, channel final tile to connect, restrict shore, build caravan blocking pylons if required)

Unicorns [5] Something to do between invasions.

Migrants [5] I love surface construction, all useless migrants get assigned to construction.

Ambush [3] This indicates either a severe error in my defenses or a bunch of dead guys from the last question.  I would rather it not happen, but its not enough to make me abandon.

Kittens [3]  Doesn't bug me until my FPS starts dropping, then it's what death pits were made for.  Its fun watching the parts from 11 creatures all go flying when they hit the bottom at the same time.

Slow [2] My greatest weakness.  I actually play with the FPS cap at 25 which is unbearably slow for many.  But once my FPS dropps to 10 or less I start trying to speed it back up again.  Usually to no effect.

Nobles [5] Keep them happy.  Nobles with insane blue diamond or starmetal(I'm a modder) demands get a "Three strikes and you learn to fly" system.  But even then I usually forget to punish them.

Seige [5] About damn time!  Military to the walls!  Drawbridge? Pfft, drawbridges are for elves!  Keep it lowered!

!!Dwarf!! [5](3) In an unmodded game they usually die before they can do enough damage to worry me, I can always close off the food stockpile or the barracks, if the fire gets out of control.  In my modded game with creatures that can't be damaged by fire(they can still catch fire though)  I have a guy wandering around the fort for about a year before he finally goes out.  You can lock him up if you catch it but what if you don't get "Died from heat" messages?

No more Seiges [4]  The world gets copied.  One copy gets immortalized in a hall of fame folder. The other gets destroyed in some spectacular way. (Using utilities if availible) Zombie apocalypse, lava flood, all goblin corpses revived and turned into collosi, that kind of thing.  After the destruction, I continue with another fort or an adventurer.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 03:08:36 am »

Carp: 5 Always a nice challenge.

Unicorns: 5 Unicorn meat anyone?

Migrants: 5 I'm sorry did you say you were a soaper? 'Cause I could've sworn I heard "herbalist". Now my seven don't have to worry about carp or unicorns.

Ambush: 5 That still leaves the other half of my useful dwarves, so I'm still good.

Kittens: 5 Hmm, I don't need the food usually, and the kittens could prove useful in getting goblins to attack them instead of my useful dwarves.

FPS: 5 Bah, slower FPS just means more time for me to notice problems or set up orders without pausing!

Nobles: 5 Hmm, perhaps I should look into this...sop? Is that what you call it? Anyways, trade it for weapons. And, if the nobles get upset, not like I care about them.

Siege: 5 I love sieges.

!!Dwarf!!: 5 Forbid items on corpse, goota love that feature. Make my entire military on-duty and get them the hell out of there and create a new barracks.

No more sieges: 5 Chance to rest and make my huge tower of ultimate doom.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 02:24:28 am »

Carp:  5  Awesome!  Now I don't even have to build a barracks to train my Marksdwarves, just a line of fortifications.

Unicorns:  5  Now that I know the difference between microcline and a furniture stockpile, this is just a perpetual supply of trade goods and meat marching right into my fortress.  Sure, my dwarves can get killed, if I let them.  I've never seen a unicorn win against ten stone short swords in a weapon trap, though.

Migrant:  5  "Look, being a soaper is almost exactly like being a Hammerdwarf.  It's exactly the same except instead of making soap you hit things with a big hammer.  Now get to the barracks and start sparring.  Wax on, wax off!  And as far as you go, fishing is exactly like using an axe, except intead of a worm on the end of your pole it has a big metal wedge.  So, off to the barracks with you."

Ambush:  2  I'll do my level best to rise from the ashes like a Dwarven Phoenix.  The ashes MAY be literal if I start having tantrum spirals, but I'll give it a shot.

Kittens:  ?  "Admires cats for their aloofness" is actually a stronger reason to be a Farmer or Brewer in my forts than having the Farming or Brewing skills.  It's an automatic disqualification for Butcher, so this never happens.

FPS:  1  My next fort will have wider halls and more consideration given to pathfinding.

Nobles:  4  Out of everybody on this forum, Othob Rithol's signature is my favorite.  Not only is it humorous, it's true.  As long as your mandates are fulfillable with what I have, I'll give them a shot.  When you start asking for stuff that I don't have and can't trade for, the goddamn Oompa-Loompas are going to be writing a song about you in short order.

Siege:  5  Well, now it's time to see if my elaborate defenses work as well in reality as they do in my mind.  ARRRMOK!

Fire:  3  "No, don't go in there!  Aw, my entire food stockpile's BURNING!  Oh, damn, my booze is blowing up too!  Just fall down and die already, don't, oh God, not the dining hall..." *facepalm*  Well, on the bright side, the five dwarves that are left have their pick of the best rooms in the fortress, once they scrub up the soot and corpse chunks.  Get to work repopulating, guys.  Oh, that commandment about incest is more of a "suggestion" than a hard and fast "rule" in a situation like this.

No More Sieges:  2  "Well, let's see if I offer you this bin of wooden idols a hundred times, will you take it on the hundredth time?  I'm sure that by 'no', you really meant 'yes if only you ask me a lot more', right, you pointy-eared sonofabitch?"  I've never heard of this happening.  See, the way I look at it, those damned elves try to siege me every spring without fail.  Look at the way they sneak up to my trade depot and infiltrate it.  They've gotta be up to something, time for a pre-emptive strike!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 11:34:47 pm »

[5] My dwarves do very little for the first year except dig, build, fell trees or drag stone out to the stockpile by the front door. I also tend to dig out all the rooms I'm going to need for about the next five years in one go soon after arrival, and the only person not handed a pickaxe is the guy humping big lumps of stone out to the stockpile by the front door between carpentry and tree-felling jobs. Carp? Pfft.

[5] See above, and I'm also careful to assign a couple of war dogs to anyone who needs to venture beyond the outer gate on a regular basis.

[4] More food, bone and the odd shell will always be useful, and it's generally about this time that I get to thinking it's time to sand down the corridors and maybe get some engraving done.

[3] Not had this happen yet, thank heavens, but it depends which half; I could probably muddle through unless they took out everyone who's any good at farming before I'd filled the larder and/or made enough goods to trade for food.

[n/a] See below, and in any case they keep the vermin down.

[5] Never got it down below 20 FPS, and in any case I usually get things ticking over and then read or go hang out in an IRC channel with one eye on the DF window for anything that needs my immediate attention.

[3] Well, I suppose it's as good an incentive as any to start digging out something a bit nicer than the massive bunkhouse that's been doing for everyone since we fetched up here.

-Your first siege.
[5] By the time I'm rich or populous or whatever to interest them there's been time to raise a six-foot stone wall around the main entrance and everything that can't be kept outdoors for one reason or another, and carve out a long and relatively narrow entrance hall with fortified positions for my marksdwarves and a few traps to soften them up in case they bring some trolls for siege weapon duty.

[n/a] I've read enough about fire on here and in the wiki to swear off magma as more trouble than it's worth; the one really useful thing the elven traders usually bring with them is wood, I've always got excess stone lying around and anyone with nothing better to do can tend the charcoal ovens, which I always site outside just to be certain.

-No more sieges...
[5] See 'Your first siege'; pending the inclusion of goblin battering rams, they're really just a bit of a nuisance as long as you plan ahead, and I find the socio-economic aspects of the game a lot more interesting anyway
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3